PDA

View Full Version : Getting our rights back to "right" status

evan69
05-04-2009, 1:58 PM
I'm just curious what channels an individual or organization would have to go through to appeal to the Supreme Court about gun registration. I know that Heller got us the "individual right" status, and we can use that from now on. What if somebody wanted the same security on the subject of gun registration, going on the "right vs privilege" argument.

I know that right now might not be the best time for something like that, but what would have to happen for a full scale legal attack to take place?

DDT
05-04-2009, 2:00 PM
I don't think you'll get anywhere. As long as they accept registration of ANY handgun it will likely pass constitutional muster. If, they refuse you the right to own certain handguns or the right of certain people to own handguns via refusal to register you might have a case.

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 2:04 PM
I don't think you'll get anywhere. As long as they accept registration of ANY handgun it will likely pass constitutional muster. If, they refuse you the right to own certain handguns or the right of certain people to own handguns via refusal to register you might have a case.

Yes, it's 100% certain that non-burdensome shall-issue registration schemes are constitutionally acceptable under Heller. Some people here may wish it were otherwise, but the Heller decision is the law of the land, and it's not going to change.

Don't like it? Move. Where to? I've heard there's no registration requirement for AKs in Somalia.

evan69
05-04-2009, 2:07 PM
Yes, it's 100% certain that non-burdensome shall-issue registration schemes are constitutionally acceptable under Heller. Some people here may wish it were otherwise, but the Heller decision is the law of the land, and it's not going to change.

Don't like it? Move. Where to? I've heard there's no registration requirement for AKs in Somalia.

Switzerland :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys.

DDT
05-04-2009, 2:09 PM
Switzerland :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Switzerland? VERY tightly regulated and most decidedly registered.

JDay
05-04-2009, 2:15 PM

AFAIK Alaska has no registration of firearms.

Liberty1
05-04-2009, 2:18 PM
SCOTUS awarded Heller a license because Heller said that would answer his "prayer" for relief, but they mentioned they did not address the constitutionality of licensing in Heller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller
The Court applies as remedy that "[a]ssuming that Heller is not disqualified from the exercise of Second Amendment rights, the District must permit him to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home." The Court, additionally, hinted that other remedy might be available in the form of eliminating the license requirement for carry in the home, but that no such relief had been requested: "Respondent conceded at oral argument that he does not 'have a problem with . . . licensing' and that the District's law is permissible so long as it is 'not enforced in an arbitrary and capricious manner.' Tr. of Oral Arg. 74–75. We therefore assume that petitioners' issuance of a license will satisfy respondent’s prayer for relief and do not address the licensing requirement."