PDA

View Full Version : Second Amendment March

Hobie
05-03-2009, 4:38 PM
I would like all of you to take a minute or two and visit the Second Amendment March site (http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com). The goal of the organization is to have a march on Washington D.C. in support of our gun rights and to do so in the spring of 2010. Much of the next 350 days is needed to enlist marchers, raise money to support the march and to organize the transportation for the marchers to the march.

The organization is not right or left, Republican or Democrat, but it is PRO-GUN RIGHTS. If the RKBA is important to you please visit the site. Share this with your friends and family who shoot. Share this with your friends and family who believe in liberty.

7x57
05-03-2009, 4:56 PM
:lurk5:

CCWFacts
05-03-2009, 5:00 PM
I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS EVENT! This is a very ill-conceived idea. Marches are the recourse of the powerless and of groups that exist only for the self-gratification of their members.

If this march happens, the way it will look on the news is they will show a clip of a bunch of overweight white guys holding up angry and creepy signs, and then they will cut to a few choice interview clips. Inevitably the interview clips will be with someone who is too intense, who is talking about how he needs guns because of illegal immigrants, or the truth of 9/11, or the Federal Reserve, or similar such statements. All the viewers at home who are fence-sitters on the gun issue will say to themselves, "yeah, that confirms what I was thinking about gun owners. I sure hope they pass that assault weapons ban again."

SO DON'T GO! DON'T PROMOTE IT! LET IT DIE A QUIET AND FORGOTTEN DEATH!

JDay
05-03-2009, 5:04 PM
I cant find it now but there was another thread about this last week. Front Sight is giving away free certificates for training at this event, they do not expire either.

JDay
05-03-2009, 5:06 PM
I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS EVENT! This is a very ill-conceived idea. Marches are the recourse of the powerless and of groups that exist only for the self-gratification of their members.

If this march happens, the way it will look on the news is they will show a clip of a bunch of overweight white guys holding up angry and creepy signs, and then they will cut to a few choice interview clips. Inevitably the interview clips will be with someone who is too intense, who is talking about how he needs guns because of illegal immigrants, or the truth of 9/11, or the Federal Reserve, or similar such statements. All the viewers at home who are fence-sitters on the gun issue will say to themselves, "yeah, that confirms what I was thinking about gun owners. I sure hope they pass that assault weapons ban again."

This is exactly why we need as many normal people to show up as possible, do you think those other people are going to miss this event?

bodger
05-03-2009, 5:35 PM

I tend agree. If somehow a Bo Gritz type character ends up being the grand marshall, the media will focus on that, and paint us all with the same brush.

cj cake
05-03-2009, 6:24 PM
Unfortunately we can't do anything about the liberal media and their attempt to demonize anything that is related to firearms! But this should not stop us from letting the politicians know how we feel. Even they will recognize that there are thousands of decent hard working Americans at this event and not just a bunch of ignorant "bubbas".

1859sharps
05-03-2009, 7:42 PM
Not the first time this march has been brought up here.

I thought it was a bad idea then, and still do.

MP301
05-03-2009, 9:47 PM
This is exactly why we need as many normal people to show up as possible, do you think those other people are going to miss this event?

Correct. I have said it before and ill say it again. If you cant stop an event like this (and you cant in this case), then you had better make sure its not just the knuckledraggers that show up! The more people that show up in ties or at least polo shirts, looking nice and keeping the rehtoric under control, the better.

If you know knuckle draggers, take the time to tell them not to look, act and dress like a freakin ape if they go.

This will not die and go quietly into the night. Therefore, like any other tactical manuver, its about the damage control.... Sitting home and doing nothing only helps make the prophecy come true...self fullfilling and all that....

I do think that, because of the potential for boneheads showing up, that its probably a bad idea for NRA, CGF, etc,. to endorse it publicly...but for every decent person that doesnt go makes it easier for the media to spot and utilize the "overweight fat white guys"

DDT
05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
The Million Mag March?

