PDA

View Full Version : Ammo restrictions passed?

E Pluribus Unum
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I did not think that AB692 had passed yet.

I went to Walmart and they said 5 days ago a new ammo ban went into effect limiting the amount of ammo that could be purchased per month.

What is the story on that?

glockman19
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
?

FUD

glockk9mm
05-05-2009, 11:33 AM

I went to Walmart and they said 5 days ago a new ammo ban went into effect limiting the amount of ammo that could be purchased per month.

I think they are refering to their store policy of 6 items of ammo, I seen a sign @ my local Walmart on Saturday stating only 6 items per customer a day

HotRails
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Possibly a misinterpretation of a company policy? I had read somewhere they were going to limit the amount to four boxes per customer. But this could also be FUD...

CWM4A1
05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I just went to WalMart on Saturday out of curiosity, to see how bad the ammo situation is. Well, other than some 17HMR and 12GA target shotgun shells, they are pretty much out of everything.

I think this limitation is to stop few people from taking all the stock at once. But even then, it would just slow down speed of sale... Sold out of stock in 2 hours instead of sold out in 15 minutes, and that may still be an optimistic estimate.

bwiese
05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
WalMart may not have ammo.

It has nothing to do with AB962, which is merely a proposed bill - it has not passed both houses nor has been signed or vetoed by Governor.

Relying on WalMart clerks for political analysis is like relying on your plumber for a colon exam.

putput
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
What if the plumber is a chick and really hot? Just sayin....

It has nothing to do with AB962, which is merely a proposed bill - it has not passed both houses nor has been signed or vetoed by Governor.

Relying on WalMart clerks for political analysis is like relying on your plumber for a colon exam.

Legasat
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM

LOL! Excellent point!

My local Walmart has limited ammo purchases to 6 items (boxes).

MKE
05-05-2009, 1:00 PM
What if the plumber is a chick and really hot? Just sayin....:eek: :D ...lmao

fairfaxjim
05-05-2009, 1:16 PM

Now that's a snake of a different color! :eek:

BTW - Boycott WalMart!

dfletcher
05-05-2009, 1:29 PM

Well, it does occur to me that there are some transferable job skills between the two .....

bohoki
05-05-2009, 2:05 PM
:eek: :D ...lmao

haa dusty gazongas time

http://www.spike.com/video/dusty-gazongas/2687158

soundwave
05-05-2009, 2:07 PM
Maybe they're just pessimists.

Legasat
05-05-2009, 3:46 PM
BTW - Boycott WalMart!

Um, seriously???

Gio
05-05-2009, 3:50 PM
Ha ha Boycott Wal-Mart yeah right :rolleyes: Have a better chance of hurting other organizations beofre you ever hurt Wal-Mart.

Better to educate the pimply faced liars then to boycott them, then again I could just about never step foot in one because I reload my own 9mm and .45 so almost no need to go there.

-Gio

97F1504RAD
05-05-2009, 4:39 PM
I got an interesting form e mail reply today from DIANE L. HARKEY

Here is the what appears to me to be a formed letter reply. The portions AI highlighted were of much smaller type in the email.

Dear Richard:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding our mutual gun rights in California. First, let me be clear - I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms. I do not support AB 962 and will oppose it in Appropriations Committee.

I believe AB 962 puts more limitations on the rights of legal gun owners. This bill will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or dangerous people living in our communities. Limiting the transfer or sale of ammunition to 50 rounds per month, the equivalent of one box of handgun ammunition, will have a devastating impact on legal firearms retailers. Average sales volumes regularly exceed the proposed limit, which would subject the majority of firearms business owners to a new set of bureaucratic rules and regulations regarding licensure, storage and sale procedures. This would force many small businesses that rely on ammunition sales as their primary revenue to incur additional costs in order to comply with the provisions of AB 962. As one may guess, such costs would definitely be passed along to the consumer. This burdensome and unnecessary regulation would drive a sizable number of retailers out of business altogether.

Further, AB 962 would hinder the ability of law abiding citizens to transfer ownership of ammunition between private parties such as family members by requiring individuals to be licensed by the Department of Justice if the 50-round thresholds are exceeded.

This outrageous proposal adds yet another layer of red tape where appropriate regulation already exists and infringes further upon individual freedoms of every California citizens’ Right to Bear Arms.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to make your voice heard – I stand with you on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff at (949) 347-7301 if I may be of further service.

Sincerely,

DIANE L. HARKEY

Assemblywoman, 73rd District

fairfaxjim
05-05-2009, 4:59 PM
Um, seriously???

Very! Not because of anything to do with ammo. Do a little research on WalMart's business practices, from how they deal with the communities that they put their stores in, to their employees, to their suppliers, and what the ripple and trickle down effect truly is to the economy and way of life for those that they do it to.

