PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Marlin 795 out of box & Browning Buckmark cleaning - are they serious?

high_revs
05-03-2009, 8:16 PM
So I picked up my Browning Buckmark today along with my Marlin 795 from 2 different stores. Headed to Livermore Gun & Rod for the annual BBQ and then shot a little to kill time before the raffles. To my amazement cleaning the Buckmark at home, the instructions actually stated to clean the barrel from the muzzle!! Is this right? I've always cleaned from the breech. I think I'd rather get a boresnake to run thru this thing if I can find a brush and jag that'll fit thru the action with the slide back. There's no instructions for field stripping on the Buckmark. Instead, a warning about going further than removing the mag, locking the slide and clean from the muzzle. Heck, my jags aren't even short enough to completely clear the area when the slide is locked. Is this typical of Buckmark? Seriously clean from muzzle?

I didn't shoot Marlin 795 since it was raining like heck with the wind driving the water almost to the benches (but your back will get soaked a little). I decided to just field strip it at home to see how it is. Just another frustrating discover. I cannot run a rod from the breech w/o trying to bend the rod. The entrance to breech of barrel is covered by the housing in the back. So that means cleaning from the muzzle too. OK, fine whatever since it's a cheapo plinker. I noticed that there was some dirt on the action. I figure, yeah, they test fire it as normal process. But it was a lot more than any rifle or upper I ever got on my ARs or even GSG. Then I ran a wet patch down the barrel and look at what I see (pic below). Is this normal? This is more than just a test fire it seems like, else they used super dirty ammo. I'm not sure if I should complain to store or call Marlin Monday and send them pictures? Did anyone else with a Marlin run at least a patch before shooting it too?

Opinions appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/gsg/IMG_0218.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/gsg/IMG_0222.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/goldenset/gsg/IMG_0223.jpg

Chewyoates77
05-03-2009, 8:29 PM
Hey, I just went in to purchase one today, I will check out my 795 before I take it out. Thanks for the heads up.
That doesn't look "normal"

Guntech
05-03-2009, 8:32 PM
Uh maybe its just me, but I have bought two 795s and they were clean...that looks like more than test firing. You could have gotten a second hand rifle I suppose, I have returned rifles to Big 5 after shooting them. They are supposed to send them back to manufacturer, but you never know.(atleast with Big 5)

Crusader
05-03-2009, 8:39 PM
That looks like a fair amount of wear, more than I think would come from test firing.

calixt0
05-03-2009, 8:42 PM
yes its typical for a buckmark to say clean from muzzle. I've had one for over 15 years and mine came with instruction for field stripping though

kpw001
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
That looks like a fair amount of wear, more than I think would come from test firing.

I agree, that looks to be pretty well work in some areas. My 795 will be ready for pick up on Wednesday, I'll look at it and compare.

mydogsmonkey
05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
uhhh i dunno about you guys but i just picked mine up a month or so ago,
my 795 is about that dirty, i guess since its cheap, they don't bother cleaning it up too well. I opened mine up all the way and looked and there quite a bit of dirt and what not in the action.
im thinking the people who actually have theirs in hand should also talk and not those waiting on it
don't worry, just take it apart and clean it, you learn your gun inside out and it'll be clean, works out pretty well. just don't lose any parts as some of them are small and can fly

high_revs
05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm not making that big of a deal as a el cheapo plinker. But man, that was quite a bit more than I expected. My GSG was uber-clean when I got it. The only concerning part is if it was used is "what else could've be wrong that I might have a problem with warranty or anything." I'll let the store manager know and/or maybe call Marlin Monday. Maybe I can pass by the store and take a quick look at some 795's she got it. I should be able to see dirt in the action just by removing the magazine, or at least leading into the barrel/ramp.

On the buckmark, are there shorter brushes I can use for that thing? I looked at brownells and they list their brushes as rifle/handgun. I fear it's the same as what I have today - too long for the action part. Maybe a boresnake but with a shorter brush and shorter jag? I saw some otis kits today, but I guess those are rifle kits since the brushes and jags are as long as my rifle ones. Maybe I'll visit wally world tomorrow and see what they have for the .22LR. I only have rifle .223 brushes right now and they're just way to long. I have a Dewey pistol cleaning rod, but man, I'll have to be careful inserting that thing so it doesn't it the crown once the brush ends part and the actual rod starts (that little indentation that has the knack of hitting the breech crown or muzzle crown.

high_revs
05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
So do you guys use a Otis kit? Are the brushes and jag short enough thru the breech with the slide back/locked? That's the part I'm having a hard time finding. Recommend a brand/product that'll fit my needs?

m freeman, how do you mean a bent brush. do you mean you bend it at an angle so that it'll slide thru? no concerns about the line (backbone of brush) rubbing on the bore? not sure if the backbone of those things are steel since they don't look brass in color to me.