(No offense meant wheel gunners)

nicki
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Considering it is in Washington, alot of how well this march will go will depend on how committed activists are from surrounding states.

There are probably 10 million gun owners within a 300 radius of Wash DC. If you go out 600 miles, the number probably would be at least 20 million.

Now, the issue is how many of them will commit the time and money to actually go.

This will be either a great event or a bust.

Nicki

MP301
05-03-2009, 11:45 PM
The Million Mag March?

(No offense meant wheel gunners)

Im in!

MP301
05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I think most people here are talking about the local marches that are supposed to take place at our states capitols. Sacramento....

MontClaire
05-03-2009, 11:50 PM

It's because we know the truth of 911 and federal reserve- we need our guns more than ever. the rest sheeple will be that: just sheeple and I can't adjust my life plans according to what it will look like on news to them...the sheeple.

mossy
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM

+1 there is no need to march

DDT
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
It's because we know the truth of 911 and federal reserve-

Was this meant as humor or were you being serious. Sadly I have to ask.

JDay
05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Considering it is in Washington, alot of how well this march will go will depend on how committed activists are from surrounding states.

There are probably 10 million gun owners within a 300 radius of Wash DC. If you go out 600 miles, the number probably would be at least 20 million.

Now, the issue is how many of them will commit the time and money to actually go.

Nicki

Its supposed to be in all 50 states.

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Its supposed to be in all 50 states.

I would like all of you to take a minute or two and visit the Second Amendment March site (http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com). The goal of the organization is to have a march on Washington D.C. in support of our gun rights and to do so in the spring of 2010. Much of the next 350 days is needed to enlist marchers, raise money to support the march and to organize the transportation for the marchers to the march.

The organization is not right or left, Republican or Democrat, but it is PRO-GUN RIGHTS. If the RKBA is important to you please visit the site. Share this with your friends and family who shoot. Share this with your friends and family who believe in liberty.

I am pro 2A but I am not marching from CA to DC!

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 12:40 AM

If there were a million timid accountants with no political opinions there, and there's one 9/11 truther with overly intense opinions about illegal immigrants and the Mayan calendar there, the million timid accountants will not matter because it's the one nut out of a million who makes a more interesting story and will get all the airtime that the media deigns to provide for the event.

And you know what, even if the only people to show up at the event are timid accountants, good-natured florists, and professional pianists, it would still be bad because such marches are a sign of weakness and hopeless movements.

DDT
05-04-2009, 1:01 AM
The worst part is that all the "timid accountants" in the background of the "nut job's" interview are assumed to be on the same tin-foil-lined page as him.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 1:36 AM

Nicki

My experience when I lived in the area (both just outside of DC and up and down the east coast in general) - is that people know any kind of march, or event, or rally - in DC is going to be a circus. Even if it's something one supports, the vast majority of people who show up are out-of-town'ers. Most people who have been to these kind of events, typically make it a 1 time only affair, even if something comes up that they're really interested in.

These things are just a nightmare for everyone. Really.
Ultimately - I also don't think they have much of an effect. Everyone thinks "oh, we'll march on washington! that'll show 'em!" Problem is, it happens so often now that most people just get pissed that you're blocking up traffic.

Bottom line is - we live in the Media age. The days of huge rallies and marches on Washington to gain attention for a cause or influence politicians is largely passed. On the local level (huge demonstration out side of a courthouse or city hall) it's a bit more effective - but these mega rallies just don't do it anymore.

If you want to make your presence felt, and want to do something to help let politicians know how important the 2nd is to you - speak with your wallet. Support candidates who support your cause. Like I said, this is the media age - and media costs big money.

