PDA

View Full Version : A new name for assault weapons

timdps
05-04-2009, 1:44 PM
Saw this on http://northbayshooters.com/

http://northbayshooters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=478

Jock Itch wrote:
"All military or former military firearms are now to me called "Homeland defense rifles" I believe that if we give Ar-15 and AK-47 a kinder gentler name then they will not try to ban them. We need to fight them with there own game.

So no more assault weapons they are all now Homeland defense rifles."

Given some of the text in the Gould concurrence to Nordyke, this might be an appropriate name for these types of weapons. Gives them a nice political spin...

tim

HKDoc
05-04-2009, 1:47 PM
homeland defense rifles. has a nice ring to it. great! I doubt many people are using them for assaulting anyway....

JDoe
05-04-2009, 1:48 PM
HDR has a ring about it...interesting.

gcvt
05-04-2009, 1:58 PM
A new acronym! :hurray:

lobonegro
05-04-2009, 2:03 PM
HDR-15 I like it!

timdps
05-04-2009, 2:11 PM
HDR-15 I like it!

HDR-47 :43:

tim

Cnynrat
05-04-2009, 2:13 PM
I know of another group that has decided to call them "Sport Utility Rifles", or SUR's for short, for similar reasons.

xxdabroxx
05-04-2009, 2:16 PM
sport utility rifles sounds a little better, but i think they may prey on the SUV = BAD thing though.

aermotor
05-04-2009, 2:23 PM
Hah that sounds so much better and gov approved!

CHS
05-04-2009, 2:31 PM
I've been calling them "homeland defense rifles" and "sport utility rifles" since 1999.

Where have you people BEEN?! :)

professorhard
05-04-2009, 2:33 PM
I jus call em semi auto rifles. Since thats what they are

DDT
05-04-2009, 2:33 PM
I've been calling them "homeland defense rifles" and "sport utility rifles" since 1999.

Where have you people BEEN?! :)

Wow! not many people can lay claim to using "homeland defense/security" before 9/11.

bwiese
05-04-2009, 2:35 PM
Sport/Utility Rifles = "SURs".

Was coined in the 1990s on ARFcom.

Works for me.

nicki
05-04-2009, 3:10 PM
But guys, I like calling them the "EBR's".

That is a very interesting replacement term. Homeland Security rifles actually falls well within the militia concept.

Remember, the second amendment is not only a right, but a duty to protect the homeland from enemies foreign and DOMESTIC.

Nicki

Swatter911
05-04-2009, 3:15 PM
I like it! HDR FTW!

TheBundo
05-04-2009, 3:24 PM
HDR-15 I like it!

Ah, but that plays into the misconception that AR stands for Assault Rifle, which it DOES NOT

Dr Rockso
05-04-2009, 3:59 PM
The word 'Homeland' kind of creeps me out. Too close to Fatherland (Vaterland) or Motherland. I know they didn't have negative connotations before the 20th century, but the Nazis and Soviets kind of ruined that...

bodger
05-04-2009, 4:17 PM
The word 'Homeland' kind of creeps me out. Too close to Fatherland (Vaterland) or Motherland. I know they didn't have negative connotations before the 20th century, but the Nazis and Soviets kind of ruined that...

"Vas is dis!!?? Himmel! Es is das Homerland Rifle!!

Sam1
05-04-2009, 4:25 PM
an ar in the hands of a LEO is called a single shot rifle, how about we use that too?

bohoki
05-04-2009, 4:29 PM
the first think i think we should do is stop calling the action semi-automatic it implies the capability and conversion to full-automatic

and should only be refered to one mode of select fire weapons

the correct term is "autoloading" or "autoloader"

rbgaynor
05-04-2009, 4:35 PM
I've long been a fan of "Sport/Utility Rifles" - it's down right soccer mom friendly.

Bill_in_SD
05-04-2009, 4:36 PM
Homeland Defense Rifle

Can I use stimulus finds to buy it?

1BigPea
05-04-2009, 4:39 PM
I like Homeland Defense Rifle, HDR. However HDR could be taken as we don't need by the anti's because that's the military's job. :rolleyes: I do like the Sport Utility Rifle sound, it also doesn't sound as threatening.

grahlaika
05-04-2009, 4:44 PM
Damnit I want to bring my HDR-50 back into the state!! =)

CHS
05-04-2009, 5:03 PM
Fine.

I'll just call mine all "Unicorn death-bringer MK15"

aileron
05-04-2009, 5:08 PM
Sport Utility Rifle... its in my sig.

Homeland reminds me of NAZI's...

DDT
BFD = Barack's Favorite Defensive weapon.
STFU = Safety as The Founders Understood it.
RTFM = Really, The Finest Machine.

Manic Moran
Sorry, they'll always be EBRs to me, even the green ones.

