PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to lend a rifle to a friend?

patriot.saint
05-03-2009, 8:33 PM
Is it legal for me to lend a rifle to a friend? The rifle is an OLL that is legally configured/equipped. My friend is not a person prohibitted from owning firearms and recently purchased/dros/picked up a handgun several weeks ago. He has a safe full of rifles...just not an OLL.

Is it okay for me to lend him my OLL for a couple of weeks?

Nullzero
05-03-2009, 9:03 PM
I would not do it personally. Maybe someone else can chime in if its possible to write out some sort of short term lease/rental agreement? Similar to what pawnshops do.

dondo
05-03-2009, 9:05 PM
Let him borrow the Mini 14.

pullnshoot25
05-03-2009, 9:09 PM
Lending a rifle is not an issue. Just tell him to not commit any crimes with it and clean it up before he brings it back.

dmckean44
05-03-2009, 9:14 PM
It's perfectly legal.

patriot.saint
05-03-2009, 9:15 PM
Are there any specific penal codes out there that say I can or can't lend a rifle to someone who is not prohibitted from owning one? If so, what's the section?

I just want to make sure everything is kosher before I lend him the rifle. I trust him and know he wouldn't do anything against the law. I just don't trust the lame ca laws.

pullnshoot25
05-03-2009, 9:17 PM
Are there any specific penal codes out there that say I can or can't lend a rifle to someone who is not prohibitted from owning one? If so, what's the section?

I just want to make sure everything is kosher before I lend him the rifle. I trust him and know he wouldn't do anything against the law. I just don't trust the lame ca laws.

Nothing in the rule books about it except you cant loan a firearm for more than 30 days at a time and no more than 6 times per year (IIRC).

patriot.saint
05-03-2009, 9:21 PM
Nothing in the rule books about it except you cant loan a firearm for more than 30 days at a time and no more than 6 times per year (IIRC).

This is good info. Where in the penal code does it say this?

Shane916
05-03-2009, 9:26 PM

Hehe the 6 times per year is for selling handguns.

operationblackwater
05-03-2009, 9:26 PM
Lending a rifle is not an issue. Just tell him to not commit any crimes with it and clean it up before he brings it back.

DITTO!

BTW if the weapon comes back to you with a scratch or ding, it will possibly be last time you will let anyone borrow it.

patriot.saint
05-03-2009, 9:30 PM
DITTO!

BTW if the weapon comes back to you with a scratch or ding, it will possibly be last time you will let anyone borrow it.

Not too worried about that, it's not a safe queen.

Shane916
05-03-2009, 9:32 PM
This is good info. Where in the penal code does it say this?

I believe PC 12078

bwiese
05-03-2009, 9:42 PM
PC 12078(d) indeed allows an "infrequent loan" of firearms, between parties known to each other, for a lawful purpose, for a period of up to 30 days. If the gun is a handgun, the borrower must hold a valid HSC.

However, what you have decsribed here is a Prime Recipe for a clusterfluck - apparent Noob lending to another.

Your noob friend is likely not an informed Calgunner, and probably can't quote the relevant Penal Code "book, chapter and verse" nor describe why the OLL gun is legal. [Plus, he could do something boneheaded and perchance put in a hicap mag in a fixed-mag gun or screw with the magcatch and make an illegally-configured rifle.]

If this dude has an interaction with a non-knowledgable LEO and doesn't have appropriate verbal & mental agility, it could go sideways. And then that brings your name into things, with perhaps an interesting knock at your door... make sure the rest of your life is put together. (If this happened, at best say goodbye to your gun for awhile.)

CGF has handled defense of several "drama" scenes involving OLLs and these have sometimes involved third parties - specifically, stupid roomates, as well as unknowledgable observers, etc.

Why actively seek to make your life more complex? If he wants to borrow a gun, lend him a Remington 700.

