PDA

View Full Version : ...........

BigBamBoo
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM

10fcp
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
That sounds like a crock of bull to me. I don't think BLM has it's own regulations, State Parks are one thing but National Forest is another. If I were you I would watch the pine cone cops the most. I hear they are the worst.

BigBamBoo
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

hoffmang
05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
18-24 months ago BLM seized a number of OLLs. Those have all been returned in the past 3-6 months.

There was one seizure up in the Bay Area 3 months ago that took about 3 weeks to resolve with a return to rightful owner.

I have heard of no more recent BLM seizures. If they have happened, the owners don't know to contact GCF/Kilmer/TMLLP/NRA.

-Gene

BigBamBoo
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM

SchooBaka
05-03-2009, 1:10 PM
Last weekend I was shooting at a small range in the south cow mountain blm land near Clearlake. I considered taking my wasr 2 with me but it's having issues so I left it and just brought the m1 garand and my usp 45.
Since we didn't make it to the rifle range in north cow mountain, I only ran 8 rounds through the garand and put it away for the usp.
I was playing around with double taps and rapid fire most of the time and the last thing we did was a mag dump on the targets.
As soon as I put the pistol back in the truck a ranger came flying up and said he wanted to inspect or guns, he seemed rather agitated. I showed him my usp and he asked if we had any assault rifles. I told him I just had my usp and my garand, and my buddy had his 9mm ruger. With that he turned around and began walking back to his truck. I asked him what the policy was on OLL's and he turned around and said if I have an assualt rifle I would need the registration paperwork. I then tried to clarify by saying off list ar and ak types not configured as an assault rifle and he said as long as it's not an assault rifle it's ok. I tried to continue the conversation but he seemed like he wasn't interested and got back in his truck and left.
I'm not sure what to make of this. I feel that if I had my wasr 2 with me I might have had it confiscated.

BigBamBoo
05-03-2009, 1:15 PM

JDay
05-03-2009, 1:37 PM
Hmm....again I ask...what authority do rangers and BLM cops have in taking LEGALLY configured AR's,AK,s,etc.?
The whole "ignorance of the law is no excuse" only applies to us commoners I guess.

Take care,Stan

If you're not doing anything illegal I would have to say none. Doesn't mean they wont however. Why haven't people been filing civil rights lawsuits over this? Seems like it needs to be done.

10fcp
05-03-2009, 1:50 PM
Why haven't people been filing civil rights lawsuits.
Very true. At least a formal complaint. Maybe that will get out the message out to these guys that they better know the law before they start shootin their mouths off or confiscating legal firearms.

bwiese
05-03-2009, 2:21 PM
1.) This is a product of lack of knowlegde of BLM and a Fed
agency not knowing state laws. This behavior shows up in
many other non-gun realms as well so it's not unique.

2.) Perhaps the BLM has bad info from CA DOJ.

3.) This BLM behavior can lead to 'interesting situations': Fed agents
depriving people of their Fed rights based on incorrect knowledge of
CA law. Sounds like a great way of getting more cases into court
rapidly ;)

BigBamBoo
05-03-2009, 4:20 PM

AEC1
05-03-2009, 4:35 PM
I am so glad that when we go to BBM, the border patrol dont mess with us.

bodger
05-03-2009, 4:46 PM
Well I guess there is that...except a buddy of mine got "busted" for hunting wild pigs one time on a private ranch where he had written permission from the land owner.
Long story short....on some other land less then a mile away there had been lots of pig poaching going on. So my buddy who knew nothing about it basically gets the brunt of it from the Fish cops.
They cite him with a court date and take his rifle. 9 months later he is cleared of all charges and gets his rifle back.

When he picks his rifle up they give him a now rusty POS with a huge dent in the scope and the bolt missing. He throws a fit and they tell him to take a hike. Plus the legal fees for a attorney, time off work,etc., for someone who was innocent of any crime and HE had to pay.

So I guess my point is I would not want to be the test case on this issue.