The truly sad part is that 1. WalMart will one day be the only retailer available, and 2. None of us in the U.S. will have jobs that pay enough to allow us to shop anywhere but WalMart, if even there. WalMart is to retail what derivitives were to the financial industry.

JDay
05-05-2009, 5:16 PM

That bill is being heard tomorrow.

BroncoBob
05-05-2009, 6:28 PM
More FUD PUCKERS from Wallyworld employee. Most likely just a company policy due to people buying up all stock on a single purchase.

Librarian
05-05-2009, 7:52 PM
That bill is being heard tomorrow.... and after Appropriations, will have second and third readings before the entire Assembly and then a vote.

If it passes Assembly, it'll go to the Senate - Public Safety and then Appropriations committees, then full Senate.

If it passes Senate, then there may be some reconciliation of versions, then on to the Governor.

Generally new California laws take effect in January - so it's a good idea to be skeptical if you hear about a change that supposedly happened some other month.

gazzavc
05-05-2009, 9:46 PM

Speaking of super hot lady plumbers, has anyone seen the Kohler toilet commercial..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RLXfxtouE

ByteMe72
05-06-2009, 8:16 AM
Wal-Mart has implemented a company-wide policy of limiting sales of handgun and rifle ammunition to six boxes per customer per day. The reason for this policy is obvious. There have been numerous complaints on lots of boards from guys that showed up just seconds too late, and having to watch some moron ring up a CART FULL of ammunition at one throw. There are individuals out there literally buying up every box of every kind of ammo that comes off the truck, the moment it shows up.

For those of us that buy our ammo at Wal-Mart, and also practice fiscal restraint (i.e. we don't max out our credit cards buying CARTS FULL of ammo at one sitting), this is a godsend. Finally, there might actually be a box or two of .22 lr or maybe even (gasp!) a 9mm value pack sitting on the shelf when we breeze by on the way to the range.

Whatever you may think of Wal-Mart otherwise, they have continued to be an ammunition supplier in a State that has gone completely bonkers in regards to the Second Ammendment. That alone makes me give them a grudging repect, in spite of their questionable business practices and labor policies. Wal-Mart is definitely one of those love/hate kind of propositions.

For those that advocate reloading: have you priced out components lately? Have you been able to FIND ANY components lately? Have you compared the cost of components at today's prices vs. Wal-Mart 9mm value pack? Once you've shot through your stock of parts, you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us... Gleefully spouting off about how everybody should "just reload" is NOT helping.

batray
05-06-2009, 8:58 AM
I stopped at the Palmdale Walmart on my way out to the desert on Friday morning. My Huntington Beach Walmart was wiped clean of ammo. They say they get a shipment almost every night and it is gone by the afternoon. They now limit customers to 6 boxes of any one kind of ammo so they don't buy out the entire stock.

At the Palmdale store, it was 7:50AM and the guy in front of me was buying everything he could. After he went through and then then I bought a few things, there was almost nothing left but bulk shot shells.

fairfaxjim
05-06-2009, 9:12 AM
Wal-Mart has implemented a company-wide policy of limiting sales of handgun and rifle ammunition to six boxes per customer per day. The reason for this policy is obvious. There have been numerous complaints on lots of boards from guys that showed up just seconds too late, and having to watch some moron ring up a CART FULL of ammunition at one throw. There are individuals out there literally buying up every box of every kind of ammo that comes off the truck, the moment it shows up.

For those of us that buy our ammo at Wal-Mart, and also practice fiscal restraint (i.e. we don't max out our credit cards buying CARTS FULL of ammo at one sitting), this is a godsend. Finally, there might actually be a box or two of .22 lr or maybe even (gasp!) a 9mm value pack sitting on the shelf when we breeze by on the way to the range.

Whatever you may think of Wal-Mart otherwise, they have continued to be an ammunition supplier in a State that has gone completely bonkers in regards to the Second Ammendment. That alone makes me give them a grudging repect, in spite of their questionable business practices and labor policies. Wal-Mart is definitely one of those love/hate kind of propositions.

For those that advocate reloading: have you priced out components lately? Have you been able to FIND ANY components lately? Have you compared the cost of components at today's prices vs. Wal-Mart 9mm value pack? Once you've shot through your stock of parts, you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us... Gleefully spouting off about how everybody should "just reload" is NOT helping.

WalMart quit selling guns in CA when the DOJ hassled them on paperwork errors. What will you do when ALL of the stores that USED to sell ammo are gone because WalMart put them out of business with goofy cheap pricing and predatory purchasing practices with the ammo wholesalers AND WalMart caves in to the lefties again over some hassle with ammo and quits selling it. You better believe that if the state finds a way, and they are working on it as we speak, to make selling ammo cheap more trouble than it is worth, WalMart will drop it like a hot potato. They won't risk the cash cow over ammo.