NTM

lioneaglegriffin
05-04-2009, 5:10 PM
Ah, but that plays into the misconception that AR stands for Assault Rifle, which it DOES NOT

oohh oohh teacher! pick me pick me! AR-15 stands for Armalite-15! i like my cookies in choclate chip thanks. :thumbsup:

Legasat
05-04-2009, 5:14 PM
I like the Sport/Utility Rifle.

Much less threatening

KWA-S
05-04-2009, 5:16 PM

I was going to say...its not a HDR-47.
Its a Motherland defense rifle 47.

Either way, I call em what they are...EBR.:gunsmilie::willy_nilly:

The Wingnut
05-04-2009, 5:22 PM
HoLDeR?

HomeLand DEfense Rifle.

Now our illustrious Attorney General will have to think twice when trying to bring back the ban. ;)

bohoki
05-04-2009, 5:45 PM
Sport Utility Rifle... its in my sig.

Homeland reminds me of NAZI's...

yea that always bugged me you opened my eyes to what i was feeling but couldn't express

falawful
05-04-2009, 7:42 PM
Homeland, Fatherland, Motherland. Creepy names all.

I like "Mechanical Musket" :)

operationblackwater
05-04-2009, 7:48 PM
HDR sounds right !!!

CitaDeL
05-04-2009, 7:48 PM
A gun by any other name, would shoot as straight...

I dont really care what you call it- so long as it goes BANG and hits where you point it.

mike100
05-04-2009, 7:51 PM
If the gov't. can put a positive spin for the name of a national secret police agency, then so should you for your rifles.

lasereye
05-04-2009, 7:56 PM
I don't care what they call it; just follow the Constitution and leave me and my arms alone.( oh and I don't want to pay taxes anymore.)

Silencer
05-04-2009, 7:58 PM
I've never been fond of 'Assault Rifle' which is why I always refuse to use it. SUR suits me fine.

While we're at it, I'm not too crazy for 'gun nut' either. (Sorry, pun intended) Some of you here have already found that out.

Also, 'weapon.' A weapon is something a criminal uses to commit a criminal act. I ain't no criminal.

RECCE556
05-04-2009, 9:02 PM
I'll just call mine all "Unicorn death-bringer MK15"
:Ivan:

Hehehe...that's the best one so far! UDB-MK15, FTW!!

Liberty1
05-04-2009, 9:37 PM
plain jane Self-Defense Rifle / SDR

Just my $0.02

DDT
05-04-2009, 9:48 PM
Gun.

FullMetalJacket
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
"Defensive arms."

It's hard to take issue with "defense."

"Arms" mirrors the language of the 2nd Amendment (subtly reinforcing the proper view of it as well). Using "rifles" or "shotguns" or "handguns" invites a wedge attack about which is more "appropriate" for defense, and "weapons" is too belicose. "Arms" also has a noble ring to it.

We should try to instill the notion that AWs are simply part of the spectrum of defensive tools. The use of "defensive arms" as a term allows us to encompass .25 automatics and FN-FALs with the same concept. Once you mentally buy into lethal force for defense, the difference is only a matter of the efficacy of the tool.

When you begin an argument about "assault weapons," you're already conceded much of the conceptual game to the enemy. We should only refer to this term by prefacing it with "so-called" or using the "finger quotes."

AlexDD
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Sport/Utility Rifles = "SURs".

Was coined in the 1990s on ARFcom.

Works for me.

I think that is what Kel Tec use to call their SU rifles when they first came out.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/kel_su16_rifle.jpg

It does sound politically correct.

Of course now a days people seem to want everything with a hybrid/green sounding name...

nick
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I say we call them sea puppies, since sea kittens is already taken by PETA.

Roadrunner
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
What about just going back to the original term "Sporter Rifle". It denotes recreation. How can anyone argue with recreation?

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't think this is a good idea.

The issue isn't whether or not they're "assault rifles". The issue is whether or not government entities have a right to ban them.

Trying to change the name given to them in a sense implies that assault rifles are bad, otherwise - why are we changing the name?

I think the stand needs to be simply, they're assault rifles, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Also - a clear distinction can be made between military assault weapons, and the civilian counter parts. The civilian counter parts have already been dumbed down for civilian use. We're not talking about military hardware here (no fun switch).

The argument plays into Heller pretty well, since there was a good amount of discussion about the meaning of arms in relation to the militia in the heller ruling. Appropriate arms are considered to be of common use that one would expect to bring if the militia is called upon by congress. It could be argued that things like the civilian ARs and AKs are in fact designed specifically for that purpose. They're not full auto military hardware, but they're not Dad's old .30-06 either. That type of weapon was explicitly protected by Heller....

Roadrunner
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't think this is a good idea.

The issue isn't whether or not they're "assault rifles". The issue is whether or not government entities have a right to ban them.

