PDA

View Full Version : Congressmen advice on lobbying against AWB

javalos
05-03-2009, 9:34 AM
ADVICE FOR CITIZEN ACTIVISTS-What you can do to prevent the reinstatement of the Assault Weapons Ban.
By Congressman Trent Franks (R-AZ)
Taken from Guns and Ammo, June 2009

Attorney General Eric Holder made headlines recently when he told reporters that the Obama Administration intended to deliver on its promise to reinstate the expired Semiautomatic Assault Weapons Ban. The seeming threat has created ripples of anticipatory anxiety among Second Amendment advocates throughout the country.

Many individual have voiced a sense of helplessness about what the ordinary citizen can do to effect change-and, specifically, to prevent a reinstatement of the unconstitutional Federal ban on the possession, transfer or domestic manufacture of Semiautomatic Assault Weapons.

Despite the traditional trend of a left leaning Democratic government to inhibit Second Amendment freedoms, the Democratic leaders in the House and Senate are not unified with the Obama Administration in their position on the Assault Weapons Ban. Both Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have stated in recent weeks that they will oppose reinstatement of the ban.

But political tension within party leadership confers no assurance that there will not be attempts, as General Holder suggested, to reinstate the unconstitutional Federal ban.

A time-tested theory, espoused succinctly by Margaret Thatcher, states that “first you win the argument; then you win the vote.” Any political victory is preceded by engaging in and winning the public debate. This requires that citizens calmly, credibly and persuasively work to educate others and thereby undo the ignorance that is most often at the root of differences in opinion over this and many other Second Amendment issues.

For instance, most people do not know that machine guns were effectively banned in the 1934 National Firearms Act, and that the Assault Weapons Ban prohibited semiautomatic firearms based on statutorily defined characteristics that were largely cosmetic (not mechanical) in nature. They know little, if anything, about current gun regulations, firearm safety or the status or effect of pending Federal legislation.

That being the case, the task of communicating the facts to your family, your community, and your elected leaders falls upon the shoulders of you, the citizen activist. Here are a few practical steps:

• Commit to educating yourself thoroughly on the issue first. You cannot be an effective advocate unless you yourself are equipped with knowledge about the issue and the opposing arguments.

• Write an op-ed or letter to the editor in your local and national papers. This is one of the best methods to raise public awareness about an issue.

• Start a blog on the topic and network with other Second Amendment bloggers. Set up a media tracker such as “google alerts” to monitor what the press and other bloggers are saying about this issue, and post that information on your blog to make it a resource for others who want to lean about the SAW or follow related news.

• Form a local working group with other citizens who want to advocate for your issue and are willing to commit to writing op-eds and letters to the editor in a collaborative manner.

• Start a petition. This is best done in coordination with your working group. Post the petition on your group’s website or blog, and then look for ways to drive traffic to the petition. This is a time-honored way of effecting political change, and it gives an “action item” to people who want to make their voice heard on the issue.

• Coordinate with your working group to take out an educational, informative ad in the local paper.

• Call your local (as well as national) talk radio shows. This has the potential of reaching thousands of listeners at a time.

• Make sure you are taking the time to call and write your Congressional Representatives in the United States House and Senate. Don’t underestimate the effect that a coordinated outreach from constituents can have on your elected Representatives.

• Lastly, don’t yield to discouragement. Patient persistence is perhaps the most potent tool in your arsenal as aspiring citizen activist.

While it can be tempting to believe that effecting tangible political change is impossible for the average citizen, nothing could be farther from the truth. As Samuel Adams stated, “It does not take a majority to prevail….but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.”

Rascal
05-04-2009, 7:20 PM
This deserves to be brought up to the top of the list.
That's right people, We can defeat this.

avdrummerboy
05-04-2009, 8:34 PM
This is great, Pelosi and Reid against it, maybe some do learn from a first time failure!!!

10fcp
05-04-2009, 8:45 PM
Pelosi and Ried are against it now and only now. Don't think for a second that they miraculously changed their evil ways. Things are looking good right now for us but I think the battle is in the begining stage. Great post.

evan69
05-04-2009, 8:48 PM
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi...oppose reinstatement of the ban.

Calling BS on that.

Vtec44
05-04-2009, 8:51 PM
The Democrats want to ban it, but will wait for the the "right" time to give them the political advantage. Now isn't the time, but when the "right" time comes they will not hesitate to do it. We need to prevent this "right" time from ever come into fruition.

1BigPea
05-04-2009, 8:51 PM
Pelosi isn't against it, she's just in bed with NoBama and waiting for the right time to try and push it through. :mad:

RomanDad
05-04-2009, 8:55 PM
Pelosi and Ried are against it now and only now. Don't think for a second that they miraculously changed their evil ways. Things are looking good right now for us but I think the battle is in the begining stage. Great post.

Reid has always been against it...

Pelosi is against it because she enjoys being speaker of the house.

natasha69
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
they are against it, but for the north american arms treaty which will try to be a sneaky way to pass it...

Sinixstar
05-04-2009, 11:58 PM
they are against it, but for the north american arms treaty which will try to be a sneaky way to pass it...

This is flat out wrong, and there are so many threads and posts on here discussing why it's wrong that i'm not even going to get into it.