If he wants an OLL he can come to the range and shoot yours with you - or get his own.

kermit
05-03-2009, 9:49 PM
From Page 38 of the 2007 Ca Firearms booklet
2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm in the
following instances:
• Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any
lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal Code 12078(d).)
• Loans of a firearm for the purpose of shooting at targets on the premises of a target facility
if the firearm is kept within the premises of the target facility at all times.
(Penal Code 12078(h).)
• Loans of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with blanks for use solely as a
prop for motion picture, television or other entertainment event. (Penal Code 12078(s).)
• Loans of a long gun to a licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the
hunting season for which the firearm is being used. (Penal Code 12078(q).)
• Loans to minors by a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent:
- Long guns may be loaned for an indefinite period.
- Handguns may be loaned for the purpose of engaging in a lawful activity, and the loan does not
exceed the period of time necessary to participate in the
activity.
• Loans to minors by other than a parent or legal guardian:
- Long guns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian if the
loan does not exceed 30 days.
- Handguns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian for not more
than 10 days. (Penal Code 12078(p).)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

ETA - While it is legal to lend a rifle, I would agree with Bill that is is not wise to lend an OLL.

MKE
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I'd heed bwiese's recommendation like kermit suggested.

There is no way I'd lend a $1200+ rifle to anyone who doesn't have adequate knowledge of the laws governing OLL, especially in this state. For me, it's just too risky to the possibility of getting your rifle confinscated by a LEO who may not know any better.

DDT
05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
There is no way I'd lend a $1200+ rifle

$1200?!?! When did you buy yours? Last September? Double that at today's prices.

As others have said it is perfectly legal but we are in the unfortunate situation of living in CA and there is a chance that LEO contact would result in the gun being confiscated rightly or wrongly. Unless your friend is well versed in OLL law and/or willing to reimburse you should the weapon be confiscated I'd choose to not loan at this time.

The good news is that 2 years from now the landscape may be much better for the simple loan of an AR.

bodger
05-03-2009, 10:25 PM

What if you loaned someone a firearm 20 years ago when such laws were not in effect, and they still have the gun? And not prohibited, of course.

Sorry, a little off topic.

TwitchALot
05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
$1200?!?! When did you buy yours? Last September? Double that at today's prices.

Double? My AR is set to be around $1200, and I'm still buying parts ($1200 for the basic gun, anyway). You aren't counting accessories, are you? :TFH:

pullnshoot25
05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
What if you loaned someone a firearm 20 years ago when such laws were not in effect, and they still have the gun? And not prohibited, of course.

Sorry, a little off topic.

Rifles aren't registered. Don't worry about it.

JDay
05-03-2009, 11:28 PM

You can loan a firearm for more than 30 days if you go to an ffl and have them do a DROS for a loan.

otteray
05-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Never again, after a shotgun was returned with rust on the receiver and barrel.:mad:

kermit
05-04-2009, 9:06 AM
Is it legal for me to lend a rifle to a friend? The rifle is an OLL that is legally configured/equipped. My friend is not a person prohibitted from owning firearms and recently purchased/dros/picked up a handgun several weeks ago. He has a safe full of rifles...just not an OLL.

Is it okay for me to lend him my OLL for a couple of weeks?

It would be better to take him to the range; get him on-board with the limitations; have him visit and research this site; and get him to build up his own OLL. We need all the company we can get in the PRK.:thumbsup:

Amacias805
05-04-2009, 9:21 AM
It would be better to take him to the range; get him on-board with the limitations; have him visit and research this site; and get him to build up his own OLL. We need all the company we can get in the PRK.:thumbsup:

+1 billion....:thumbsup:

why would you loan your Ar of all guns? most people pay between 1100 - 1800 for. take him to the range, show him calguns, Ar15.com and get him to buy his own. :p....

bodger
05-04-2009, 10:07 AM
All things considered, I'm not loaning any type of firearm to anyone, ever. Period.
If someone wants to come to the range with me and shoot with me, that's one thing. But handing someone one of my guns to go use on their own, even someone I trust, just sounds like a bad idea. Even if it's done legally and within the parameters of the convulted laws.
And an AR?
Might as well just take it to the big Villaragoisa gun surrender festival and get
$200.

M1A Rifleman
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Its not legal if it is a registered AW. A related issue is lending Hi mags is also a No No.