PDA

View Full Version : Clean up required - Sonora, CA *PICS*

Requiem
05-04-2009, 2:03 PM
I visited a family member up in the mountains just above Sonora. This is near Yosemite for those of you who may not know this. If you know the area, the place I am about to show you is up Phoenix Lake road somewhere, off of county maintained roads. It's a dirt road that we took a hike on in the afternoon and came upon the following...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1396/range1.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range1.jpg)
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5475/range2n.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range2n.jpg)
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6570/range4.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range4.jpg)

This is an atrocity to well-meaning shooters like you and me. Apparently this little section off the dirt road has been used alot as you can see, and the people who have used it don't give a damn about it. I'd like to get some people to go up there next time I'm in the area to go and clean this area up with me. I don't have a truck, so if someone in the area does that would be fantastic. If you'd like, please leave your contact info in this thread or pm it to me if you're in that area and would like to help the next time I'm up there. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

roc
05-04-2009, 3:59 PM
that is unbelievable. unfortunately i think places like this are probably everywhere. this is exactly why we will slowly but surely lose access to public shooting places everywhere if we dont start picking up after ourselves. If i was closer to you I'd come along for the clean up.

B.D.Dubloon
05-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Sorry I am not closer, I'd definitely pitch in. That is the nicest looking (in terms of natural beauty) free shooting spot I have seen.

BDD

cousinkix1953
05-04-2009, 7:02 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5475/range2n.jpg
What idiots. If they don't reload, it's easy enough to sell most of those empty
shotgun shells to other people that do. We used to have a big garbage can
full of 12 guage shells; when we were doing lots of hunting in the 70s and 80s.
They should be able to get 5 cents apiece for most of those shells and at least
double for the Winchester AA and Remington RXP cases...

Shoot-it
05-04-2009, 9:58 PM
Those hulls look like federal or winchester value packs from walmart they don't hold the crimp for reloading.
The ones that people reload are double A A or nitro gold sporting clays.
they are not cheap so you will not likely to see them on the ground unless your on a sporting clay match or gun club.

cousinkix1953
05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Not all of those are the cheapie shells in the picture. Regular Winchester Mark 5's and Remington Express hulls load up easily in our MEC presses. Same with the Federal hulls...

7222 Hawker
05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I will personally go and pick up after these slobs. I hope when I get there, you will all have preceded me.

7222 Hawker
05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I visited a family member up in the mountains just above Sonora. This is near Yosemite for those of you who may not know this. If you know the area, the place I am about to show you is up Phoenix Lake road somewhere, off of county maintained roads. It's a dirt road that we took a hike on in the afternoon and came upon the following...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1396/range1.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range1.jpg)
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5475/range2n.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range2n.jpg)
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6570/range4.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range4.jpg)

This is an atrocity to well-meaning shooters like you and me. Apparently this little section off the dirt road has been used alot as you can see, and the people who have used it don't give a damn about it. I'd like to get some people to go up there next time I'm in the area to go and clean this area up with me. I don't have a truck, so if someone in the area does that would be fantastic. If you'd like, please leave your contact info in this thread or pm it to me if you're in that area and would like to help the next time I'm up there. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Where exactley off Pheonix Lake road is it? Please give detailed directions so I can go clean this place up.

Requiem
05-11-2009, 8:23 AM
Where exactley off Pheonix Lake road is it? Please give detailed directions so I can go clean this place up.

Good! Glad to see someone is nearby and wants to help. I'm heading up there today in fact. Hopefully we'll get the chance to meet. BTW any brass picked up there is yours to keep if you help clean up. That goes for anybody...

As for location: It is in the Cedar Ridge area, way back there. Phoenix lake to Kewin Mill Rd. After that you would go on Keltz Mine Rd which is a mud/dirt road so hop out unless you have a strong 4 wheel drive. Almost right after it turns into a dirt road you'll come to a fork. Take the right one and a few hundred meters afterwards you'll arrive to the pictured area which is will be on the right of the road. I've provided a small map. It is not dead accurate. It just gives a general layout of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=keltz+mine+rd&sll=38.068197,-120.275273&sspn=0.008142,0.013819&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=38.063297,-120.277462&spn=0.032572,0.055275&z=14

WhiteWhale
05-11-2009, 3:25 PM
Is this National Forrest land? Looks like it on the map. I work about an hour from there might try to head up after work this weekend if I can.