I also suggest speaking with your wallet in a non-partisan way. If there's democrats that have a good NRA rating, support them too. This issue has become so partisan and so politicized that it makes it very difficult for politicians to cross party lines on this issue. You're a dem voting pro-gun? If they're not from a heavily heavily pro-gun district - they're going to be in trouble. Funding dries up, and support from the pro-gun movement is non-existent from the pro-gun movement because they have a D in front of their name. If you support the candidates that support the pro-2nd cause, and not just the party - you get a lot further.

Anyways - got off topic for awhile there. The point I was trying to make is these marches don't change minds. Simply draws a line in the sand. Pro-gun politicians will see it as support from the pro-gun movement, anti-gun politicians simply see it as a reason to get to (anti-gun) work.

Think very carefully about how you approach these things.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 1:40 AM
And you know what, even if the only people to show up at the event are timid accountants, good-natured florists, and professional pianists, it would still be bad because such marches are a sign of weakness and hopeless movements.

I don't see it as a sign of weakness and hopeless movements - I see it as a sign of being out of touch with how society functions today, or nostalgia for the 60s.
You want to make people think you're living in the past? Go do a huge rally in washington. You want to change minds - launch a media campaign.

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 8:35 AM
I don't see it as a sign of weakness and hopeless movements - I see it as a sign of being out of touch with how society functions today, or nostalgia for the 60s.

Well, it's that too, but it's also a sign of a weak movement. Movements that do marches do it for the gratification of the marchers, not to make any political difference, because, as you say, the march does not make a difference. If you want to see the kinds of movements that do marches, how hopeless and weak they are, and how nutty the marchers look, take a look at ZombieTime.com (no link, some images may be shocking and offensive to anyone who believes in America's ideals). I get the feeling that marches are mainly used by powerless far-left groups these days as a way to make their misguided followers feel good about themselves and give them an opportunity to flaunt their insanity.

You want to make people think you're living in the past? Go do a huge rally in washington. You want to change minds - launch a media campaign.

Yeah. Please don't go to this march!

The worst part is that all the "timid accountants" in the background of the "nut job's" interview are assumed to be on the same tin-foil-lined page as him.

Yeah, so even the "we need to go so there will be more reasonable people there" argument breaks down. Even timid accountants and good-natured florists do harm by being there, making it seem like there are more people who agree with the Mayan calendar expert's views.

nick
05-04-2009, 8:52 AM

Kind of like the tea parties? :)

shark92651
05-04-2009, 8:56 AM
Exactly :iagree:

I don't think it matters if "normal" people show up or not. Just look at how the liberal media treated the teaparty attendees ("*********s"). It's no longer beneath the mainstream media to resort to using sexual double entendres to ridicule people that they disagree with. MSNBC, CNN, and ABC will no doubt gleefully spin this to make the 2A supporters out to be a small group of backwards radicals.

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Exactly :iagree:

I don't think it matters if "normal" people show up or not. Just look at how the liberal media treated the teaparty attendees ("*********s"). It's no longer beneath the mainstream media to resort to using sexual double entendres to ridicule people that they disagree with. MSNBC, CNN, and ABC will no doubt gleefully spin this to make the 2A supporters out to be a small group of backwards radicals.

First - the tea party organizers STARTED using teabag as a verb - it was not stuck on by the media, they sure took advantage of it, but if you stick a label on your forehead saying "moron" 'cuz you think its a neat word, you can't blame people for following up on it. As someone here wrote, somethings just show how out of touch certain people are.

how much respect and action did all those post BART shooting protest marchers garner? What did most of you think about the one's that participated? why do you think anyone will think differently just because the "cause" is one YOU support?

rp55
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM

+1 I went to first pro2A political rally in the late 70's. By the mid 80's I had given up on them because they accomplish nothing and prevent nothing. It's not even that they had some small effect, they had *NO* effect.

What I have learned is that the single best thing you can do personally to help preserve the Second Amendment is to take an acquaintance with no experience with guns shooting. It is infectious.

DocSkinner
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
+1 I went to first pro2A political rally in the late 70's. By the mid 80's I had given up on them because they accomplish nothing and prevent nothing. It's not even that they had some small effect, they had *NO* effect.