Let's see, internet sales and WalMart have put all the mom/pop gunstores out of the ammo business. CA legislature gets it's way, even partly, and makes ammo sales impossible via internet and too much hassle for WalMart. What you gonna do? Oh yeah, the only jobs left are at stores like WalMart, and they don't pay enough to buy ammo anyway, so it won't matter. Besides, since they don't provide health care, your WalMart level wages are taxed 50%+ (all the corporations are now in places like Bangladesh, Obama ran them off with taxes) to pay for govt. funded health care that you have to go to the DMV (or a place like it) to see your doctor, you will only need one bullet, to put yourself out of your misery. :mad:

Rant off, sopbox CLEAR!

Rhys898
05-06-2009, 9:57 AM
I don't know how it is in your town, but in Santa Clarita we have had a wash in the number of places that we could by ammo. From the time I moved here in '84 until I graduated high school in '94 we had two guns stores in Santa Clarita. One was Blue Star Arms which closed in '94. The other was Newhall Hardware, that had two 6 foot glass cases, one approx. 30cu.ft. safe and 12 feet of wall space for guns and shelves of ammo and reloading components. The other 1500sq.ft. was a old school hardware store. They closed last year. We also had Big 5 and Kmart. Kmart got rid of their guns and ammo 7 or 8 years back. Since Blue Star's closing we have gained three Walmarts that all stock ammo. And Newhall Hardware closed because we had 2 Home Depots, 2 Lowe's, a Do It Center, an OSH, and a Sears in a city of less than 300K. We are also adding within the next couple months a Dicks Sporting Goods which I know will carry ammo (I'm not sure if they will carry guns). LA City and County is why we are short on gun stores around here, and Cal DOJ is why Walmart no longer carries guns.

If you really want to hear about a company that is screwing over employee's look at Target. Our local Target is hiring people left a right. Want to know why??? because they are only promising each employee 1 4-6 hour shift a week. If someone calls in sick you may get another. But their regular employees are pretty much locked into less than 12 hours a week.

highpowermatch
05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
bwise "
Relying on WalMart clerks for political analysis is like relying on your plumber for a colon exam. " LOL almost shot coffee out my nose.

fairfaxjim
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
WallMart is being cited because it is the biggest of the predatory retailers, not the only one. However, it is so far and away MUCH larger than even all of the lesser players combined that it will be the only major, if not the ONLY player left in a high stakes game. It is no accident that your small town is getting a bunch of big box stores. Many of them will milk the tax concessions that they got for locating there, and then move on down the line to the next small town to do the same. That, coupled with practices like Target's that you cited, leaves no money for people to survive, pay property taxes, nor leaves cities the tax revenue they need to support themselves. These stores usually do not even provide enough revenue to support their own extra burden on the municipality.

Super Spy
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Wallymart out of state doesn't seem to care.....bought one out of stock of 45ACP while passing thru a few weeks back.

Sandman511
05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
:fud:

E Pluribus Unum
05-12-2009, 1:25 AM
Hmmm... I just had an interesting thought.

Walmart lost a civil court case where they restricted street vendors from selling things in their parking lot and at the doors. In the judgment, it was ruled that because Walmart was open for business to the public, the vendors had a constitutional right to freedom of assembly even on their private property.

There are also countless court cases that point to the fact that businesses cannot be selective in their services to the public based on constitutionally protected rights. I.E. A restaurant cannot refuse to serve a black man, or a gay man, et cetera.

That being said:

We have a constitutionally-protected right to possess firearms for personal defense.

I would also argue that we have a corollary right to purchase firearms and we therefor have a corollary right to purchase ammunition for that firearm.

With this new walmart policy of only selling 6 boxes of ammo per person could that not be a violation of our corollary right to purchase ammo? After all, would that not be the same as the government limiting our right to purchase only 6 firearms?

It would never happen... but it is fruit for thought. :)

nick
05-12-2009, 1:37 AM

He might have a better idea than some of the doctors I know. Not to mention that he's in the related business :)

Wild Squid
05-12-2009, 2:50 AM

Bravo! Not everyone is cut out for reloading. I have no desire to buy all the parts, nor do I have the time to load one bullet at a time. I just want to buy and shoot. But sadly too many people think the end of the world is coming and need to have hundreds of thousands of rounds stockpiled to be ready for the WAR or some funny business. And I'm sick of hearing THAT'S CAPITALISM. No that ain't. That's stupid! And you know what the truth is? Some of you gun owners really are scary nut cases. Some of you have no business owning a gun. And no, not everyone on this board is a law abiding citizen. Just because you have a Calguns account does not mean you are. And judging by some off color remarks I've read on this board, I have a clue who some of you may be. Some people really do F it up for everyone else.

aileron
05-12-2009, 5:35 AM

Then you're really weird if that's what you want her to do to you.

