PDA

View Full Version : I'm offering super, super super cheap Duracoating

wcnones
05-05-2009, 2:15 AM
I'm offering Duracoating services to Calgunners, including all of the prep work required before applying the finish.

My fee is a simple one: you order the Duracoat in whatever color(s) you want. You bring your firearm and the Duracoat over to my house. I clean, degrease, mask and prep your firearm, then hit it with however many coats of Duracoat are required. You inspect weapon and then determine what you think is a fair price. Regardless of what you deem to be an appropriate fee, I keep the remaining Duracoat.

I suppose $50 for handguns and $75 for long guns is relatively fair, assuming I'm shooting a single color. Multiple colors and/or camo jobs are worth a good $25 or so additional, depending on what kind of job you want done.

I promise this much: if you absolutely hate the end result (not the color, as you are picking it out, but the actual spray job), I won't take a dime from you. I also promise that if you don't think my work was worth what I've quoted above, you can name your price and I'll honor it. Just know that if you tell me my work is worth $10 and I know you're trying to get work done on the cheap, I'll charge you $10 but post the experience here on Calguns in an effort to make you look like a jerk. That being said, if you are truly disappointed in my work, I'll charge you what you ask and I won't make the slightest fuss about it.

If you are interested, shoot me a PM with the title "I want you to Duracoat my baby". Local interest is easiest, as I do not have an FFL and have no idea what kind of requirements I need to meet in order to accept a shipment with a registered firearm in it...I'm fairly certain that I'd be flirting with a felony but please chime in if I'm wrong.

I can prep, spray and heat-cure in about 4 hours, so local folks can swing by and wait while I'm hard at work.

I am located in Southern California, zip code 91784. I won't be able to do much until the 15th of this month, but I may be able to squeeze one or two in between now and then. Just be aware that Duracoat, when shipped from the manufacturer, takes a good week to arrive.

Here's a pic of my AR after Duracoating it:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/allfde2.jpg

Here's my former Desert Eagle after I Duracoated it for its new owner:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/brandjury/duracoatdeserteagle13.jpg

RANDO
05-05-2009, 2:44 AM
i may be interested. how durable is duracoat compared to regular spray paint? does it discolor? or is it effected by high heat? and does it have to be stripped of the previous finish?

wcnones
05-05-2009, 6:10 AM
All good questions....I did a ton of guns with Rustoleum and had been very happy with it, but Duracoat is far, far better. Much more durable, much more chip/scratch resistant, holds heat well, and the previous finish can sometimes help Duracoat stick better.

wcnones
05-05-2009, 3:03 PM
I've got two takers so far, and can only fit in a couple more in the immediate future. Lemme know if you want to get this done sooner rather than later...and thanks for the interest!

RANDO
05-05-2009, 8:40 PM
sorry to bother again. what about disassembly of the firearm do you do that. like the front and rear sights, mag and slide catch levers on handguns or the internals like springs and firing pins? i am just unsure of the procedure and am curious about what needs to be done prior to. but looks like good results in your pics.

1lostinspace
05-05-2009, 8:42 PM
I thought you only do spray jobs not duracoating there is a difference

Jicko
05-05-2009, 8:53 PM
What duracoat color was that on your AR?

garandguy10
05-06-2009, 6:55 PM
You will need at least a 01 FFL if you are going to work on any firearm frames or receivers, if the frame or receiver [or complete firearm] is left in your custody. Refinish jobs for customers that want to wait and stay in control of their firearms will not require a FFL. You will likely need a local business license if you are thinking of doing this frequently.

I suspect that having strangers hang around your home for hours on end will get very old, very quickly.

PRODRIVE
05-07-2009, 7:04 PM
I have fn fal that need new finish.....

HkUSP45
05-07-2009, 8:02 PM
I think i want some sort of camo finish on my AR pistol.

Futurecollector
05-07-2009, 8:03 PM
you guys should see the pics of his Kel-Tec, that thing was epic!!!!!

doc1buc
05-07-2009, 9:59 PM
Really an 01 to.......paint? I'm moving to Montana.
:cowboy:

wcnones
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
What duracoat color was that on your AR?

Duracoat's "Magpul FDE".

wcnones
05-07-2009, 10:14 PM
You will need at least a 01 FFL if you are going to work on any firearm frames or receivers, if the frame or receiver [or complete firearm] is left in your custody. Refinish jobs for customers that want to wait and stay in control of their firearms will not require a FFL. You will likely need a local business license if you are thinking of doing this frequently.

I suspect that having strangers hang around your home for hours on end will get very old, very quickly.

Thanks muchly for the heads up - I had figured that was the case, and have told a couple of interested folks that I'd need to gt straight on the laws before I accept a registered frame. Good info, and I appreciate it.

wcnones
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Are you local?

I have fn fal that need new finish.....

wcnones
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
If you are local, I'm game to do a fun camo finish. I've done digi before and it was a massive PITA, but would happily do it again if you supplied the templates.

I think i want some sort of camo finish on my AR pistol.

Theseus
05-17-2009, 11:06 AM
He doesn't need a license to paint it. . . He is borrowing my pistol. Long as he has his HSC...I am good.

AbinSur
05-19-2009, 9:12 PM
We're all friends here...I'd let my friend borrow my firearm anytime...if I needed his service. Good luck to you man, the work you posted looks pretty damn good to me.

baldoHHO
05-22-2009, 8:35 AM
I like your multicord single point sling-awesome- come in green or tan?--Ill take it!

DarkHorse
05-22-2009, 6:39 PM
Too bad...too many miles in between...

tango5
05-23-2009, 4:44 PM
Bump for you. I spray DuraCoat as well, its amazing stuff and very durable.

dimsum
06-25-2009, 8:58 PM
are you still offering duracoating painting?

Desert_Rat
06-26-2009, 7:49 PM

I think wcnones got a permaban not too long ago.Too bao too.I enjoyed his posts.

Saigon1965
06-26-2009, 7:51 PM
Check with member "Technique" - He's out of Sac. - He is also doing Dura coating -