What I have learned is that the single best thing you can do personally to help preserve the Second Amendment is to take an acquaintance with no experience with guns shooting. It is infectious.

That and printed paper letters to reps. Crowds are people that love crowds and attention, and may not even bother voting. A letter writer is a thinker that votes, and will be paying attention to how THEY vote, instead of being happy with lipservice.

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Crowds are people that love crowds and attention, and may not even bother voting.

THAT'S RIGHT! That's what I mean that marches are about the gratification of the marchers, not about anything beyond that. If you look at the pictures on ZombieTime.com it's very clear, marches are about the marchers enjoying being in a crowd, chanting slogans, and flaunting how weird they are.

This is what marchers look like. Whatever their message happens to be, this is how it comes across:

http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/135-3575_2IMG.JPG

nicki
05-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I am not for or against the march, there are pros and cons with every action.

If a protest march is done the way the left has done it, then the march would be a bust.

But I do recall several years back a "Christian Men's group" that had a huge march in Washington. They had around 1 million men show up.

I know that many feminists groups weren't happen since the group was promoting traditional values.

What was funny was listening to the news reporters I caught on one TV show talk about the march because they were stunned that there were no arrests, no destruction of property, that the people were civil and orderly.

IMHO, unless the march can get at least 250,000 people to really commit to go, they should not have the march.

Few of us would go anyway, it would be probably a 1K commitment to go.

It may be sensible for those of us who would network with other gun activists or for those of us who would actually be speakers to go, but for the rest of us, our time and money would be better spent here in California.

Of course, there are those here who would like to go to the east coast for other things and a trip to the march would be part of a vacation, but for most of us that wouldn't be the issue.

Nicki

Kid Stanislaus
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
...but for every decent person that doesnt go makes it easier for the media to spot and utilize the "overweight fat white guys"

I guess its OK to slam overweight white guys? BTW "overweight fat white guys" is a redundancy.

Kid Stanislaus
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd like to march in Sacramento but only if its a UOC event.

demnogis
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I would make an effort to appear at the state capitol. Of course, if there's a GFSZ there UOC would be prohibited.

GenLee
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm a white, angry, fat guy so I will definately NOT be showing up. :p

DDT
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
First - the tea party organizers STARTED using teabag as a verb - it was not stuck on by the media, they sure took advantage of it, but if you stick a label on your forehead saying "moron" 'cuz you think its a neat word, you can't blame people for following up on it.

Sadly the "teabagging" references are not a bad analog for what could happen to a 2A rally. A few people say something stupid and it gets picked up by a few others and all of a sudden ever person attending a tea-party is painted with the teabagging reference.

Imagine the same thing happening at these 2A marches. Someone brings up the fact that the second amendment is meant to give "we the people" the ability to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. Some idiot 2 rows back shouts, "Like Obama and his gun grabbing AG!!"

Next thing you know, the reporters are asking everyone about this portion of 2A and they have 25 or 50 sound bites of people saying that 2A is about protection from tyranny and 2 or 3 people shouting "Like Obama" or some such.

Now, you have ABC leading the evening news with "One million people march on America supporting revolution!" "Can we allow these people to be armed?"

As a complete aside: the whole teabagging thing is quite funny in context. The left keeps saying that the right wing Christians are all sexually repressed because they don't feel sex ed is appropriate school fodder, so clearly they are asexual beings other than pro-creation. Then, when the whole teabagging thing comes up it's all about how the right wing nuts are just sexualizing a political movement.

singleshotman
05-04-2009, 8:43 PM
all you persons who thing this is a "Bad" idea have NEVER read a history book.I've read too many books, but i've learned that the power of the people, even without guns, is what the GOVERMENT is afraid of.Just finished an old book "The last Jews in Berlin".Has a great story in it-if you were jewish and married to a Catholtic YOU COULD NOT BE DEPORTED TO THE EAST.That's a NAZI LAW. Seems Hitler got tired of the fact that there were still 4,000 still in Berlin in 1943, so he ordered them all rounded up, and shipped to the usual places.The NEXT DAY 500 WOMEN SHOWED UP AND DEMANDED their Husbands back at Gestapo headquarters.The Gestapo gave-in and gave them ALL back.IF Hitlers boys were afraid of 500 women just think what 100,000 gunowners would do to OBAMA. HE WOULD BE PISSING IN HIS PANTS.Read a History book sometime, you might learn something.

