PDA

View Full Version : Gun Novels

DDT
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
There was a wildly successful series of Christian books a little while back called "Left Behind" by Tim LaHaye. I never read the books but I understand they are essentially a group of stories told around the Christian "end times."

It would be really great if we could find an author within the 2A community who could do something similar for us. Novels about the importance of the second amendment, times where our 2A rights were (or hypothetically would be) critical to the survival of us individually and as a nation.

Obviously getting published and widely distributed would be a challenge but it might be one worth tackling.

7x57
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I have actually considered this. The first problem is that novels written to illustrate a particular point of view are usually not very good. To write a good 2A novel, you must write a good novel.

It may actually be better if it isn't immediately obvious that it is a 2A novel anyway. That would be preaching to the choir. To be effective, it needs to be salable in its own right in a "normal" market, and needs to be able to sell the 2A or just the conceptual seeds to understand the 2A to people who know nothing about it.

7x57

DDT
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Yep, I agree with all the above. The most challenging part may be that guns are so often used in books anyway. It would be challenging to be sure and show them in a more realistic light than most novels but still make it an interesting read and not just a "case study" or "what if" scenario.

I am miles away from having the skills to write such prose but would be more than happy to buy a few copies.

7x57
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
The overriding problem is simply that writing is really hard. :-)

7x57

7x57
05-04-2009, 12:39 PM
There was a wildly successful series of Christian books a little while back called "Left Behind" by Tim LaHaye. I never read the books but I understand they are essentially a group of stories told around the Christian "end times."

Just for accuracy's sake, even though my guess is the subject is of great DISintrest to most calgunners, Left Behind is a dramatization of a couple of authors' particular version of the Dispensational framework. That means it isn't entirely correct to say it is about THE Christian end times, but rather a particular version of one of the two main branches of Protestant eschatology. Amillenialists, to say nothing of less popular positions like Historic Premillennialism, will not agree at all, and I believe a lot of Dispensationalists don't agree with the particular interpretations that LaHaye, et al. made within the Dispensational framework. Catholics and Eastern Christians won't agree either, probably for some reasons that overlap those of amillennialists and some of their own.

This installment of "Eschatology for Gunnies" has been brought to you by the letters Alpha, Omega, and the number 666. ;)

7x57

SgtDinosaur
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
"Unintended Consequences" was a pretty good one. I have found pro-2A themes in a number of novels, although it was not the main subject.

yellowfin
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
It's quite sad that we have a need to reacclimate people to what they knew before for two centuries. Eating a really good cheeseburger and reading a Hemingway novel should be enough and it used to be.

7x57
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
An example of what I mean by "not immediately obvious" is the Niven/Pournelle fantasy novel "Burning City." Nothing about it is related to the American government, and it doesn't even seem related to the RKBA exactly. But the society portrayed is something of a dystopian future evolution of ours, projected back into a mythical past. The RKBA is conspicuous by its absence--the society is utterly repressive to any ordinary person who works for a living, and they are absolutely forbidden arms for the very obvious reasons.

I'd say it's a very pro-RKBA novel, but in a usefully subtle way.

7x57

KWA-S
05-04-2009, 4:32 PM
Im looking forward to Gene's memoir of the fight for the 2A in California. Its going to be called "Two weeks" and I expect it to be out in a few years. :thumbsup:

Pelican
05-05-2009, 9:42 AM
You know about the sf novels of L. Neil Smith, right?
"Probability Broach" is the classic.
"Tom Paine Maru", "Gallatin Divergence" and "Nagasaki Vector" have
a similar tone.
"Pallas" has a lot of gun stuff. It's been a long time since I read it,
but the description of the .458 Win Mag blowback pistol was great!
I don't think these were considered sophisticated literature, but they
are all great reads.

Pelican