PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Custom Predator - buying thoughts?

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a Nighthawk Custom Predator. Please give me your thoughts.

mat19er8
05-04-2009, 1:15 PM
I just picked up a Talon and am very impressed. The trigger is very crisp. I have a Bear and a Brown, over all the Nighthawk is best IMO. Go for it!

Vin496
05-04-2009, 1:59 PM
I have a Predator II and love it, as does almost anyone who shoots it. My friends who aren't into guns and wouldn't know a Hi Point from a Nighthawk, will always grab it and tell me they love that gun. The way it point,shoots, and how accurate it is(even for them), a few have offered to buy it. When they ask how much, they always say "Uh never mind" when they find out.

Anyways, some traditionalist don't dig them, but if you like it and aren't planning to use it in competitive shooting. I say definitely go for it. They are super accurate, very light on recoil, and a top quality gun.

Are you planning to buy new or used? If new do yourself a favor and check out MiGunslingers.com, the guy who owns it is named George, and he could not be any more helpful, and his prices can be hundreds less than local dealers. I learned this the hard way on my Predator.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1161-1.jpg

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 3:03 PM
I have a Predator II and love it, as does almost anyone who shoots it. My friends who aren't into guns and wouldn't know a Hi Point from a Nighthawk, will always grab it and tell me they love that gun. The way it point,shoots, and how accurate it is(even for them), a few have offered to buy it. When they ask how much, they always say "Uh never mind" when they find out.

Anyways, some traditionalist don't dig them, but if you like it and aren't planning to use it in competitive shooting. I say definitely go for it. They are super accurate, very light on recoil, and a top quality gun.

Are you planning to buy new or used? If new do yourself a favor and check out Gunslingers.com, the guy who owns it is named George, and he could not be any more helpful, and his prices can be hundreds less than local dealers. I learned this the hard way on my Predator.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/vincev07/IMG_1161-1.jpg

Can you elaborate on why traditionalists don't dig them? And why I shouldn't consider using it for competitive shooting.

Thanks

Sam
05-04-2009, 3:21 PM
Can you elaborate on why traditionalists don't dig them? And why I shouldn't consider using it for competitive shooting.

Thanks

Traditionalists don't like them because the Predator uses a flanged barrel instead of a bushing barrel that has been traditionally been used. I know little about competitive shooting, but I would believe the flanged barrel would create an unfair advantage to those using bushing barrels.

I'm actually pondering a purchase of a Wilson Combat Tac Elite which is Wilson's version of the Predator. From all accounts I could read on the internet, anyone who has shot it has loved it and have mentioned that recoil is softer (which is the intended outcome with the flanged barrel). I did some more research and found out that a bull barrel with a tungsten guide rod is actually a touch heavier and thus softer shooting than a flanged barrel setup. If you like the Predator because it offers softer shooting then take a look at this kind of setup as well. I like the looks of the flanged barrel somewhat but I really like the looks of a bull barrel so I'm leaning towards this barrel setup.

I believe that a range (I don't remember the name) in northern California has a Tac Elite for rent if you are indeed curious about this sort of barrel. The Wilson Tac Elite and the Nighthawk Predator seem to be almost the same pistol anyway. Good luck as information on these types of pistols is few and far between as they aren't sold in as many numbers as say a CQB or a GRP.

Beautiful pistols by the way Vin, got any other semi-customs I can drool over?

OP, also ask over at m1911.org and 1911 forums.

Vin496
05-04-2009, 4:05 PM
Sorry I didn't elaborate, but Sam answered the questions better than I could.

Beautiful pistols by the way Vin, got any other semi-customs I can drool over?
I got a cool Wilson CQB Elite on the way. Should be here around June.

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 4:09 PM

Ah man, it's not fair. You have all the toys I want. :thumbsup:

I have a USP .40 that is my first gun. Now I'm planning to get the Predator, but with the information I got from you guys, perhaps I should get the Talon instead?

The CA roster only said Wilson Tac Elite, black, carbon steel. Does that mean I can not get it in a combo color?

Vin496
05-04-2009, 4:17 PM
Ah man, it's not fair. You have all the toys I want. :thumbsup:

I have a USP .40 that is my first gun. Now I'm planning to get the Predator, but with the information I got from you guys, perhaps I should get the Talon instead?

The CA roster only said Wilson Tac Elite, black, carbon steel. Does that mean I can not get it in a combo color?

Correct, color variations are not allowed. Hopefully the suit filed will put an end to the roster, and none too soon.

You could always buy it then send it back to Wilson and have them make it any color you want, if that is something you really want. Of course on your dime(thanks California)

If this is going to be your 1st 1911 and you aren't planning on going on a buying spree. I would probably go with the Talon myself. It's a traditional 1911 and if you ever want to sell it later on, you will probably have an easier time doing so.

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 5:34 PM
Correct, color variations are not allowed. Hopefully the suit filed will put an end to the roster, and none too soon.

You could always buy it then send it back to Wilson and have them make it any color you want, if that is something you really want. Of course on your dime(thanks California)

If this is going to be your 1st 1911 and you aren't planning on going on a buying spree. I would probably go with the Talon myself. It's a traditional 1911 and if you ever want to sell it later on, you will probably have an easier time doing so.

Thanks so much to all for the input. I don't know if I will go on a 1911 buying spree, per se... I got a "new" gun, as in new technology, polymer i.e. the HK, so I want 1 NICE 1911. I want to shoot the best grouping I can, and perhaps 1 day get into IPSC shooting. However, I know I am an equipment wh$re, there are 3, 4 golf sets, 4, 5 road bikes in my house so I will most like not stop with 2 guns...

So things do point to the Talon, right? what with potential IPSC later on... but I want the "soft" shooting feel tho... Perhaps I can use the HK for IPSC...

