PDA

View Full Version : The XD - .40 vs. 9mm

Requiem
05-04-2009, 4:09 PM
So I'm hoping to buy a Springfield XD. It seems to be reliable and efficient from all the hubbub I've heard. I know I'd like one with a 4" barrel and OD Green frame. However, I want to think about which caliber I'd want this fine piece to be chambered in: .40 S&W or 9x19mm. I'm trying to factor in price of ammo BIG TIME especially since my girlfriend requested I do so.

What would you guys recommend? The pros/cons I can think of are:

.40S&W
more stopping power
more recoil for a new handgun shooter
more expensive

9x19mm
less stopping power
less recoil for a new handgun shooter
less expensive

Or should I just get a Walther P22 and learn how to shoot with that since I've only shot a handgun once and it was my brother's 1911 Kimber .45 (I don't remember how I felt so I can't compare)?

MILLITIAof1
05-04-2009, 4:12 PM
So I'm hoping to buy a Springfield XD. It seems to be reliable and efficient from all the hubbub I've heard. I know I'd like one with a 4" barrel and OD Green frame. However, I want to think about which caliber I'd want this fine piece to be chambered in: .40 S&W or 9x19mm. I'm trying to factor in price of ammo BIG TIME especially since my girlfriend requested I do so.

.40S&W
more stopping power
more expensive

9x19mm
less stopping power
less expensive

Or should I just get a Walther P22 and learn how to shoot with that since I've only shot a handgun once and it was my brother's 1911 Kimber .45 (I don't remember how I felt so I can't compare)?

I wanna roll up a news paper and swat you with it while I yell "bad!"

MILLITIAof1
05-04-2009, 4:42 PM
buy the 40 and start saving for the 9

The SoCal Gunner
05-04-2009, 4:54 PM
Buy the .40s&w and add 9mm conversion barrel.

Ishoot
05-04-2009, 4:59 PM
What's the main purpose of the firearm? Home defense, concealed carry, range plinker...? I have both and you can't go wrong with either. But since price is an issue, I would recommend trying both out at a range and seeing which one you are more comfortable with. That way at least you can make a more educated decision.

sd_shooter
05-04-2009, 5:07 PM
I own the XD 40 4" and I just shot someone else's XD 9mm 4" last weekend - I would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Either one will give you about the same "stopping power" (ie. not much since they are small caliber hand guns.) Ammo price may not seem like a big deal to you right now but believe me it is - $9/box vs. $13/box adds up! (Walmart prices) These days I shoot gun show reloads and the price is about the same as 9mm. The only thing I might change is to get the 5" model instead of the 4" since I don't plan on carrying it.

If I were shopping for a 9mm today I'd probably go for a steel frame like the CZ 75B or a SIG, but if you want a polymer gun the XD is great.

This very question gets discussed all the time, so do a search on "XD40" and you'll get lots of results. Also poke around in http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ and try to rent the gun before you take the leap.

BTW, you should also get a .22 no matter what because it's cheap and fun to shoot. Get the P22 for your girlfriend and get yourself something else, eg. a Ruger Mk II/III, a Single Six, a Browning Buckmark... :thumbsup:

Requiem
05-04-2009, 5:10 PM
Militia.... you're of no help. please go away

The main purpose... well I'd want to use it for both home defense and a fun target practice pistol. No concealed carry, at least not while I live here in CA.

"Buy the .40s&w and add 9mm conversion barrel. "
why would I do this? why wouldnt i just buy the 9mm?

loosewreck
05-04-2009, 5:12 PM
IMHO, it won't make too much difference to a new shooter, as long as you have someone to help teach you how to avoid bad shooting habits, I learned how to shoot hand guns w/ .45 acp.

Get the caliber that you really want w/ proper practice you'll learn to master it.

Personally, over time I've come to favor 9mm, for both price and recoil which = longer range sessions. However, I do still have larger calibers if the dreaded worse case scenario were ever to arrive.

Jack Straw from Wichita
05-04-2009, 5:14 PM
Buy the .40s&w and add 9mm conversion barrel.

+1. That's what I did. Two guns for a little more than the price of one.

Cyclepath
05-04-2009, 5:29 PM
I had both. First the .40 and then the 9mm XD. I sold the .40 for the 9mm since I was consider doing IDPA, USPSA Production and wanted something with less recoil. Also that means lot's of practice so ammo price is going to add up - factory or your own reloads. .40 has good stopping power but I also have a couple of .45s so that fills that void.

If you were going to get a .22, I like the Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark. Can't go wrong with each and very accurate and most of all you can shoot all day with a brick of .22s for under $20. If you were going to like the sport, eventually you will get something larger anyways. Good place to start to get all the fundamentals down.