Ding126
05-04-2009, 9:13 PM
I concur

Swiss
05-04-2009, 9:49 PM
You want to change minds - launch a media campaign.

Yep, that's the answer. Imagine if everyone who would've attended the march were to donate their travel and lodging costs to a well run media campaign. That would get real results.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
THAT'S RIGHT! That's what I mean that marches are about the gratification of the marchers, not about anything beyond that. If you look at the pictures on ZombieTime.com it's very clear, marches are about the marchers enjoying being in a crowd, chanting slogans, and flaunting how weird they are.

This is what marchers look like. Whatever their message happens to be, this is how it comes across:

http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/135-3575_2IMG.JPG

Stop - you're being too nice. :p

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
all you persons who thing this is a "Bad" idea have NEVER read a history book.I've read too many books, but i've learned that the power of the people, even without guns, is what the GOVERMENT is afraid of.Just finished an old book "The last Jews in Berlin".Has a great story in it-if you were jewish and married to a Catholtic YOU COULD NOT BE DEPORTED TO THE EAST.That's a NAZI LAW. Seems Hitler got tired of the fact that there were still 4,000 still in Berlin in 1943, so he ordered them all rounded up, and shipped to the usual places.The NEXT DAY 500 WOMEN SHOWED UP AND DEMANDED their Husbands back at Gestapo headquarters.The Gestapo gave-in and gave them ALL back.IF Hitlers boys were afraid of 500 women just think what 100,000 gunowners would do to OBAMA. HE WOULD BE PISSING IN HIS PANTS.Read a History book sometime, you might learn something.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.
Pissing in his pants? Why? You wouldn't even get close to him.

Go take 100,000 gun owners - and try knocking on the door of the White House saying you want to talk to the president about his gun-control stance. See how far you get.

The pro-gun movement's views are no secret. They have not been a secret for a very very long time. Even if you got 10mil people together for a pro-2nd march, it doesn't accomplish anything - as everyone already knows we're out here. Everyone knows what our cause is, everyone knows what we want. The question is whether or not they care in the first place. If they don't care - you're not going to make them care through intimidation by large numbers.

To flip that around - if the Brady campaign launched a protest in front of NRA headquarters and 100,000 people showed up, would any of us be "pissing in our pants"? Would any of the executives from the NRA be pissing in their pants? I seriously doubt it. Instead you'd see photo shopped images mocking the protesters with funny little one liners attached being passed around sites like this. Just as the anti-movement throws silly one liners and offensive labels about pro-gun people around.

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
IF Hitlers boys were afraid of 500 women just think what 100,000 gunowners would do to OBAMA. HE WOULD BE PISSING IN HIS PANTS.

This is so naive of the times. Dear Leader will not be pissing in his pants from 100,000 gun owners. In fact he would be happy about it, using it as evidence that we need a new AWB and a new Federal domestic security force to enforce it. It would be a joyful day for him, because he knows how to work the media, and some march of angry, overweight white guys in cammos would play into that perfectly. Believe me, security services in DC would have no trouble stopping 100,000 angry unarmed (or armed, for that matter) marchers if the crowd somehow got unruly. No one would be afraid, much less wetting any trousers.