Take care,Stan

This kind of thing is why I am wary of being outdoors with a firearm anywhere in California. You have a gun, you MUST be up to no good. Guilty until proven innocent. Or worse, guilty until they can figure out what to charge you with so that you can then assume the burden of proving your innocence.
Your friend was on private land, legally hunting with a legal firearm.
He gets cited without cause, firearm taken away and subsequently returned in ruined condition.
Who broke the law in this scenario? Not your friend.

kakpataka
05-03-2009, 5:18 PM
When I was up at Eldorado National Forest, I stopped by the ranger station.I asked them about the AR with BB etc. I am not sure the lady there knew what I was talking about but she was very evasive. She kept saying that they enforce the State laws of CA. I kept asking her about a properly configured Ar and she kept repeating herself. Either she had no clue what I was talking about or she was the master evader knowing full well what I was talking about.

Whatever happened to that famous Sacto PD OLL memo? It seems no one is
on the same page. AFAIAC, I am not shooting my AR there or anywhere but the range. I dont have the $$$ to hire an attorney. If I did, trust me, I would test em................no matter how much it would cost!

bodger
05-03-2009, 5:32 PM
When I was up at Eldorado National Forest, I stopped by the ranger station.I asked them about the AR with BB etc. I am not sure the lady there knew what I was talking about but she was very evasive. She kept saying that they enforce the State laws of CA. I kept asking her about a properly configured Ar and she kept repeating herself. Either she had no clue what I was talking about or she was the master evader knowing full well what I was talking about.

on the same page. AFAIAC, I am not shooting my AR there or anywhere but the range. I dont have the $$$ to hire an attorney. If I did, trust me, I would test em................no matter how much it would cost!

My guess is that what would have been more accurate for that pine coner to say would have been: "We enforce the state laws of California. We're not sure what they are, but you can be sure we enforce them".

JDay
05-03-2009, 5:33 PM

I wouldn't sweat it too much up there, I've never had a problem in the Eldorado National Forest. The rangers are more concerned with you being safe.

javalos
05-03-2009, 6:01 PM
My son used to be a ranger and patrolled BLM land. He says many rangers are ignorant of the law and tend to unjustly confiscate rifles.

My advice is find a AR friendly shooting range or private land so you won't be disturbed.

cj cake
05-03-2009, 6:16 PM
I spend a lot of time in the Northern California BLM lands (Eagle Lake Feild Office). I know a few BLM LEOs from around the Susanville area. The guys I know are aware of OLLs BBs etc. and have no problem with them as long as they are legally possesed and safley operated. A few of my friends are BLMers (but not LEO) and we built our first OLLs together.

cj cake
05-03-2009, 6:17 PM
I spend a lot of time in the Northern California BLM lands (Eagle Lake Feild Office). I know a few BLM LEOs from around the Susanville area. The guys I know are aware of OLLs BBs etc. and have no problem with them as long as they are legally possesed and safley operated. A few of my friends are BLMers (but not LEO) and we built our first OLLs together. I guess it helps that these guys have a personal interest in firearms and therefore are more educated about the laws than the average Joe.

cj1026
05-03-2009, 6:56 PM
Was out at BLM range on Iron Mtn. Rd. outside of Redding,CA. where I do most of my 100yrd shooting.

Hey Stan
Where is the BLM land you are talking about? My brother lives up there. We went shooting on some BLM land 2 weeks ago. I think they call it area 51 or something like that. It is east of Cottonwood. We were shooting 4 AR's for a couple hours. Never had any problems but a lot of curious people with lots of questions. Still amazes me how many people still don't know they can build a Cali legal AR.

bigcalidave
05-03-2009, 7:41 PM
That place is cool to go, he was talking about iron mountain road, northwest side of redding. I haven't been out to iron mountain in years! I thought it was closed. It's really starting to suck around here, all the BLM lands have no shooting warnings. I thought it was our land, don't we pay for it?