PDA

View Full Version : WRITE THOSE ASSEMBLYMEN ON AB962!

LongRangeShootin
05-04-2009, 9:37 AM
hey guys, this may be our last chance to take the time to write our assemblymen and urge them to do away with ab962.

ill make it simple for you. here are there email addresses, all ready to copy right into your email client
Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.fuentes@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.fuentes@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.John.Perez@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.John.Perez@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Price@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Price@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.strickland@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.strickland@assembly.ca.gov>; Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov <Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov>

example letter

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this to you today to respectfully ask you to please vote no on AB962. this bill as written will really do nothing except turn honest hard working law abiding california citizens into common criminals in some cases. also, please remeber, this bill will do absolutely nothing to deter or prevent criminals from obtaining and using ammunition,but will hurt those honest citizens out there that not only hunt, but also target shoot . the average recreational shooter that i know wouldnt have any problem shooting more than 50 rounds of ammunition if just a short while. please think about enforcing the laws that we already have rather than passing worthless laws such as AB962.

THANK YOU

now, this is just an off the top of my head sample letter that you might use . if anyone else has anything to add, please do so.

TAKE THE TIME, SEND THOSE EMAILS, MAKE THOSE CALLS

Assemblymember Kevin de Leon (D-45) - Chair
(916) 319-2045
Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Jim Nielsen (R-2) - Vice Chair
(916) 319-2002
Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (D-13)
(916) 319-2013
Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Charles M. Calderon (D-58)
(916) 319-2058
Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Mike Davis (D-48)
(916) 319-2048
Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Michael D. Duvall (R-72)
(916) 319-2072
Assemblymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Felipe Fuentes (D-39)
(916) 319-2039
Assemblymember.fuentes@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Isadore Hall, III (D-52)
(916) 319-2052
Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Diane L. Harkey (R-73)
(916) 319-2073
Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Dave Jones (D-9)
(916) 319-2009
Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Jeff Miller (R-71)
(916) 319-2071
Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember John A. Pérez (D-46)
(916) 319-2046
Assemblymember.John.Perez@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Curren D. Price, Jr. (D-51)
(916) 319-2051
Assemblymember.Price@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-14)
(916) 319-2014
Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Jose Solorio (D-69)
(916) 319-2069
Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Audra Strickland (R-37)
(916) 319-2037
Assemblymember.strickland@assembly.ca.gov

Assemblymember Tom Torlakson (D-11)
(916) 319-2011
Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov

evan69
05-04-2009, 9:52 AM
emails sent :thumbsup:

soundwave
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
emails sent :thumbsup:

Looks like e-mailsare getting a boiler plate response. We need to call to get heard! E-mails look to be ineffective at this time. Just another hurdle being thrown at us.

Pleas call if you can.

mydogsmonkey
05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
emails sent also, this should be easy enough, everyone should do it, takes less than a minute

Alaric
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I called them all. All the Republicans' staff members I reached said they opposed the bill (big surprise there).

yellowfin
05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Contact the committee itself, not just the individuals.

soundwave
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
emails sent also, this should be easy enough, everyone should do it, takes less than a minute

Yes, but the e-mails are not being read apparently, at least not in a timely manor. The auto reply asks us to fill in a form on their website, blah blah blah. Point is, with this nbeing reviewed THIS Wednesday, we have to call to gt our voices heard. E-mail is not effective at this time.

Thank you for your effort, let's keep it going!

HowardW56
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
DONE!

TheBundo
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Emails sent so far

goober
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
i sent faxes and followed up w/ emails.
let's DO this, people! :thumbsup:

BTW that example letter needs a bit of work... spelling errors & inconsistent case are forgivable on a forum (although some would disagree), but not in a letter one hopes will be taken seriously. so if you copy & paste that text, at least fix the spelling on "remeber", and "if a short while" should be "in a short while"...

zinfull
05-04-2009, 1:32 PM
I tried using the email addresses posted an limited out at 67 open pages of errors. Firefox does not like Microsoft mail. The emailing of assembly and senators happens more often so I have spent some extra time and made a distribution list. Now one message to all the proper people.

jerry

m0topilot
05-04-2009, 2:02 PM
I found it more effective to call because they supposedly add you to "opposition list". Emails just go into government black hole. I'm going to call again but focus on the D's.

Baja_Traveler
05-04-2009, 2:23 PM
Sent mine today, with a message along the lines that it will basically shut down our Government sponsored CMP matches - since the CMP is where we mail order our Garand ammo from.
de Leon is the guy who authored the bill BTW...

demnogis
05-04-2009, 2:37 PM
As mentioned before do contact the committee that is hearing this bill as well!

We may be faced with the same issue before where we contacted our reps and did not get added to the opposition list because we did not contact the committee.

Rivers
05-04-2009, 2:56 PM
I called every D on the list, with a reminder that the legislature has a dismal 14% voter approval rating. Mentioned something about 2010 being just around the corner... I also suggested that I might be moving into (whichever) assemblymember's district next year.

soundwave
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
bump

LongRangeShootin
05-05-2009, 2:32 PM
bumpybump bump!
thanks for the bump soundwave

Legasat
05-05-2009, 3:06 PM
I only got through to 8 offices. I got 5 "We have not taken a position on this issue" to "We are right there with you". I believe the "not taken a position" is really code for "I'm voting for it", so the results of my non-scientific poll are not good.

I did as much as I can from here.

Keep your fingers crossed.

evan69
05-05-2009, 3:21 PM
Just called all of them. Most of them sounded delighted to hear I was opposed. I'm keep my fingers crossed as well.

