PDA

View Full Version : Pew research poll: public coming around on gun control

CessnaDriver
05-03-2009, 4:38 PM
We're getting through folks, keep it up!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/05/02/shocker-public-takes-conservative-turn-gun-control-abortion

"For the first time in a Pew Research survey, nearly as many people believe it is more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns (45%) than to control gun ownership (49%). As recently as a year ago, 58% said it was more important to control gun ownership while 37% said it was more important to protect the right to own guns."

JDay
05-03-2009, 5:10 PM
Now we just need to get that number up another 30% or so.

rabagley
05-03-2009, 5:57 PM
As JDay says, 50/50 is not our success criteria. We need to change enough minds on this issue that it's eccentric and unusual to believe that gun control has any value.

80%/20% feels like the right numbers to claim a shift of cultural norms.

CessnaDriver
05-03-2009, 6:00 PM
There's movement, and the way gun and ammo sales are going more and more gun owners, owners that will become political, influence their friends and family. Nothing quite wakes you up to politics like gun ownership.

Sure, I agree, must keep fighting.
But there is reason for optimism.

Experimentalist
05-03-2009, 7:04 PM
I wonder what the margin of error might be on this survey?

CessnaDriver
05-03-2009, 7:58 PM
There is a lot of good info in the full poll.
By region, gender, gun owner or not.......

Here is the link to the actual Pew poll page.....
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1212/abortion-gun-control-opinion-gender-gap

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 2:31 AM
Ah - but how exactly was the question asked? (didn't see it on the link)

Has a huge impact on the results. And how many of those were voters?

If we can get 80/20 split in the VOTING population we are in good shape. The non-voters opinions don't really change much, its like having a bullet with out a gun.

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 2:40 AM
Ah - but how exactly was the question asked? (didn't see it on the link)

Has a huge impact on the results. And how many of those were voters?

If we can get 80/20 split in the VOTING population we are in good shape. The non-voters opinions don't really change much, its like having a bullet with out a gun.

found it:
What do you think is more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns, OR to control gun ownership?

to many in the middle this question is very open ended. Should we allow all excons, felons, legally insane etc. to own guns, or should there be some control?

To me I would say the question is pretty skewed toward and anti opinion (go figure) as it gives one as an ultimatum (protect the right to own guns), and the other as an open ended spectrum of HOW much control is bad.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 2:41 AM
We're getting through folks, keep it up!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/05/02/shocker-public-takes-conservative-turn-gun-control-abortion

"For the first time in a Pew Research survey, nearly as many people believe it is more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns (45%) than to control gun ownership (49%). As recently as a year ago, 58% said it was more important to control gun ownership while 37% said it was more important to protect the right to own guns."

I mentioned this in another thread - but a lot of it has to do with a perceived erosion of civil liberties over the last bunch of years. A lot of people feel that the constitution was trampled on under the previous administration - and above all they just want to make sure no more rights are being attacked. Even if it's a right they don't believe in, or choose not to exercise.

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I mentioned this in another thread - but a lot of it has to do with a perceived erosion of civil liberties over the last bunch of years. A lot of people feel that the constitution was trampled on under the previous administration - and above all they just want to make sure no more rights are being attacked. Even if it's a right they don't believe in, or choose not to exercise.

Funny how that backfired on both sides. I do certainly agree it has made many people much more aware and concerned over the constitution - even for some begrudgingly, especially in light of Heller, that the 2A is a part of it.

I think all the internal spying/wiretaps, etc. did us the most good as it made the paranoids types seem a lot less paranoid, and made the rosy colored colored glasses types a little more paranoid. "Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of..."