Trying to change the name given to them in a sense implies that assault rifles are bad, otherwise - why are we changing the name?

I think the stand needs to be simply, they're assault rifles, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Because an "assault rifle" is selective fire in that it can fire semiauto or full auto.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Because an "assault rifle" is selective fire in that it can fire semiauto or full auto.

We understand that, most people don't. The ones who do are most likely on our side anyways. Trying to change the name on our side I think just sort of concedes a point that shouldn't be conceded.
Drawing the distinction between military and civilian rifles is obviously the goal, and it is important - I just don't think this is the best way to do it. If we're talking about "defensive arms" - and then show a picture of an AR-15 the majority of the people out there are immediately going to say "oh- assault rifles you mean? yea, i can't get behind that."

I mean, most "people" out there don't even know that full-autos are not common place. I was talking with someone the other day who swore up and down that all AK style rifles are full-auto all the time.
They don't know what an assault weapon really is in the first place. Going around trying to do something like this is going to confuse the issue a bit.

Gotta start small.

Tillers_Rule
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I think the term "Assault Rifle" was coined by the anit's anyway.

But I like your way of thinking and I like the name Homeland Defense Rifle.:)

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 11:37 PM

But I like your way of thinking and I like the name Homeland Defense Rifle.:)

Yea - it probably was.
It's just a case of "a rose by any other name..." though.

We turn around and start referring to things as "defensive rifles" or "homeland security rifles" (I don't like this choice, a lot of people are burned out on the whole 'homeland security' thing, it's getting a bad connotation) - and the anti crowd gets to paint us with the brush of trying to duck the issue through obfuscation. If we just say "it is what it is" - we can draw the distinction between civilian rifles and military rifles - and paint them as trying to distort the issue and use inappropriate terms. We start referring to it as something else, and they make the case "the nra and the gun nuts know these are assault weapons, they're just trying to use a play on words to make it sound nicer".

I say stick to the factual distinctions, avoid the play on terminology, retain the high ground. Let them dive into that - we know they'll do it.

Seesm
05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
"Sport Utility Rifles" yup I like that sounds nice and easy and clean!!

tonelar
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
oohh oohh teacher! pick me pick me! AR-15 stands for Armalite-15! i like my cookies in chocolate chip thanks. :thumbsup:
No cookies for you. AR-15 stands for Armalite Rifle model 15.

I think the term "Assault Rifle" was coined by the antis anyway.
Wrong. Assault rifle is a mil term for a select fire rifle. The antis coined the term "Assault Weapon."

lioneaglegriffin
05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
No cookies for you. AR-15 stands for Armalite Rifle model 15.

Wrong. Assault rifle is a mil term for a select fire rifle. The antis coined the term "Assault Weapon."

thats not how edjucation werks i give a half ased answer i get a f**king cookie! :p

Sinixstar
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
thats not how edjucation werks i give a half ased answer i get a f**king cookie! :p

You must have gone to a public school....
;)

Obviously a Plant
05-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Now pass the freedom fries damnit and let's go wage democracy on 'em!

lioneaglegriffin
05-05-2009, 12:51 AM
You must have gone to a public school....
;)

actually went to a baptist grade school, catholic middle school, and adventist jr. high and high school. but im in a public college now. so all those religion classes and i still cant say what a AR-15 stands for. :rolleyes:

JTecalo
05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
ZITS

Zombie Intrusion Termination System

aileron
05-05-2009, 6:34 AM

I believe the term "Assault Weapon" (any weapon that comes with black plastic and/or looks scary) was coined by the anti's. The term "Assault Rifle" (any medium to small caliber rifle that is select fire) existed in the military lexicon already.

Its easy to see why its been hard to nail down legally what an assault weapon is when its subjectively determined by looks alone.

AEC1
05-05-2009, 7:12 AM
I think we sound like a bunch of liberal wenies. Worried that a name might offend someone, screw em. I call mine a evil black baby killer. I like it that way, it is mean and offensive. But then I still call the garbage man the garbage man, not a "sanitation enginer" my wife is a house wife, not a "domestic manager". And Barack H. Obama is still not the first black president, but the first half white president!!!

AEC1
05-05-2009, 7:13 AM
Yes that last post was meant to be offensive and shocking, cause I aint scared. what are they going to do form a counsel and tell us what we can say here, not yet they are still to focused on talk radio...

Biff...
05-05-2009, 7:21 AM
HDR-308, 9, 45,223 everybody has to have a choice.

jamespres2001
05-05-2009, 8:30 AM
CDI Civil Defense Implement
CDR Civil Defense Rifle
CDT Civil Defense Tool

see a trend in my post :18:

nick
05-05-2009, 8:57 AM
I still stand by 'sea puppies'!

lioneaglegriffin
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I still stand by 'sea puppies'!

isn't that from PETA? you f**kin Hippie!