Fire in the Hole
05-11-2009, 6:28 PM
Darn, I live about 15 minutes from there in Soulsbyville. I'll have to go up and help out before summer school at Columbia College starts up.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-11-2009, 9:27 PM
Went up there twice two years ago in July. Beautiful area. Sad to see that kind of bull****.

Requiem
05-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Is this National Forrest land? Looks like it on the map. I work about an hour from there might try to head up after work this weekend if I can.

I'm not 100% positive but I think it might be. I was up there yesterday and cleaned up the area behind the make shift firing line of rocks with my girlfriend. The area behind it looks so much better now, and I found a good amount of 9x19mm casings ;)

Where shotshells once were:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4513/223/77/688683395/n688683395_1722631_6147883.jpg

Where trash once was:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs017.snc1/4513_82411333395_688683395_1722602_4363166_n.jpg

As you can see, it still needs a lot of clean up gents:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs057.snc1/4513_82414208395_688683395_1722636_3243871_n.jpg

Jel
05-13-2009, 9:44 PM
Kudos to you and your GF! Awesome job!

m98
08-26-2009, 3:38 AM
Morons like that deserves to have their weapons taken from them and destroyed right in front of them and then leave em' with the bill including the trash cleanup cost. Makes me just wanna smack em' right in the head. So disgusting to the firearms community

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-26-2009, 6:04 AM
Morons like that deserves to have their weapons taken from them and destroyed right in front of them and then leave em' with the bill including the trash cleanup cost. Makes me just wanna smack em' right in the head. So disgusting to the firearms community

If they are C&Rs I'll take them!

BananaTyrant
09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I would love to help you, but I'm a three hour drive from there and don't have a car. If I did have a car I'd gladly make the three hour trip for some free shooting though.

M1A Rifleman
09-15-2009, 3:07 PM
Hey, that brings back some memories as a kid :). My grandparents had a place off Pheonix Lake Road near the golf coarse back in the in 80's/90's. I think I recall the area in your pictures. It was bad 20 years ago.

Seesm
11-07-2009, 7:51 PM
Requiem is my hero personally on this... ONLY dirtballs leave messes (if your reading this and you leave stuff) YOUr a freaking dirtball...

Requiem again you rock.

And who cares what the garbage is worth...

Today I found AT LEAST 200 9mm cases (NEW) not reloads someone just dumped...

goldleviathan
11-07-2009, 8:33 PM
This is kind of typical for a lot of Sonora rednecks. I'm surprised there wasn't beer cans on the ground and a fight going on too. A lot of meth users and small town mentality types. Plus this area is pretty close to town. I wonder how much of that was bought at Walmart?

Requiem
11-08-2009, 12:41 AM
This is kind of typical for a lot of Sonora rednecks. I'm surprised there wasn't beer cans on the ground

There were, I probably just didn't get them in the pics ;)

I try to pick up any brass or shotshells I see up there and give them away for free on calguns. I just gave away about 6-800 shotshell hulls to raymond on this forum. Sadly, whenever I go up there I don't have time or efficient resources to pick all the trash up myself. If someone wants to set a date and help me out with it, my schedule is fairly flexible.

Seesm
11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Lets help him folks I can go but that is 1.5 hrs away... I will still do it but we have to have some local no?

ScottCoberly
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Lets help him folks I can go but that is 1.5 hrs away... I will still do it but we have to have some local no?

This thread is 6 months old. I would hope the situation has been resolved by now.

Requiem
11-09-2009, 9:37 PM
This thread is 6 months old. I would hope the situation has been resolved by now.

Negative. As you see the last post I made was 11-08-2009 01:41 AM stating I still needed help. If someone wants to meet up and help out, pm me. I can't do all the pickup without a 4wd vehicle to haul the trash out from there.