high_revs
05-04-2009, 6:46 AM
i called up Marlin today. Wow... their customer service is a concern. Maybe I got a lady who was having a bad day, but it was like she was on a timer to get off the call asap and attitude of "what is your problem today, now what is the issue with the rifle." This was quite a bit of wait too. Jeez, I guess I'm taking up your time. LOL

She went over the serial and said it wasn't returned to them. She also commented that they would only run 1 magazine thru, and run a rod thru to clean it. I don't have enough experience to tell these are more than 1 magazines shot thru. Either that they used superdirty ammo.

bombadillo
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd be taking that thing back and asking for another one. That doesn't look like a test firing at all. That looks like a used gun flat out.

mydogsmonkey
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
still sounds about right to me, i guess mine was a display for maybe 2 weeks or so but its just as dirty. how come you haven't considered cleaning it? if you clean it and theres a problem, sure you can return it but if it just cleans up, its not like big 5 did anything to it.

high_revs
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
oh.. to be clear, i did clean it, even before i was going to shoot it. Hence I came across this sitaution. I'm not insinuating Big 5 did anything. I did pass by the store today and checked a couple of their other 795's on the shelf. W/o disassembly, it's hard to tell and can't really say how dirty it is inside (removing the magazine and looking at the feed ramp and face of action, for example). The guy was kewl enough to check the bore and on one of them, there were speckles of something. So like I said, I'm not making a big deal. Guy told me they can't do anything about it and I'd have to work with Marlin, which is technically correct.

So cleaning is done. Will shoot it this weekend. Shoot the heck out of it to flush out anything out of the ordinary. I think my rings and scope are actually going to cost more than the rifle itself anyway. :)

Burtonwurton
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Damn that is dirty..when i purchased mine it was pretty clean. Even shooting 300 rounds out of the rifle at the range it never got that dirty.

dgey
05-04-2009, 4:18 PM
it truly amazes me how much knowledge people have on this board. everyone knows so much more than the manufacturers. wow...

Capt Jack
05-04-2009, 5:21 PM
I would say that was more than just a test fire. I took mine apart before I shot it and it was not as bad as that. As others have said, take pics and then give it a good cleaning to see if there is any damage before sending it back. Then again, I am pretty anal and would hate the idea that someone had an issue with it, returned it and then I got it only to have the same damn issue.

Just curious, they would have DROS'd it to someone so maybe there is a record that can be checked? Or, some sneaky Big 5 employee took it out for the night and brought it back real early? (<-- not likely....):confused:

high_revs
05-04-2009, 5:52 PM
Hey Capt... I'm doubt Big 5 employees would take it out for a spin. I don't think it's worth over the job they have, not to mention bigger toys they can play with if that really was being done (doubt it, and don't want to instigate they would). I don't really know the assistant mgr, but I've met him thru forums and probably other means years back. I'm confident he's on the up-n-up with me. There's actually no returns so DROS check might not necessarily give me info. The next step is really the manufacturer.

I called Burris today and got the model numbers I need for my rings. Oddly, it was "airsoft/rimfire" stuff, not quite the Zee rings I thought they'd be from another thread in the optics sub-forum.

How do you mean by your quote Dgey?
it truly amazes me how much knowledge people have on this board. everyone knows so much more than the manufacturers. wow...

rabagley
05-04-2009, 9:09 PM
Every Marlin I've ever owned had a bucket full of sand poured into the action just before shipping. At least, that's what seems to end up on the cleaning materials beside each and every gun.

1895G, 336, 39A, 795 and my dad's 39M. All five needed a serious cleaning before they shot right. But then each and every one of them REALLY shot right.

I love my Marlins, but their test firing and shipping prep does not leave a clean rifle.

BigDogatPlay
05-04-2009, 9:39 PM
An interesting situation. From the pics the action looks far dirtier than one ten round mag of ammo for factory testing. I'd wonder if the parts weren't well degreased after manufacuturing and before assembly. I can't imagine even the biggest doof at Big5 screwing with their FFL by taking for sale guns out for a test drive... but I suppose that stranger things have happened.

FWIW I have several Marlins and have owned others. My 1894C and Model 60, both purchased in the past couple of years, were both clean enough to indicate that they had only been fired a couple of rounds at the factory. Both of the 444s I've owned, both purchased new, had maybe a couple of powder crumbs in the bore and that was it. My 39A was a bit grubbier, but not so much so that it was unreasonable.

And every single one of them is a superb shooter, which is what really counts. I enjoy them and trust them for the tasks I own them for. I've been wanting one of their .22 bolts to do some inexpensive target plinking with, but heavy barrels aren't available in .22 LR, only in .17 or .22 WMR. That's making me want to spend the extra bucks and get a Savage or (even more) a CZ.

Marlin has been getting knocked the past couple years for quality control and for sometimes spotty customer service. Some Marlinophiles, including me, are hoping that the acquisition of Marlin by Remington will help in the QC area.

Sunwolf
05-05-2009, 4:30 AM
ALL firearms I have bought EVER have always been dirty.Browning,Sako,Tikka,Winchester,Savage,you name it.