Davidoff
05-05-2009, 3:37 PM
Here's a reply I received within 10 minutes from Assemblywoman Harkey (R-73rd):

Dear XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding our mutual gun rights in California. First, let me be clear - I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms. I do not support AB 962 and will oppose it in Appropriations Committee.

I believe AB 962 puts more limitations on the rights of legal gun owners. This bill will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or dangerous people living in our communities. Limiting the transfer or sale of ammunition to 50 rounds per month, the equivalent of one box of handgun ammunition, will have a devastating impact on legal firearms retailers. Average sales volumes regularly exceed the proposed limit, which would subject the majority of firearms business owners to a new set of bureaucratic rules and regulations regarding licensure, storage and sale procedures. This would force many small businesses that rely on ammunition sales as their primary revenue to incur additional costs in order to comply with the provisions of AB 962. As one may guess, such costs would definitely be passed along to the consumer. This burdensome and unnecessary regulation would drive a sizable number of retailers out of business altogether.

Further, AB 962 would hinder the ability of law abiding citizens to transfer ownership of ammunition between private parties such as family members by requiring individuals to be licensed by the Department of Justice if the 50-round thresholds are exceeded.

This outrageous proposal adds yet another layer of red tape where appropriate regulation already exists and infringes further upon individual freedoms of every California citizens’ Right to Bear Arms.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to make your voice heard – I stand with you on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff at (949) 347-7301 if I may be of further service.

I also received 7 automated replies from other AssemblyPeople, basically saying that they won't be reading my emails.

Legasat
05-05-2009, 3:41 PM

I also received 7 automated replies from other AssemblyPeople, basically saying that they won't be reading my emails.

Diane is my Assemblywoman. I have met her, had a couple of short discussions with her, and she IS a supporter of all things 2A. Imagine that, even in the PRK.

I will be calling her often.

B Strong
05-05-2009, 4:43 PM
Please remember that in contacting an elected offical on any subject, a snail mail letter is best, an email is better than a call, and a call is better than nothing.

Write your elected reps today!

Swiss
05-05-2009, 6:35 PM
Is tomorrow's Appropriations Committee hearing streamed on the Internet and, if so, is someone here willing to somehow grab that feed and post it to YouTube for the rest of us to watch?

This would be very much appreciated by many of us. I really want to see/hear my Assemblywoman's comments on this bill.

scrappy
05-05-2009, 7:01 PM
emailed DeVore and Miller, from my city's districts and will call tomorrow
Also used their web sites to ask them to oppose AB962.

If any of you lazy bastids want to plagiarize my (plagiarized) verbiage...have at it.

Dear Assemblyman Devore,
I am writing to you today, to respectfully ask that you please vote no on AB962.

I believe that this bill will only serve to turn honest hard working and law abiding California citizens into common criminals. That this bill will do absolutely nothing to deter criminals from obtaining and using ammunition, but will instead hurt honest citizens who hunt and target shoot, and those business owners that serve the recreational shooting community. The average recreational shooters that I know, regularly shoot more than 50 rounds of ammunition in a short practice session.

Please think about enforcing the good laws that we already have, rather than moving forward, worthless laws like AB962.
Thank you,

obeygiant
05-05-2009, 7:28 PM
I tried using the email addresses posted an limited out at 67 open pages of errors. Firefox does not like Microsoft mail. The emailing of assembly and senators happens more often so I have spent some extra time and made a distribution list. Now one message to all the proper people.

jerry

Try this list of addresses. Just copy and paste into your favorite mail client and you should be good to go.
Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymemb er.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Ammiano@ assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.c a.gov,Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov,Assembl ymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.fuen tes@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.c a.gov,Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov,Assemb lymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Mill er@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.John.Perez@assem bly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Price@assembly.ca.gov,As semblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymembe r.solorio@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.stricklan d@assembly.ca.gov,Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembl y.ca.gov

LongRangeShootin
05-05-2009, 7:42 PM
i got the same letter back

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding our mutual gun rights in California. First, let me be clear - I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms. I do not support AB 962 and will oppose it in Appropriations Committee.

I believe AB 962 puts more limitations on the rights of legal gun owners. This bill will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or dangerous people living in our communities. Limiting the transfer or sale of ammunition to 50 rounds per month, the equivalent of one box of handgun ammunition, will have a devastating impact on legal firearms retailers. Average sales volumes regularly exceed the proposed limit, which would subject the majority of firearms business owners to a new set of bureaucratic rules and regulations regarding licensure, storage and sale procedures. This would force many small businesses that rely on ammunition sales as their primary revenue to incur additional costs in order to comply with the provisions of AB 962. As one may guess, such costs would definitely be passed along to the consumer. This burdensome and unnecessary regulation would drive a sizable number of retailers out of business altogether.

Further, AB 962 would hinder the ability of law abiding citizens to transfer ownership of ammunition between private parties such as family members by requiring individuals to be licensed by the Department of Justice if the 50-round thresholds are exceeded.

This outrageous proposal adds yet another layer of red tape where appropriate regulation already exists and infringes further upon individual freedoms of every California citizens’ Right to Bear Arms.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to make your voice heard – I stand with you on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff at (949) 347-7301 if I may be of further service.

Sincerely,

DIANE L. HARKEY

Assemblywoman, 73rd District

goober
05-05-2009, 7:48 PM

i got that one too. its also an auto-reply, but it makes a big difference that it is a RELEVANT auto-reply, rather than a generic one...

like you all the rest of the replies i received were totally automated and not topic-specific.

i also called the committee phone # and voiced my opinion there.

TrooperMKIII
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Bill was supposed to be heard in Appropriations today. I don't think it was. De Leon (author, chairman) brought up two bills at the end, AB 962 was not one of them.

highpowermatch
05-06-2009, 12:29 PM
emails sent