PDA

View Full Version : Compensated or not... (Glocks)

fltingck
05-04-2009, 9:58 PM
I am about to purchase a Glock 20 and need to know the pros and cons of buying the compensated model vs the standard model. I understand that the flash from the compensated models can be blinding. Please fill me in...

CA Gun Laws Suck
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
A compensator will dissipate some of the verticle muzzle flip but your probably not going to be match shooting with that gun. If your buying 10mm you want the power and I would probably stick with the G20 and pass on the G20c. But thats just me.

5hundo
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
get the 20C

If you don't like the compensator, you can switch out for a non-compensated barrel later but it's a nice option to have...

E. Fudd
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Is this going to be a SD gun or fun gun? If only for target/competition, then get whatever works for you.

I'd stay away from comp'd pistols for SD use. If you have to fire it from the retention position, the comp'd barrel could send gas and unburned powder (and muzzle blast) into your face and eyes. :eek:

walter
05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
alot of people talk crap about C models but know nothing about them

I have a 19c.
Pro:
Helps with muzzle flip
Cool looking
put a regular barrel in if you dont like the C

Cons:
Dirty, so you gotta wipe down the sites more, also the powder around the ports have binded up my glock when slowly hand cycling. cleaned it and put oil and all was good
SD use might shoot a fireball into your face but the chances of you shooting an intruder very slim not to mention in a position where it might hurt you.

As far as the flash, its by no means blinding or intrusive. A .357 revolver actually creates more of a flash and kicks more hot powder onto my face

tlillard23
05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
alot of people talk crap about C models but know nothing about them
Cool looking
put a regular barrel in if you dont like the C

Cons:
Dirty, so you gotta wipe down the sites more, ...
As far as the flash, its by no means blinding or intrusive. A .357 revolver actually creates more of a flash and kicks more hot powder onto my face

+1 Cool
-1 Dirty and it sux to clean
-1 Flash Really Really sux at night. all you can see is a "V" burned in your retina...
I'd say buy it and make sure you buy a "regular" barrel to go with it

B Strong
05-05-2009, 5:12 AM
I'm not a fan of compenstated pistols for anything but full-race match use, and there isn't enough difference in performance to justify their use for range/recreational use.

JBird33
05-05-2009, 5:15 AM
I wouldn't bother with compensated. I have a model 29 and the recoil isn't that bad at all - even with some of the nuclear 135 grain loads. I would only get a C model for competition purposes. Save your money from the C model and get one that comes stock with night sites.

JTROKS
05-05-2009, 7:04 AM
If you're really that torn apart between a C model vs standard you shouldn't be. Glocks have after market barrels that you can buy and most of them are pretty much drop in. If you don't like the porting on the slide get a standard and you can always get an extended ported barrel later for range stuff. You really want a stock gun if your intention is for self defense. For range use and most of the time you want to save up so lead bullets reloads will be in the menu the aftermarket barrel will do the job. Most of the time the aftermarket barrel can be more accurate due to tighter chamber and possible better lock up. The C models looks cool at night with the ports spewing a flash, just another cool factor to consider depending on what you're looking for.

BRNRone
05-05-2009, 3:18 PM
Get the 20c. It shoots 1 foot flames out the top. Gangsta:thumbsup:

walter
05-05-2009, 3:32 PM
I wouldn't bother with compensated. I have a model 29 and the recoil isn't that bad at all - even with some of the nuclear 135 grain loads. I would only get a C model for competition purposes. Save your money from the C model and get one that comes stock with night sites.

I always see these replies from owners of the non-c pistols.. Why down talk the c model if you don't own one.. The c models can run regular barrels but not vice versa.. And no the flash at night doesn't do anything, like I said if c model glocks hurt your eyes at night then people shouldn't be using 357 revolvers becuasw those are twice as bad

bill104
05-05-2009, 3:41 PM
my only concern with C models are there not allowed in IDPA.

5hundo
05-05-2009, 3:53 PM
my only concern with C models are there not allowed in IDPA.

Even if you switch out the barrel?

JBird33
05-05-2009, 4:46 PM
I always see these replies from owners of the non-c pistols.. Why down talk the c model if you don't own one.. The c models can run regular barrels but not vice versa.. And no the flash at night doesn't do anything, like I said if c model glocks hurt your eyes at night then people shouldn't be using 357 revolvers becuasw those are twice as bad

Wanna point to the part of my post where I said anything about a muzzle flash? I dislike C model Glocks for other reasons, such as the inherent loss of structural integrity around the ports, the dirtying of the front sight, and the slight velocity loss. There have been cases where a crack occurred around the ports. Why not just buy a standard model and then get a comped barrel later if you want to try it? It won't be the stock style porting but the theory is the same.