7x57
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Having met Nick, you have *no* *idea* how much you just expanded my notion of hippie! :eek:

7x57

CHS
05-05-2009, 2:36 PM

It was "sea kittens".

MudCamper
05-05-2009, 3:17 PM
IMO all these monikers are silly. Just call em what they are,

"rifles"

When dealing with an anti or illiterate, explain to him/her that "assault weapon" is a not an industry term but a political / propaganda term that describes normal civilian rifles that "look kinda like curremt military rifles".

nick
05-05-2009, 8:23 PM

Nah, 'sea kittens' was taken by PETA. I'm advocating for 'sea puppies'. Educate yourself, man, to stick it to the Man, man :p

7x57
05-05-2009, 9:06 PM
It was "sea kittens".

What the?? <google, google> Aw, criminy. :eek:

Fine. Call 'em "sea kittens." I'm gonna carve me off some sea kitten steaks (veal? we don't have a special word for feline meat, probably because "land kittens" taste awful). Normally I wait until I get home and they're, ah, "deceased," but maybe I'll carve 'em live just once. With a dull knife. For PETA. :43:

Man, you know how to ruin a guy's day, letting me see what those jokers are up to.

7x57

7x57
05-05-2009, 9:09 PM
Nah, 'sea kittens' was taken by PETA. I'm advocating for 'sea puppies'. Educate yourself, man, to stick it to the Man, man :p

Lemme get this straight. You want to call guns "sea puppies" to "stick it to the man"? *SEA*??? *PUPPIES*???

Fine. I'll try it. I'm gonna check the mag in my adorable little sea puppy Kim, the Kimber pup, before I put the precious thing to bed right by my bed tonight.

Now look what you've made me do. ;)

7x57

nick
05-05-2009, 9:46 PM
Lemme get this straight. You want to call guns "sea puppies" to "stick it to the man"? *SEA*??? *PUPPIES*???

Fine. I'll try it. I'm gonna check the mag in my adorable little sea puppy Kim, the Kimber pup, before I put the precious thing to bed right by my tonight.

Now look what you've made me do. ;)

7x57

Give it a few years, and you'll become an acceptable citizen of CA :)

Off to get some sea kittens for my land kittens before they start gnawing on my sea puppies. Is feline cannibalism even in the PC?

7x57
05-06-2009, 9:04 AM
Give it a few years, and you'll become an acceptable citizen of CA :)

I'm not so sure. Last week I took my innocent four-year-old boy fishing kittening twice, taught the tender waif to RIP sea-kittens [[wait, they came from a lake--wouldn't they be "lake kittens"??? I know PETA just wouldn't want us to use confusing terminology]] out of their snuggly watery home by DRIVING A STEEL HOOK THROUGH THEIR LIVING, BREATHING HEAD AND GUTS. If that wasn't bad enough, we poked and prodded their dead corpses for a bit on the kitchen counter before I LET HIM HOLD THE BLOODY KNIFE TO DECAPITATE AND DISMEMBER OUR INNOCENT VICTIMS.

In California I'm sure that's regarded as the same kind of brutalizing child-abuse that produces child-soldiers in the third world. You can see the horrible dehumanization already--he thought it was pretty neat to touch their eyeballs and feel that fish have little teeth on their tongues. Science, of course, needs some heavy re-editing to be acceptable. And don't get me started about how neat he thinks guns are....

The only thing worse would be to teach him that Obama-worship is not a duty of citizenship on all Americans, let alone voting Republican.

Off to get some sea kittens for my land kittens before they start gnawing on my sea puppies. Is feline cannibalism even in the PC?

Sorry, you may not call them land kittens anymore, they are now "land fish." Didn't you get the memo? Oh, and don't forget that black is white and slavery is freedom. You've been getting pretty slipshod in your terminology, and don't think we haven't been monitoring you. We're also concerned that you have permitted your land fish to violate the human rights of other sapient beings, such as random wall-snugglies (formerly mice), love-leapers (nee grasshoppers), and Charlottes (nee spiders) they found in their home or yard. You could be an accessory to crime by neglecting to control those ravenous predators you insist on keeping.

ETA:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/4/4f/LAND_FISH.JPG

7x57

highpowermatch
05-06-2009, 9:14 AM
Love it HDR :thumbsup:

jamespres2001
05-06-2009, 9:45 AM
If the Military can call a Shovel an entrenchment tool, why can't I call my AR -15 a personal recreational sport device

Mayhem
05-06-2009, 6:13 PM
How about "Refusal to be a Victim Tool" RVT-15 RVT-47 RVT-50 ect.

hawk81
05-06-2009, 7:01 PM
How about we call them take back our freedoms arms.

cortayack
05-06-2009, 7:30 PM
^^ yeah, I call it freedom!!!