Seesm
11-11-2009, 3:46 PM
Ahhh Requiem doesn't it just seem people want to put a negative post when all we are trying to do is HELP!!!

BTW I have a 4wd truck.... I could drive out wiht my 2 kids on sinday. PM me if that works...

Requiem
11-11-2009, 7:06 PM
Ahhh Requiem doesn't it just seem people want to put a negative post when all we are trying to do is HELP!!!

BTW I have a 4wd truck.... I could drive out wiht my 2 kids on sinday. PM me if that works...

Thanks for the offer, but Sunday is a no go as it's a drill weekend for me :( sorry.

ScottCoberly
11-12-2009, 8:04 PM

Easy there sparky. It was an honest question since the thread was started several months ago, one might assume the mess had been cleaned up by now.

Requiem
11-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Easy there sparky. It was an honest question since the thread was started several months ago, one might assume the mess had been cleaned up by now.

One might also check the date the last post was. Also, you didn't ask a question, not sure where you learned grammar... you were making a statement that had a rude connotation to it.

ScottCoberly
11-14-2009, 1:41 PM
One might also check the date the last post was. Also, you didn't ask a question, not sure where you learned grammar... you were making a statement that had a rude connotation to it.

If my statement had a rude connotation that is an assumption by the reader. That's not really my problem. The date on the original post is what counts. The date on your reply to the redneck comment is immaterial. It's been six months now. How long does it take to pick up some cases?

sonorasam
11-14-2009, 2:05 PM
If my statement had a rude connotation that is an assumption by the reader. That's not really my problem. The date on the original post is what counts. The date on your reply to the redneck comment is immaterial. It's been six months now. How long does it take to pick up some cases?

The OP took the time to take pics and upload them right away but it's taken 6 months to clean it up? Sounds like he's waiting for someone to hold his hand.

Seesm
11-15-2009, 12:33 AM
The OP took the time to take pics and upload them right away but it's taken 6 months to clean it up? Sounds like he's waiting for someone to hold his hand.

Really nice attitudes on both you guys... Dude is trying to help and keep shooting areas open and this is how we take care of him... Sparky huh? Nice. And Sam your in Sonora did you make the mess? First post is sweet nice. :)

caoboy
11-15-2009, 4:15 AM

If you read the first posts, he doesn't live in sonora, and he's already been out there to clean up, what he can, by himself. Give the dude a hand, and quit being a dick about it. You guys are lucky to have places to legally shoot without going to a range, yet don't realize how quickly they can be lost without proper maintenance.

Seesm
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
If you read the first posts, he doesn't live in sonora, and he's already been out there to clean up, what he can, by himself. Give the dude a hand, and quit being a dick about it. You guys are lucky to have places to legally shoot without going to a range, yet don't realize how quickly they can be lost without proper maintenance.

Nice post appreciate you noticing this and speaking up!!

We need all the help we can and have people caring enough to take time out to help like Requiem!!

Here here!

Requiem
11-15-2009, 11:05 PM

I'll make sure to steer clear of you if I ever want help with anything, sonorasam.

caoboy
11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice post appreciate you noticing this and speaking up!!

We need all the help we can and have people caring enough to take time out to help like Requiem!!

Here here!

If I lived closer, I'd go help out. As it is, I barely have time to get up into the hills as it is, or else I'd be out there all the time shooting for free, out in the wilderness...it's very nice up there...and it's too bad I can't get up there more often.

Seesm
11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I am not close well (1.5 hrs away) and I hope I will be able to make a plan to go to help.. I get what your saying for sure.

deucestroke
11-21-2009, 7:33 AM
Hey I'm new to this site and actually going today to buy my first and hopefully not last 1911 (kimber). I know of this so called shooting range well. It's a 10 min walk from my in-laws house. I'll be up there over thanksgiving, thurs and fri,but not the weekend. Let me know and I'll join in the clean up. The scumb bags up there dump there garbage all over that forest. It sucks. We run our dog there, ride our dirt bike and quads, hike,etc. They have no respect for their own back yard. I guess thats why there house's are usually surroundedin junk cars and crap. Sorry for the lang rant.