JMacRevo
05-05-2009, 5:06 PM
get the 20C

If you don't like the compensator, you can switch out for a non-compensated barrel later but it's a nice option to have...

+1

I got the 17c over the standard 17 so I could have a "factory ported" or non-ported in one gun.

walter
05-05-2009, 7:52 PM
Why not just buy a standard model and then get a comped barrel later if you want to try it? It won't be the stock style porting but the theory is the same.

ok, so why don't you tell him to buy a C model and get non-ported barrel later, that way he can have factory porting and factory-non-porting. you dont make any sense. whats more reliable glock barrels or after market ported barrels. what cost more a glock barrel or after market ported. the C model I bought cost pretty much the same as a regular. you're just mad you didn't get a C model. :p

Rob Roy
05-05-2009, 8:27 PM
get the 20C

Big + on that.

dexter9659
05-05-2009, 8:52 PM
I have a G20c. Love it and hate it.
Pros:
1. Very big reduction in perceived recoil. (I have a LW non-ported too)
2. FLAMES!
3. If you want a non-ported barrel, they are easy to drop in, but not the other way around. (keeping stock length)
4. Shoot some full house loads and watch as everyone around you grimaces while you put 15 down range.

Cons:
1. FLAMES at night destroy your vision.
2. Pain in the rear to clean the copper left after the porting.
3. On mine, after 20 rounds the copper deposits from the porting build up to the point where I cannot hit paper at 25 yards.

cal3gunner
05-05-2009, 9:33 PM
I have a G20c. Love it and hate it.

Cons:
1. FLAMES at night destroy your vision.
2. Pain in the rear to clean the copper left after the porting.
3. On mine, after 20 rounds the copper deposits from the porting build up to the point where I cannot hit paper at 25 yards.

1. Have you actually shot your 20c at night? I always hear about the porting issue and night vision. Have you tried using a self defense ammo that has gun powder designed to reduce muzzle flash?

3. Why can't you hit paper at 25 yards. Where is the copper being deposited? Can you not hit paper because the front sight is dirty or is the gun not capable of shooting a tight group?

What size paper are you shooting at? Something sounds really wrong if a factory glock using factory ammo looses that much accuracy after 20 rds.

5hundo
05-06-2009, 8:46 AM

Really? :confused:

Wow! My 22C doesn't do that at all...

Hmmmmm....

BlackDrop50
05-06-2009, 8:57 AM
I want a G20 and have shot one before. The recoil is not bothersome enough to get a C version.

5hundo
05-06-2009, 9:03 AM
I want a G20 and have shot one before. The recoil is not bothersome enough to get a C version.

Helps with accuracy too, though...

Voo
05-06-2009, 9:22 AM
Helps with accuracy too, though...

If I had only 1 round loaded in my gun, is that one shot going to be more accurate in a compensated model than a non-comp?

I understand how compensators get you BACK on target faster, but Im not sure why it would help with your accuracy.

Personally I like the compensated models. They work to some degree. I had a chance to fire a G19c at night, in almost complete darkness. We were in the desert and it was literally pitch black except for the stars. The night sights were visible but literally after 2-3 shots, I had to really strain to see the front sight. 4-5 shots and the sights were gone for a bit. I wasn't "blind as a bat", but it did effect my vision. Granted I was using WWB and you could literally see the twin flames jump with each shot. If this were strictly for home or work use, I think it would be entirely prudent to make sure one was familiar and comfortable with the characteristics of using a compensated model to fight with.

5hundo
05-06-2009, 9:46 AM
If I had only 1 round loaded in my gun, is that one shot going to be more accurate in a compensated model than a non-comp?

I understand how compensators get you BACK on target faster, but Im not sure why it would help with your accuracy.

That is how they help with accuracy...

punisheryayarea
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
what do you guys think of the G22c????

JTROKS
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Making the gun feel softer to shoot does aid in accuracy in a shooter's standpoint, but mechanically it doesn't do anything with accuracy. In a fast action type shooting where you want your double taps to have the minimum time splits a compensated gun will have a better chance in landing both rounds closer to point of aim due to the less recoil to deal with. Main reason why IPSC open class shooters use compensators and lightened slides, but there's more to it with highly customized open class IPSC guns.

Rob Roy
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
That is how they help with accuracy...

I would say rapid fire accuracy to be exact. Compensators do not improve single shot accuracy at all.

Turbinator
05-06-2009, 3:56 PM
+1 on getting the G20C.

Turby

cal3gunner
05-06-2009, 4:07 PM
Is there anyone with a glock 17C in the Ventura County area. I would love to do some testing and compare it to a standard 17.

We could do timed double taps and other rapid fire drills with a timer to see if the ports really do that much for getting you back on target faster.

I would also like to shoot the two guns at night and see if this temp blindness stuff really holds any water.