Stop - you're being too nice. :p

Yeah, I love that picture. It really is a wide-eyed communist!!! Again, I encourage everyone who is thinking of doing this to spend a few maddening / enjoyable minutes or hours on ZombieTime.com, and you will see how bad marches look, how they bring out the worst elements of whatever their movement is, and how they mainly exist for the enjoyment / gratification of the march participants.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Look, the reason why marches were successful in the first place - is it was a show of organization and strength on the part of disaffected minority causes that were thought to have no organization and strength.

The most famous of these is obviously MLK's march on Washington in the 60s. Why was that so influential? Because nobody thought the blacks were organized enough, or had their crap together enough to pull something like that off. The civil rights movement was viewed as being a rag-tag group of instigators who were a fringe minority. Showing up in Washington with hundreds of thousands for an organized rally showed that was not the case. It showed they were organized, they were not a fringe element of society, and they demanded to be taken taken seriously. They were intelligent, articulate, and they were NOT going away like everybody thought they would.

That's not the case with the pro-gun movement. Everybody knows we're here. Everybody knows we're organized, everybody knows we make up a solid segment of the population across all demographics and socio-economic scales. Everybody knows what our pet issue is, and what we want done about it. Showing up in Washington does not demonstrate anything that is not abundantly clear. If middle-of-the-road people throughout the country have not taken a stand on the issue yet, a march on Washington is NOT going to change their minds. All it does is give us the opportunity to beat our chests a little bit and try to feel important, pisses off anyone in/around the DC metro area, and makes politicians (and plenty of ordinary folks as well) roll their eyes as a result.

Nothing good can come of this. We have already achieved the goals that marches are intended to achieve.

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I love that picture. It really is a wide-eyed communist!!! Again, I encourage everyone who is thinking of doing this to spend a few maddening / enjoyable minutes or hours on ZombieTime.com, and you will see how bad marches look, how they bring out the worst elements of whatever their movement is, and how they mainly exist for the enjoyment / gratification of the march participants.

When I lived in NYC - one of my favorite things to do was people watch the anti-war demonstrations. Mind you, I say this as a democrat, but some of these people were just off the farm nutso.
The part that made it so awesome, was even though it was an anti-war rally, these people couldn't figure out wtf that meant. So at an anti-war rally - you might see anything from people protesting civil rights violations by China - to "save the 1 eyed purple people eater" shirts and signs. Of all the protesters there, maybe 60% were actually protesting about the war. The rest were just the regular bunch of loons that wanted any excuse to come out of the woodwork and push their pet causes.

Throw in the obligatory street vendors and people trying to hawk cheap souvenirs(as is normal at any event in NYC - where do they get that crap anyways?) It was all really quite amusing. Very much a circus like atmosphere.

Did it change any minds? Not really. Sure was fun to point and laugh at the nutbags though. :thumbsup:

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
The rest were just the regular bunch of loons that wanted any excuse to come out of the woodwork and push their pet causes.

That's right! Just like you get 9/11 truthers and Mayan calendar experts at the Tea Party rallies. Hello, is there any connection there? No, didn't think so.

Anyway, some of the protesters in the Bay Area protest scene even understand this. They had a "protest" called "How Berkeley can you be", which is an open acknowledgement that protests are just a venue for people to enjoy being weird, so why even define an ostensible cause?

Also look at this guy:

http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp-content/images/im_pro_zombie.jpg

He gets it, and is there only to make fun of how idiotic the other protesters are.

DDT
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I thought this was an anti-zombie site.

CCWFacts
05-04-2009, 11:07 PM

That guy's probably not on this site, even though he would probably enjoy our crowd more than he enjoys his crowd.

7x57
05-05-2009, 9:30 AM

Are you kidding. This is the most pro-zombie site there is, much like Skeet shooters are the most pro-clay pigeon people you'll ever find. :43:

7x57

Bruce
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM

You might want to learn some history too. The last group to march with guns was the Black Panthers. They marched to Sacramento with their guns. They scared the governmant alright. So much so that we ended up with 12031PC.