Seesm
11-21-2009, 8:49 AM
Thanks deucestroke you sound like a good person!!!!

GillaFunk
11-21-2009, 6:02 PM
My name is Requiem, and I like GUNS! Talk smack and I will throw monkey fecies in your general direction

Roger that bro. Lets plan a trip up in December (if its not fookn snowing). Shot shell reloading is uber cheap...so...I'll go pick up some hulls with ya. We'll take our boom-sticks and kill some paper too.

Requiem
11-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey I'm new to this site and actually going today to buy my first and hopefully not last 1911 (kimber). I know of this so called shooting range well. It's a 10 min walk from my in-laws house. I'll be up there over thanksgiving, thurs and fri,but not the weekend. Let me know and I'll join in the clean up. The scumb bags up there dump there garbage all over that forest. It sucks. We run our dog there, ride our dirt bike and quads, hike,etc. They have no respect for their own back yard. I guess thats why there house's are usually surroundedin junk cars and crap. Sorry for the lang rant.
Yeah I will be up there the day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday), so I'll try to bring some garbage bags there before I leave on thurs. morning. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
My name is Requiem, and I like GUNS! Talk smack and I will throw monkey fecies in your general direction
Roger that bro. Lets plan a trip up in December (if its not fookn snowing). Shot shell reloading is uber cheap...so...I'll go pick up some hulls with ya. We'll take our boom-sticks and kill some paper too.

Haha, thanks Kiel. Sounds good man.

deucestroke
11-23-2009, 5:41 PM
Cool! I'll be up Wed. night around 9pm but will be available thurs. & fri. Hope we can hook up. if not i'll try to get some good pics.

Requiem
11-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I went shooting at that spot on wednesday, and tried to take as much crap as i could with a couple trash bags and my cargo pockets. Hope you had better luck. Take care.

deucestroke
11-29-2009, 8:11 AM
went to clean up and started bs'n with a father and son getting ready to shoot when 2 men carrying 2 rifles each and holstered sidarms, and a woman carrying a watermelon and a 12 pack of Tacate beer. The father and son, and I all looked at each other and said looks like its time to go! The shooters were propping up a piece of 1/4 in plywood, for a target, with a big steel truck rim with a tire still mountd to it. I didn't stick around to long, but could hear lots of rapid fire from our house.

deucestroke
11-29-2009, 8:16 AM
forgot to mention the dirt road right next to the range where the numerous dirt bikers were.

Requiem
11-29-2009, 11:02 AM
forgot to mention the dirt road right next to the range where the numerous dirt bikers were.

yah they do like that area. Thanks for attemptin to help!

layoutman430
01-30-2010, 7:46 PM
Requiem pm sent your way. Anyone that would want to put in some trigger time and leave the place looking better than when we got there im game. I dont have a truck but im not afraid to break a sweat and load one up and take it to a dump. Just pm

7222 Hawker
04-12-2010, 9:56 AM
Went up to this spot on Saturday. It's still a mess. Someone has now dumped a big screen projection TV up there. I am planning on going up soon when the rain clears with my truck to start the work. If anyone lives close, this area could really use a working party.

Requiem
05-24-2010, 7:35 AM
Went up to this spot on Saturday. It's still a mess. Someone has now dumped a big screen projection TV up there. I am planning on going up soon when the rain clears with my truck to start the work. If anyone lives close, this area could really use a working party.

I would definitely have had this cleaned up by now if I lived up there, fellas. But I don't. I think we need to make a permanent sign up there that says something like "clean up after yourself, this place is not a dump"....

Silver06wrx
08-14-2010, 4:21 PM
I would definitely have had this cleaned up by now if I lived up there, fellas. But I don't. I think we need to make a permanent sign up there that says something like "clean up after yourself, this place is not a dump"....

if you still need help i just live down the hwy oo about 40miles so id be willing to help

zfields
08-22-2010, 7:39 PM
Wow I cant belive how bad people leave shooting areas, what a bunch of *******s.

