View Full Version : Letter to my Assemblyman...thoughts?

05-04-2009, 4:58 PM
I am sending this letter to my assemblyman (Marty Block, district AD78). Tell me what you think. I encourage yall to write one too, AB962 which may limit us even further in regard to ammunition is up on the block this wednesday, 5/6/2009. Here it is:

I am writing in regard to AB962, bill regarding handgun ammunition restriction. I am a law-abiding citizen of California and of the United States. I am a recreational shooter of legally owned and registered handguns, bought here in California and fully approved for sale as such. It is unjust, unfair and unproductive to continue restricting handguns and ammunition in California. As a law-abiding shooter, I am already limited to a very short list of available handguns, a shortened list of ammunition types with which I may lawfully fire my handguns at an approved shooting range and limited to a severely shortened list of ranges at which to do so. As a highly-educated, respected member of California's Assembly and community, I am sure you understand without question the futility of using further laws to limit unlawful use of handguns and ammunition, for which AB962 is doubtless intended. I implore you as a law-abiding citizen of California, do not stand behind AB962 as it will serve only to limit the lawful and do nothing to promote detention and apprehension of those who intend to do harm with handguns and corresponding ammunition. Gain the support of California's millions of lawful handgun owners and allow us to continue to enjoy our sport without further fruitless limitation.

California resident and lawful handgun owner,

[name here]

05-04-2009, 5:41 PM
This is what I wrote:

Dear Assembly Member ###,

I am contacting you since you are a member of the Assembly Appropriations Committee. This week, your committee will address AB962 (Ammunition Sales Restrictions), and I strongly encourage you to oppose this proposed legislation.

Violent crime in California is a terrible thing, but it is not difficult to recognize that this bill will do nothing to address this problem. Preventing the purchase of ammunition on the Internet or via mail order will do nothing more than hurt the thousands of hunters, competitive shooters, and sportsmen who are struggling to deal with the skyrocketing cost of ammunition. This law will not only hurt those people, but will have no impact on crime because ammunition is not effectively traceable, nor do criminals buy ammo in large quantities.

Simply put, I believe this to be another effort by members of the California legislature to impose restrictions on firearms for the simple fact that they do not like firearms. This is a not a good law, and will just create more legal and legislative overhead with no real benefit.

I recognize that firearms ownership is a controversial issue, but it is has been affirmed to be our right as American citizens. I urge you to not allow legislators to undermine the Constitution by burying the sections they do not like under onerous administrative or legislative muck.

You should not be allowed to pick and choose which parts of the Constitution you support, and I ask you to keep that in mind when AB962 comes before you.

Thank you,

05-04-2009, 5:43 PM
Sounds a hell of a lot more profesional than the ones I send. Sounds good to me, got the piont across well. As much as we all would like to tell some of these guy's to F... Off it's the last thing you want to do. Well written with all the facts is the best way to deal with these guy's.

05-04-2009, 5:54 PM
Too long. "I am a constituent, a resident of (whatever town), I urge you to vote (no/yes) on (AB###).

That much will get logged as an opinion. They don't hire people to read anything more long winded than a sentence and a half.

05-04-2009, 5:55 PM
Too long. "I am a constituent, a resident of (whatever town), I urge you to vote (no/yes) on (AB###).

That much will get logged as an opinion. They don't hire people to read anything more long winded than a sentence and a half.

That's my belief also.

05-04-2009, 7:27 PM
Just wrote mine, hopefully it will mean something.....

05-04-2009, 8:41 PM
Subject: AB962

Please do not create additional laws that will inhibit my right to purchase ammunition for my firearms. I am a law-abiding, tax-paying, gun-owning, voting citizen of <insert city>. In a free society, the burden for proving the merit of proposed laws falls upon those who wish to restrict the rights of their fellow citizens. Do not produce another feel good piece of legislation that will only burden the law-abiding citizens and do nothing to hinder criminals. Do not create another wedge issue. Gun violence is serious. We need serious answers. Democratic solutions come from the consensus of the people - gun owners and non-gun owners alike.