PDA

View Full Version : Street Sweeper Shotgun Question

ChuckBooty
05-03-2009, 8:57 AM
One of the guys in my unit tells me that he owns a Street Sweeper. He says it's been in storage for years back in his home state (Utah). He never registered it as a destructive device or whatever...but now wants to sell it to a his buddy in Arizona.

I told him that I don't think he CAN sell a "paperless" Street Sweeper legally but told him that I'd ask around and try to get some advice for him.

So...advice?

CSACANNONEER
05-03-2009, 9:25 AM
"Hi, I'm (I mean, my "friend") is admitting to breaking federal laws and if I'm found out, I will do hard time in Federal prision. Can someone please tell me how I can commit several more federal crimes (illegally transfering a DD, illegally transporting a DD across state lines, etc.)"

My advise is to delete this thread and contact an attorney who is well versed in federal firearms laws and the NFA of 1934.

yellowfin
05-03-2009, 10:12 AM
They weren't always DD's. I forget exactly when they were enumerated as such, but it wasn't right off the bat.

ChuckBooty
05-03-2009, 10:28 AM
"Hi, I'm (I mean, my "friend") is admitting to breaking federal laws and if I'm found out, I will do hard time in Federal prision. Can someone please tell me how I can commit several more federal crimes (illegally transfering a DD, illegally transporting a DD across state lines, etc.)"

My advise is to delete this thread and contact an attorney who is well versed in federal firearms laws and the NFA of 1934.

LOL. It's honestly not me. I'm not even old enough to have had one "forever". I think I was NINE when they banned these things.

EDIT: OK...I was fourteen, not nine.

CHS
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
They weren't always DD's. I forget exactly when they were enumerated as such, but it wasn't right off the bat.

Doesn't matter. They are now. All of them. There are only two kinds of streetsweepers out there:

- Legal and transferable, NFA-registered DD's
- Illegal and non-transferable unregistered DD's.

AJAX22
05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
There are a few streetsweepers which are not DD's

The LHC that PRKarms has up for sale is made by STREET SWEEPER inc. but it was never determined to be a DD because of the .45 rifled bore

ALL 12 gauge street sweeper shotguns however are DD's....

not everyone knows that they were supposed to register their gun.... which is why you keep seeing 'parrts kits' for them show up with the receiver torch cut.

ke6guj
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
IIRC, he can remove the barrel and sell the rest of the gun as a regular Title I firearm. Then, after the new buyer owns it, he could file a Form 1 to make a DD. After approval, he could purchase a new barrel and build it up. One interesting item about the DD registration is that there is no barrel length restictions on it. Assuming that state law allows for it, he could cut that barrel down to less than 18" and federally, it wouldn't be considered an SBS.