RideIcon
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I went to Walmart and they said

You seriously started a thread to tell us you listen to what a walmart employee said to you? wow....:kest:

jasilva
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Then you're really weird if that's what you want her to do to you.

I'd be okay with her doing that to me, along with a few other things that come to mind.

just sayin'

bambihunter
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Am I alone in thinking good for the guy who just bought a **** ton of ammo? Why should it be rationed? If he got there before you and you needed ammo isn't it your fault that you lagged?

freonr22
05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Bravo! Not everyone is cut out for reloading. I have no desire to buy all the parts, nor do I have the time to load one bullet at a time. I just want to buy and shoot. But sadly too many people think the end of the world is coming and need to have hundreds of thousands of rounds stockpiled to be ready for the WAR or some funny business. And I'm sick of hearing THAT'S CAPITALISM. No that ain't. That's stupid! And you know what the truth is? Some of you gun owners really are scary nut cases. Some of you have no business owning a gun. And no, not everyone on this board is a law abiding citizen. Just because you have a Calguns account does not mean you are. And judging by some off color remarks I've read on this board, I have a clue who some of you may be. Some people really do F it up for everyone else.

politely, you do realize you are on a gun board that promotes, and advocates gun ownership? and yes i agree with you to a point that people are SCARED. but isnt this is what America is about? Freedom of thought, pursuits of happiness? I'm just not sure i totally understand your point/rant. could you explain more? I'm pretty open minded and would be interested in what you have to say in greater detail

Fate
05-12-2009, 1:28 PM
Some of you gun owners really are scary nut cases. Some of you have no business owning a gun. And no, not everyone on this board is a law abiding citizen. Just because you have a Calguns account does not mean you are. And judging by some off color remarks I've read on this board, I have a clue who some of you may be.
:ban:the :troll:

jasilva
05-12-2009, 1:41 PM
:ban:the :troll:

No don't do that, it's more fun watching the troll jump up and down waving his arms and spouting nonsense.:willy_nilly: :nuts:

DRH
05-12-2009, 2:03 PM
politely, you do realize you are on a gun board that promotes, and advocates gun ownership? and yes i agree with you to a point that people are SCARED. but isnt this is what America is about? Freedom of thought, pursuits of happiness? I'm just not sure i totally understand your point/rant. could you explain more? I'm pretty open minded and would be interested in what you have to say in greater detail

He is just pissed off that he did not have the foresight to buy a bunch of ammo when it was cheap and stockpile it. When I want to go shooting, I just go into the garage and pick out the ammo I need. I could do that for a very long time and not worry about running out. I don't have to go to walmart and try to get lucky or stand in a line before the store opens. I paid a fraction of what you will pay for your ammo today when I bought my ammo a while ago.
Yet somehow with all these factors considered, your the intelligent one and those who performed the careful pre-planning are the stupid nut jobs :thumbsup:.

freonr22
05-12-2009, 2:04 PM
i agree, i was attempting to get non rant/coherent dialog...

RideIcon
05-12-2009, 2:59 PM
Am I alone in thinking good for the guy who just bought a **** ton of ammo? Why should it be rationed? If he got there before you and you needed ammo isn't it your fault that you lagged?

I agree, limiting is the first step in setting up peoples minds that a law should be passed.
yeah it sucks, I haven't been able to find ammo of any kinda in months, but the limiting ammo thing and people, especially gun people thinking its cool really freaks me out as to what were setting ourselves up for...

MikeinnLA
05-12-2009, 3:39 PM
Speaking of super hot lady plumbers, has anyone seen the Kohler toilet commercial..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RLXfxtouE

LOL. I actually have that very toilet and it actually IS that good.

Mike

HowardW56
05-13-2009, 9:30 AM

I've got a drain camera, I'll give you a discount on your next colonoscopy... I'll even videotape it for you...

E Pluribus Unum
05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I agree, limiting is the first step in setting up peoples minds that a law should be passed.
yeah it sucks, I haven't been able to find ammo of any kinda in months, but the limiting ammo thing and people, especially gun people thinking its cool really freaks me out as to what were setting ourselves up for...

Count me in... it is scary what MANY of the "gun people" say now adays.

532Fastback
05-16-2009, 8:34 AM
I heard this same thing from some of my crew members that there is some new law against ammo and thats why walmart and other stores never have ammo on the shelves anymore.

battlehatch
05-16-2009, 8:41 AM
I spoke with the guy at my local Walmart and he said that the 6 box limit was because of a massive amount of complaints to corporate that folks were buying everything up. I guess there were employees that were getting kickbacks for calling when shipments came in. I know it sucks, but at least I can buy some ammo now. I just go buy my six boxes a day.

squatting_caveboy
05-17-2009, 1:05 AM
Boycott Walmart? Uhm, no thanks. Cheapest ammo around (when they have it) On second thought, please boycott Walmart and I'll buy your allotted ammo...cheers :)