Gryff
05-04-2009, 5:32 PM

.40S&W
more stopping power
more expensive

9x19mm
less stopping power
less expensive

.40S&W
more stopping power - about 10%
more recoil for a new handgun shooter - about 10-20%
more expensive - about 25%

I have a .40S&W gun for concealed carry, but I would buy the 9mm if I was going to have just one gun that I would take to the range frequently. Ammo is cheaper, recoil is slightly less, and there is some high-quality self-defense rounds for the 9mm these days.

lioneaglegriffin
05-04-2009, 5:33 PM
Militia.... you're of no help. please go away

The main purpose... well I'd want to use it for both home defense and a fun target practice pistol. No concealed carry, at least not while I live here in CA.

"Buy the .40s&w and add 9mm conversion barrel. "
why would I do this? why wouldnt i just buy the 9mm?

when you put the 9mm in the .40 magazine your less likelt get in trouble becuz the gun says .40 on the side. IANAL

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 5:39 PM
I think the .40 is a more "violent" shooting gun, as 1 guy at the range put it the other day... I recommend the 9mm, as it has less recoil, the ammo is cheaper, which you'll realize VERY QUICKLY as you start shooting a lot.

If you catch the bug, you'll most likely get 1 in every caliber anyway.

MILLITIAof1
05-04-2009, 6:52 PM
What? Can't take a joke???

I have been buying ammo almost everyday, and 40 seems to be on the shelves WAY more often then 9mm.
A gun is no good if you cant get ammo for it.

Dont worry about the price, you will be reloading before you know it.

Z ME FLY
05-04-2009, 7:32 PM
Get a 9mm. Cheaper on ammo so you can practice with it more. Yes you can buy the XD40 plus the 40-9 barrel but that just adds the cost even more. If you must buy a .22 please don't buy a P22. Too many stories I read about problems with the gun. Some people have luck but not a lot.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-04-2009, 8:29 PM
buy a 40 and get a 9mm barrel

Requiem
05-04-2009, 8:30 PM
buy a 40 and get a 9mm barrel

I don't understand why everyone is saying to buy the .40 and the 9mm conversion. If I wanted the 9mm version I'd buy the 9mm version...

sd_shooter
05-04-2009, 8:39 PM
I don't understand why everyone is saying to buy the .40 and the 9mm conversion. If I wanted the 9mm version I'd buy the 9mm version...

I think it's because you can get a quality 9mm barrel for the .40 but you can't get a .40 barrel for the 9mm. So for an extra $150 you get "two" guns. But, you should actually get 1-2 dedicated 9mm magazines as well should you decide to go that route. I also imagined I'd like to get a 9mm barrel when I got my 40 but now I think I'd rather just get another gun.

Z ME FLY
05-04-2009, 8:49 PM
I think it's because you can get a quality 9mm barrel for the .40 but you can't get a .40 barrel for the 9mm. So for an extra $150 you get "two" guns. But, you should actually get 1-2 dedicated 9mm magazines as well should you decide to go that route. I also imagined I'd like to get a 9mm barrel when I got my 40 but now I think I'd rather just get another gun.

That's what I would do also, get another gun. Unless you are talking about a .22 conversion then that's just different.

cmace22
05-04-2009, 8:58 PM

I think having one gun that can fire multiple calibers would be the best one to get. Think about it, for 150 you can shoot whatever is on sale :thumbsup: A new gun is another 500-600, a ten day wait, twice as much to carry/transport and one more thing a girlfriend/wife can ***** at you about having.

gn3hz3ku1*
05-05-2009, 7:44 AM
trust me on this.. i have a 9 my friend has a 40... i regret getting the 9 everyday... so much that it just sits there now...

2 for the price of 1.25 guns... hmmm do the math?
it shots the same with a 9mm barrel as a xd9

Tillers_Rule
05-05-2009, 7:58 AM
9mm have been killing people for years. It's cheaper and easier to shoot. My favorite pistol to shoot is my CZ75-SP01 in 9, don't regret getting it for a minute.

bigtexn
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the 9mm 4" and my friend has the .40 4". I also have the .45 in Stainless and OD green. I love the .45, recoil isn't bad on the XD and you can get a .45 4" for about $40-$50 more than the .40 4". I am also hard pressed to tell the difference between the 9mm and .40 as far as recoil goes. For the barrel, if you get the 40-9 barrel, you can shoot for cheaper and get used to the gun, then move up to the 40 and work with that.

P22, don't get it. I had a 5" model with the compensator, inaccurate and pretty much fell apart. If you're wanting something cheap to shoot and work with, the P22 is not the one IMHO. The mag release is in an odd spot (trigger guard). The next .22 I plan on picking up with be the Sig Mosquito, it will help with firearm familiarity as far as operation of the weapon goes.