Dankle
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
if you still need help i just live down the hwy oo about 40miles so id be willing to help

I am also about 40 miles from Sonora (Oakdale) and am willing to help clean up. I have a full size truck and am available pretty much every weekend, even on short notice. If anyone wants to set up a day let me know VIA PM and I will be there. :)

As for location: It is in the Cedar Ridge area, way back there. Phoenix lake to Kewin Mill Rd. After that you would go on Keltz Mine Rd which is a mud/dirt road so hop out unless you have a strong 4 wheel drive. Almost right after it turns into a dirt road you'll come to a fork. Take the right one and a few hundred meters afterwards you'll arrive to the pictured area which is will be on the right of the road. I've provided a small map. It is not dead accurate. It just gives a general layout of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=keltz+mine+rd&sll=38.068197,-120.275273&sspn=0.008142,0.013819&gl=us&ie=UTF8&ll=38.063297,-120.277462&spn=0.032572,0.055275&z=14

For the folks that have been to the spot- Is 4wd really necessary during the dry season? I have made it through some nasty trails in my 2wd truck, but if there is a lot of loose ground and steep inclines I may not be able to make it there without making a mess of the trail (digging nasty ruts with my tires).

Rigma
08-25-2010, 9:34 PM
Planning a camping/shooting trip for early September...and a someone just burst my bubble. I was warned to avoid my desired location (Lake Pillsbury) because of the danger of cartel marijuana grow farms in the area.

Not sure if that info was fud, but would be happy to change locations and make this my new location for 3 days of cleaning and shooting if law permits for this site.

Please send me specific details on the location and I promise photos of the location and clean-up efforts!

Silver06wrx
09-07-2010, 9:50 PM
im from oakdale and im will to help clean up only problem is i dont have a truck.. lol but do have an awd car

I am also about 40 miles from Sonora (Oakdale) and am willing to help clean up. I have a full size truck and am available pretty much every weekend, even on short notice. If anyone wants to set up a day let me know VIA PM and I will be there. :)

For the folks that have been to the spot- Is 4wd really necessary during the dry season? I have made it through some nasty trails in my 2wd truck, but if there is a lot of loose ground and steep inclines I may not be able to make it there without making a mess of the trail (digging nasty ruts with my tires).

destro360
09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Planning a camping/shooting trip for early September...and a someone just burst my bubble. I was warned to avoid my desired location (Lake Pillsbury) because of the danger of cartel marijuana grow farms in the area.

Not sure if that info was fud, but would be happy to change locations and make this my new location for 3 days of cleaning and shooting if law permits for this site.

Please send me specific details on the location and I promise photos of the location and clean-up efforts!

screw that haha sound like lake pillsbury needs the "clean up" far worse :43: lets get a clean up crew and head out there for a few days.. :chris:

Rigma
09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm always good for a weekend clean-up (with a few exceptions), just hit me up with the where and when.

A little shooting following a little cleaning...a good way to burn a Saturday in my book!

destro360
09-08-2010, 1:22 PM
I'm always good for a weekend clean-up (with a few exceptions), just hit me up with the where and when.

A little shooting following a little cleaning...a good way to burn a Saturday in my book!

i feel the same way, only prob for me right now is the trans blew in my 4x4 so where i go will have to be accessible by car.... damn i gotta get to work on my truck. anywho im always up for a trip out to new areas and some shooting/clean up... you got garbage bags big enough to hold cartel members? :D

destro360
09-08-2010, 5:34 PM
http://lakeconews.com/content/view/1162/554/
a little info i was looking at earlier.... its harvest season too haha its crazy that it has become that much of a problem in so many areas...

Anticanman
03-12-2011, 8:49 AM
First of all, I know its an old thread. Second of all, I know this place. My mom used to live up near there in Cedar Ridge, the locals call it "the Burn" probably because its a party spot with a place for bonfires. I was absolutely disgusted with the condition of the land and how much people can trash things that dont belong to them. If there is another cleanup in the near future, please let me know and I'll be happy to volunteer the Jeep to shuttle people up the goat trail.