PDA

View Full Version : Need a gunsmith for Colt 357 South Bay

bronco1500
05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
My buddy has an old Colt 357 that he inherited from his grandfather. He claims that the trigger gets harder to pull at the end of the trigger travel. He is in San Jose. Who would be a gunsmith capable of workin/fixing this problem. Also does anybody know what this might be from?

Thank you all! YOur help is greatly appreciated

TheBundo
05-06-2009, 2:15 AM
I'll buy it

chilly_bill
05-06-2009, 9:52 AM
That's how they're supposed to be. I'll buy it too.

bronco1500
05-06-2009, 6:48 PM
ha ha I said the same thing! I guess his gradpa carried it for 20 years as a San Jose Cop. Even shot a few people with it. Its got family sentimental ties so alas it will stay in his family and not any of ours. You can imagine with that kind of story behind it needs to go to a quality smith.

jazman
05-06-2009, 7:13 PM
It's called trigger stacking, and unless it's really dramatic it's the way it should be. If the gun shoots good both DA and SA I would tell him to leave it alone. Colt wheelguns are a lot more tricky than all the rest, unless he finds a real pro Colt smith he is better off not messing with it. If he has a year or two to wait and wants to make it better than right have him look up Grant Cunningham in Oregon: http://www.grantcunningham.com

D.R.E.
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Just posted a thread on how to fix colt stacking in the gunsmithing section: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187483

The classic way is to put in a trigger with a sear that curves (rather than being straight) so the force is roughly constant as you pull rather than starting close to zero and then building up.

Grant is great, but even his wait list is closed. Cylinder and slide have great reputations but have around a 9 month waitlist.

Frank Glenn can do this and is pretty fast. He built all of Brian Enos's revolvers and a bunch of Rob Leathams. They won a bunch of stuff.

sqroot3
05-27-2009, 8:47 AM
haha. there is a south bay in the bay area, the los angeles area, and the san diego area! any others that i'm missing?

dfletcher
05-27-2009, 2:21 PM
My buddy has an old Colt 357 that he inherited from his grandfather. He claims that the trigger gets harder to pull at the end of the trigger travel. He is in San Jose. Who would be a gunsmith capable of workin/fixing this problem. Also does anybody know what this might be from?

Thank you all! YOur help is greatly appreciated

I'd suggest a complete cleaning first, gunsmithing 2nd.

The gun could be an old model Trooper, a New Service or even the Colt "357" model - basically the same set up, the Trooper & 357 are the forebears of the Python. A very smooth but rather involved action, it does tend to slowly stack as the DA trigger is pulled.

Given that these guns are going on +50 years old and in the case of the New Service almost 70 years, there may be some gunk in the action or cylinder. Great thing about the Colt is that you can easily cock the action with the cylinder swung out, isolate whether the cylinder is binding.

Just as a basic test, I'd say swing out the cylinder and thumb cock the action. If it takes steady, smooth pressure then I'd say the action is probably fine. Note the cylinder bolt should drop and fall, the hand should poke out from the left side of the frame. Give the ejector rod a little twist. The cylinder should spin without spots of resistance. You may find that there is burnt powder and old oil built up on the cylinder stem that needs to be cleaned out.

You may want to take it to Sportmans or San Jose Gun Exchange, just have them take a look & verify all is well.