PDA

View Full Version : Applying Nordyke to other (Western) States,

gunsmith
05-03-2009, 4:01 PM
Hawaii needs a wake up call, colleges in most states need a wake up call.
Does anyone know of any lawsuits going on?

For instance, in NV ccw is widespread except for colleges, I know a few people that work for UNLV Reno that want to carry and cant, the community college is almost all adults and they cant carry.

My contacts in NV have not even heard of Nordyke until I told them!
Did we catch the NRA napping with our victory?

I talked to the head of IL/NRA in Oct in Reno and he had not heard of Nordyke and said he "doubts" CA can get shall issue.

I sure hope they're singing a different tune now...

Anyway, can't we make Hawaii and other States tow the line?

JDay
05-03-2009, 4:13 PM
Hawaii needs a wake up call, colleges in most states need a wake up call.
Does anyone know of any lawsuits going on?

For instance, in NV ccw is widespread except for colleges, I know a few people that work for UNLV Reno that want to carry and cant, the community college is almost all adults and they cant carry.

My contacts in NV have not even heard of Nordyke until I told them!
Did we catch the NRA napping with our victory?

I talked to the head of IL/NRA in Oct in Reno and he had not heard of Nordyke and said he "doubts" CA can get shall issue.

I sure hope they're singing a different tune now...

Anyway, can't we make Hawaii and other States tow the line?

This is probably because the people in these states choose to ignore California all together.

7x57
05-03-2009, 4:18 PM
Probably because The Right People keep telling us that the lawsuits need to be intelligently planned, and one key strategy seems to be going after the most obvious infringements first. That probably means that the initial challenges should come in the anti-gun strongholds, California and Hawaii.

Between those two, my suspicion is that HI doesn't have the organized, determined, and smart gun lobby with really good legal advice that we do, so I think California is "it."

That makes Calguns of enormous national significance, BTW.

7x57

BigDogatPlay
05-03-2009, 5:32 PM
Most (all?) of the other states in the Ninth Circuit save for Hawaii, have RKBA in their state constitution and are shall issue already. California is, along with Hawaii, the red headed step child of firearms law within the circuit. As noted above, there doesn't seem to be a well organized pro 2A movemnent in Hawaii as yet.

The battle is here.

Telperion
05-03-2009, 5:42 PM
Some stronger judicial decisions are needed before Hawaii's laws can be challenged. Roughly speaking, Hawaii is similar to post-Heller DC in that guns can be purchased and kept in the home after obtaining a permit and registering the firearm in question. Carry permits are may-issue. While the guns laws in Hawaii are strict, they are not byzantine like in California.

JDay
05-03-2009, 5:48 PM
Some stronger judicial decisions are needed before Hawaii's laws can be challenged. Roughly speaking, Hawaii is similar to post-Heller DC in that guns can be purchased and kept in the home after obtaining a permit and registering the firearm in question. Carry permits are may-issue. While the guns laws in Hawaii are strict, they are not byzantine like in California.

Don't you need to get a Hawaii permit before you can even travel there with a firearm?

Telperion
05-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Don't you need to get a Hawaii permit before you can even travel there with a firearm?
I think the firearm needs to be registered within 3 days of arrival, but no advance permit is required, and there is no fee for registration.

nicki
05-03-2009, 8:54 PM
Actually Hawaii does have a RKBA, it is pretty much word for word like the 2nd amendment.

There are Hawaiian gun rights activists, it is going to get interesting to say the least.

Nicki

DDT
05-03-2009, 9:10 PM
While the guns laws in Hawaii are strict, they are not byzantine like in California.

I would think this makes them better for creating case law as there is less likely to be the myriad of mitigating and contingent laws (e.g. concealed carry, unloaded locked carry, citizen v. resident concealed transport, RAW v. "standard" long gun transport) when challenging a straightforward infringement.

CSDGuy
05-03-2009, 9:30 PM
I was planning a hunting trip to Hawaii--ha you thought Kommiefornia was bad. In Hawaii *all* firearms must be registered within 72 hours of arriving on the Islands, no advance permit required, otherwise felony charges coming at you! There is only 4 places in Hawaii you can posess a firearm *or ammunition* and it not be a felony! 1. In an approved hunting area. 2. An approved gun range. 3.Transporting to-- gun range, hunting area, gun smith, police dept or airport to leave the Island. 4. Your own private property / home. More fun regulations like-- if you even stop for gas enroute while transporting a firearm or ammunition it is a Felony. Regulations treat ammo same as firearm!! NO camping in hunting areas at least not on Maui, you must sign in and sign out of hunting areas, pretty sure entire State this way. One felony charge per bullet for violations. Visiting out of State LE or retired LE are not allowed to conceal carry. The only people allowed to posess firearms other than described above are Local PD and active military in course of duty only, No visiting private security, PI's, LE, AG's nope nobody!. Hawaiins must have medical release from psychiatrist to buy guns and ammo.
Governor reserves the right in Emergency to confiscate all guns.
Hmmm. That might make for an interesting Federal Court case should someone who meets all LEOSA qualifications be caught. Of course, they'd have to avoid those areas that the LEOSA says that it doesn't apply to...

CSDGuy
05-03-2009, 9:51 PM
Exactly...

JDay
05-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Actually Hawaii does have a RKBA, it is pretty much word for word like the 2nd amendment.

There are Hawaiian gun rights activists, it is going to get interesting to say the least.

Nicki

Since April 20 it is word for word the 2nd Amendment.