Sam
05-04-2009, 5:35 PM

Very nice choice! But, if we are talking about traditional 1911s, I'd steer you towards a CQB, I am a Wilson fan boy after all.

Buddhabelly
05-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Very nice choice! But, if we are talking about traditional 1911s, I'd steer you towards a CQB, I am a Wilson fan boy after all.

I looked at the Wilson site, and like the TAC Elite as you're getting. More so than the CSB, i think...

Vin496
05-04-2009, 5:54 PM
So things do point to the Talon, right? what with potential IPSC later on... but I want the "soft" shooting feel tho... Perhaps I can use the HK for IPSC...

You can't go wrong with any full size steel 1911. I personally don't find the .45 to be a hard on the hand kind of round, add in an all metal gun, I think it makes for a soft shooter.

Buddhabelly
05-06-2009, 9:30 AM
You can't go wrong with any full size steel 1911. I personally don't find the .45 to be a hard on the hand kind of round, add in an all metal gun, I think it makes for a soft shooter.

I found a used Talon online from a person in OKC. Selling for $1900. Is it worth it to buy used to save a few hundred?

Vin496
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I found a used Talon online from a person in OKC. Selling for $1900. Is it worth it to buy used to save a few hundred?

If it's in good shape that's a good price. Nighthawk and Wilson both have awesome customer service that follows the gun not the owner. I would buy it.

EDIT---

Remember that the gun has to be the same one that is on the roster, meaning color has to match, no speed chute, etc...

Sam
05-06-2009, 3:04 PM
If it's in good shape that's a good price. Nighthawk and Wilson both have awesome customer service that follows the gun not the owner. I would buy it.

EDIT---

Remember that the gun has to be the same one that is on the roster, meaning color has to match, no speed chute, etc...

and even then I read somewhere that Wilson (again, not sure about Nighthawk) uses a titanium firing pin and a stronger firing pin spring for the CA versions...although I could care less if the gun you want has it or not...stupid roster! :rolleyes:

OP: The deal is dependent on what condition the pistol is in. These types of pistols have long service lives.

Buddhabelly
05-06-2009, 4:51 PM
The guy with the Nighthawk went silent on me for a couple days now. So I may just get the new Talon with George from Vin's recommendation. BTW, thanks Vin, a ton.

Vin496
05-06-2009, 5:18 PM
No problem at all.

Have you contacted George yet? He is a super nice guy and helpful as can be.

Buddhabelly
05-06-2009, 5:52 PM
No problem at all.

Yep, talked to him earlier and he's as nice/good as can be.

popndrop
05-06-2009, 6:12 PM
I have owned almost all of the tradtional models of Nighthawk, several Wilsons, a few Ed Browns, a couple Yost customs and a Cylinder and Slide. Basically the gauntlet of the custom/semi-custom 1911s.
I love my NH Predator - it really is an incredible shooter. I was torn between my 10-8 and the my predator, and almost sold it last year, but I'm glad I didn't since it is the gun I shoot most out of my collection. Incredibly accurate, great trigger, very reliable. Besides my S&W 52-2 it is probably the most accurate handgun I own, and that is even when I'm shooting WWB stuff.
If you have the ability to obtain one of these for a reasonable price, you won't regret it.
Stay away from Wilson's they suck. J/K it is really just a matter of preference. I sold a Talon IV to a guy who swears that his Springer is his best 1911...so what the hell, everybody is entitled to their own crazy opinion.:thumbsup:

SVRider
05-06-2009, 7:37 PM
I had a Talon that was absolutely perfect (early model....first 600). I sold that pistol to buy one built for me the way I wanted it.

There is a part of me that is sorry I did. Although the new GRP is built exactly how I wanted it, there were a few fit/costmetic issues....specifically the beavertail cut was a little too much on one side (larger gap between the frame and beavertail) and more disturbing, the checkering does not extend equally around both sides (one is right to the grip panel, the other is short by about 1/8"). In looking at it closer, the whole frame was cut very slightly off-center which is why the checkering came out this way.

Unfortunately for me, I did not notice these small details until after DROS. It went back to Nighthawk and they did a little tweaking because the hammer was also hitting the beavertail (I'd never fired it, only the factory, but it was clearly evident that they were hitting), but basically they said there was nothing they could do about the beavertail cut and checkering.

Part of me understands this. There is no way to really fix this short of either welding and recutting the frame, or starting over with a new frame. They said since mine was not something out of their regular line, but a custom, there was nothing that they could/would do. Not even an appology. It kind of pi$$ed me off because I'm not talking about an off-the-shelf Kimber, were talking about a $2k+ semi-custom.

That got me to start looking at their pistols more closely when I see one in a shop. I've seen a recent Talon where the checkering lines on one side don't even come through all of lines (the last two vertical lines were not cut by the horizontals!). I don't know if this is due to the changes there or what (two of the smiths who were there when my Talon were built are no longer, and the guys who built my pistol were not).

Don't get me wrong....they can and do make awesome pistols....it just seems that their quality occasionally slips as of late.

If you buy a Nighthawk (or any pistol for that matter I suppose), make sure you look it over real closely before laying down your cash is all I'm saying....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22686&stc=1&d=1241666988
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22688&stc=1&d=1241667064

Still a beautiful pistol....but for the money, I was expecting near perfection...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22691&stc=1&d=1241667235
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22690&stc=1&d=1241667218
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22689&stc=1&d=1241667182

Sam
05-06-2009, 7:53 PM
No problem at all.

George is a good guy.

louscamaro91
05-06-2009, 8:44 PM
if you live in the modesto area and know where sierra arms is located they have a Talon,T3 in stock and a preadator will be in shortly