If anyone has a 17C or any other C model that they have a factory glock non-ported barrel for it PM if interested in doing some tests at a private shooting range in Ventura County.

5hundo
05-06-2009, 4:42 PM
what do you guys think of the G22c????

Great gun...

That's what I've got...

thomasanelson
05-06-2009, 5:02 PM
Be a real man and get the standard model! :thumbsup: Or be a nancy-boy and get the compensated. :rofl2: Don't flame me boys....just trying to be funny.

JBird33
05-06-2009, 5:32 PM
ok, so why don't you tell him to buy a C model and get non-ported barrel later, that way he can have factory porting and factory-non-porting. you dont make any sense. whats more reliable glock barrels or after market ported barrels. what cost more a glock barrel or after market ported. the C model I bought cost pretty much the same as a regular. you're just mad you didn't get a C model. :p

This coming from the guy who shoots a compensated 9mm?? Did you test fire a standard G19 and it hurt your hand or something? :confused::confused:

I gave my logical reasons for not liking a C model, don't know why you couldn't just leave it at that.

dchang0
05-06-2009, 6:03 PM
I've got a 19C on order and plan on running both the factory original compensated barrel and a non-compensated match barrel in it. I'd have no problem using one for self-defense, even with the chance of gas burns, blinding at night. If I'm firing at an assailant, I've already got adrenaline-backed tunnel-vision focus on the threat and won't even notice a flash in my line of sight or burns on my hands.

My choice of the 19C over the 19 was that getting a slotted slide is harder than getting a non-comped barrel, and barrels are consumable items anyway. My choice really came down to having more options available to me and had nothing to do with faster target reacquisition or reducing felt recoil. Honestly, I'll most likely run the non-comped barrel just because it'll be a higher-grade match barrel than the factory comped barrel.

precisionshooter308
05-06-2009, 9:51 PM
I have a G17c that I shoot quite a bit. They are DIRTY. After 50 rounds My night sights can not be seen due to the powder residue. I put in a non ported barrel MUCH cleaner!

cadurand
05-07-2009, 9:37 AM
Man, I don't understand why everyone has so many "problems" with their ported Glocks.

I have several. Yes, the front sights do get dirty.. not in the first 50 round though and I've never seen them become unusable.

Copper fouling so bad it effects he accuracy? There's something wrong with the ammo you're shooting or your pistol.

And all this talk about being blinded, please. I suppose it's subjective but I don't find it a problem even when I've shot at night.

And lastely, I love it when people talk about shooting from certain positions and being burned. Revolvers all leak gases, and cops carried them for decades. Oh those poor cops with all those burns!

5hundo
05-07-2009, 9:59 AM
Man, I don't understand why everyone has so many "problems" with their ported Glocks.

I have several. Yes, the front sights do get dirty.. not in the first 50 round though and I've never seen them become unusable.

Copper fouling so bad it effects he accuracy? There's something wrong with the ammo you're shooting or your pistol.

And all this talk about being blinded, please. I suppose it's subjective but I don't find it a problem even when I've shot at night.

And lastely, I love it when people talk about shooting from certain positions and being burned. Revolvers all leak gases, and cops carried them for decades. Oh those poor cops with all those burns!

Me either...

I don't even notice the dirty front sight thing on mine... :confused:

drunktank
05-08-2009, 7:43 AM
I've shot glock 17's and 17C's more that the guns I currently own. From my personal experience, the compensated feels better in my hands (while shooting obviously). However, a couple times I could see power, or whatnot, fly towards my eyes at the range. Not so with the standard 17. For what it's worth, if it's a fungun, I'd get the C. If solely your defensive weapon, I'd opt for the 17. Not THAT much difference between the two. Good choice either way!

Also, I've never experienced the sights getting dirty after a box of ammo. I usually wipe my thumb on the front site after several hundred rounds and I'm good to go. This is with reloads from Oaktree and WWB. YMMV.

*edit* Sorry I had a different window open and didn't realize you were comparing the 20 and 20C.

kalguns
05-08-2009, 8:07 AM
I have a 20. I love it. I wish I had the 20c.
It is better to have compensation and not need it then to need copensation and not have it.
:patriot:

Turbinator
05-08-2009, 9:19 AM
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/n579432480_1289351_9973.jpg

Now, that's what *I'm* talkin' about. 10mm.

Turby

precisionshooter308
05-08-2009, 9:46 AM
I never said my 17c became unusable after 50 rds. What I said was that the night sight ( glow in the dark roundy thing in the front blade) becomes black after 50 rds.

CaliGunOwner
05-08-2009, 9:53 AM
NOT -- absolutely NOT!
Hot metal fragments potentially spit into your face -- not fun -- tend to shoot low compared std gun

DLaw
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Not