Treaty < Constitution

yellowfin
05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
This is flat out wrong, and there are so many threads and posts on here discussing why it's wrong that i'm not even going to get into it.

Treaty < Constitution That's of course assuming they respect the Constitution in the first place, which if they did this wouldn't be a problem in the first place, would it? These people who like AWB's value a slip of paper from a fortune cookie or a dud lottery ticket above the Constitution. Going by what a treaty says is no problem for them whatsoever if the public will let them get away with it. Rights, what rights? :mad:

Sinixstar
05-05-2009, 12:21 AM
The Democrats want to ban it, but will wait for the the "right" time to give them the political advantage. Now isn't the time, but when the "right" time comes they will not hesitate to do it. We need to prevent this "right" time from ever come into fruition.

There's plenty of republicans that would like to see it happen to. Democrats may have had a majority in '94 - but the "Violent crime control and Law enforcement act of 1994"* passed with overwhelming majority.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h103-3355

The brady bill in '93 did not have enough democratic support to pass on it's own right. Democrats controlled the congress, but it passed as a result of enough republicans crossing party lines to make it happen.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h103-1025

If this were strictly a left/right issue, that would not be the case.

As for Reid and Pelosi specifically - remember, Reid is from NV. Everybody owns guns here. OC is legal, and people don't bat an eyelash if you're walking around armed to the teeth. Filled gun racks in pickup trucks, while rare, does happen. Go outside of town into the BLM land, and finding casings is not uncommon. Reid might back things like background checks, or taking guns from the insane or criminals, but banning otherwise upstanding citizens from owning guns would get him run out of the state - and he knows it.
Never mind that i've met the guy, spoken with him, and it's frankly just not a priority.

Pelosi - I think if she felt that not only the political cover is there - but it would be politically beneficial to push an AWB through - she would do it. At that point, if it's politically beneficial to push an AWB - you're going to see near unanimous support. Remember the one thing politicians like more then pushing their pet causes, is being politicians. That's just the nature of the game. Very few people have the courage to stand up and take action that they know will land them out of a job. Frankly, I think the majority of politicians don't *really* care one way or the other, it's a political "which way is the wind blowing" issue.

This is why the original AWB made it through. The social climate at the time was one that favored an AWB, not just the political climate. Gang culture and pop culture were one and the same. You literally had rappers talking about mowing people down in the streets with AKs - and this was mainstream pop culture. Gang violence was hugely out of control, and a good number of people saw it as a legitimate threat to polite society. This was the climate that allowed the AWB to get through in the first place, and even still once it happened people said 'eh wait, i'm not sure i'm too comfortable with this' and there was a political backlash as a result.

Jump forward to today - and none of the prevailing social conditions that existed in the early 90s to set the stage for the first AWB exist today. Violent crime is down from 15 years ago, gang activity is down from 15 years ago, and pop culture is no longer saturated with gang violence and imagery. Never mind that people still remember the effects of the first AWB, and are still uncomfortable about the thoughts of a repeat (as evidenced by the panic buying and hoarding that's reported even by the 'left wing' media).

Given that context, and given the recent court rulings in Heller and Nordyke, and you're going to be hard pressed to find a real movement within the congress to push an anti-gun agenda. You're still going to have your fringe element like McCarthy - but by and large, that's why she's the fringe, and not party leadership. Party leadership doesn't get to where they are by being stupid and blind to these circumstance.

Sinixstar
05-05-2009, 12:22 AM
That's of course assuming they respect the Constitution in the first place, which if they did this wouldn't be a problem in the first place, would it? These people who like AWB's value a slip of paper from a fortune cookie or a dud lottery ticket above the Constitution. Going by what a treaty says is no problem for them whatsoever if the public will let them get away with it. Rights, what rights? :mad:

I guess all i can say to that is you better stockpile more ammo, because the black choppers are coming.

Kid Stanislaus
05-05-2009, 10:19 AM
This is flat out wrong, and there are so many threads and posts on here discussing why it's wrong that i'm not even going to get into it. Treaty < Constitution

Are you foolish enough to believe the Democraps are going to let a silly little thing like the US Constitution get in the way of a treaty that would ban guns?:eek:

Roadrunner
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
:gunsmilie::patriot::44::38:

I'm just sitting here wondering where the next concord bridge will be.

bohoki
05-05-2009, 11:03 AM
first thing try to define an assault weapon without banning an autoloader with a pistolgrip

Gator Monroe
05-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Get Dr. Michael Savage to disavow any rantings & stories on his Website about AW's not being for "normal folks" and have him reafirm & regain his spot as the most ardant 2A supporter in the media !

bluthandwerk
05-05-2009, 6:35 PM
I have to say I'm impressed with this congressman, kinda wish I could vote for him.

It's nice to see a pro-2A argument with no hand-wringing, FUD, or baseless speculation, just logic and a reasonable proposition. :thumbsup:

Sinixstar
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Are you foolish enough to believe the Democraps are going to let a silly little thing like the US Constitution get in the way of a treaty that would ban guns?:eek:

If you want to discuss politics - that's fine, but be respectful about it. As a DEMOCRAT - I don't appreciate the innuendo.

If i start running around talking about right wing nutjobs - you all have a heart attack and I damn near get banned. It goes both ways.