PDA

View Full Version : Tourists shooting inCalifornia

mped
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi does anyone know the best place tourists can hire and shoot various firearms in California? Am serving military and am visiting from the UK. Thanks

chrisdesoup
05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
CA is a big state.... what area are you going to be in?

battleship
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM
If your in the Bay Area i would be willing to let you shoot some of my guns, besides you will need to have another person with you if you are renting a gun, its the policey here, to insure that you have another responsible person with you incase something bad was to happen. i.e. you were thinking about topping yourself.

mped
05-03-2009, 1:45 AM
Am travelling from all the way down California so anywhere is good. Travelling with my wife so hopefully that covers the extra person thing. We dont get much of a chance in the UK to do this type of thing so promised myself I would when we head stateside. Appreciate the help guys

Nullzero
05-03-2009, 2:00 AM
There are places all the way down the state near any major metro area. Just select an area and ask on the forums what a good indoor range is in that area and what the policies are. I am sure some calgunners would not mind meeting up with you at a range and shooting off some rounds.

battleship
05-03-2009, 2:09 AM
Well the best place in the Bay area to do this would be Bullseye in Marin county they have a wide range of guns to shoot, just know that you will have to purchase there own bullets and so the price will be on the high side for ammo, probably $4 more on what you would pay for at walmart per box. Still if this is a one time thing you will have a blast.

Also if your venturing east to vegas on what i assume is a vacation you might want to try full Auto at one of the many ranges in and around Las Vegas.

cdtx2001
05-03-2009, 5:51 AM
I'll take you out shooting on some open land if no range will take you. Perfectly legal and safe. Send me a private message for details. I go plinking near the Vacaville dump. If some other Calgunners want to meet up also, or make a shooting day out of this, send me a PM.

Too Slow
05-03-2009, 7:15 AM
We have an indoor range in Oxnard where you can rent handguns and rifles. Shooters Paradise is the name. If you are interested, I'm a member and can get you a discount. Send pm if applicable.

kermit315
05-03-2009, 8:41 PM
also, if you go to shooters, and it is after I get off of work, I will bring some of my guns along so you can shoot different stuff without having to rent it. All you have to cover is the ammo you use.

Turbinator
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi does anyone know the best place tourists can hire and shoot various firearms in California? Am serving military and am visiting from the UK. Thanks

Whereabouts in the UK are you from?

Turby

boxbro
05-06-2009, 9:52 AM
If you are coming near Los Angeles http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/

nagorb
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Looks like you wont need to rent any guns:)

I think this calls for a calguns shoot!

I'm in the San Francisco area and would be more than willing to meet at one of the nearby ranges for a day of fun.

wikidklown
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Whoa, I thought some tourists got shot in kali...

wilson_wwsc
05-07-2009, 2:32 AM

same here. :eek:

ChuckBooty
05-07-2009, 5:43 AM
I thought that some tourists were SHOOTING Californians...lol

ZombieKiller
05-07-2009, 7:29 AM
Hit me up if you come down to San Diego.....there's a place down here that has a lot of tourists come through...

glock_this
05-07-2009, 7:30 AM

+1.. this thread is not about what I was expecting

sltgunner
05-07-2009, 7:34 AM
drop me a PM. I know of a good spot in NV where we could shoot for free :thumbsup:

How about a group shoot of Calgunners around here with our new found friends from across the pond?

I can provide some toys. We might have to hunt down some ammo though....

sltgunner

paul0660
05-07-2009, 7:39 AM
I took a Welsh kid up to Cow Mountain a few years ago. It was the usual wild scene. As soon as the rest of the guys there heard his accent, he had a dozen guns to try out. Fortunately we had a camera, or he said his mates would never believe him.

gose
05-07-2009, 8:22 AM
Quite a few ranges stopped renting firearms to tourists, since a non-resident foreigner in possession of a firearm seems to be a federal offense (unless they fall under a few exemptions).
A felon isn't allowed to rent, or even shoot, a firearm, because they aren't allowed to possess a firearm. A tourist isn't allowed to possess one either, so I don't see how the possession situation would be much different.

edit: I called ATF and the phone drone confirmed (FWIW) that it is indeed illegal for a non permanent resident foreigner to rent a firearm at a shooting range, unless that person has a valid hunting license. They were going to check if it was ok to lend a firearm to a foreigner, if you (the owner) stay in their vicinity.
edit2: They just called back. Utterly useless. The local ATF office seems to hire from the same pool as DOJ.

From ATF:
(R33) I'm a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day - can I rent a firearm there as well?

As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does NOT have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.

scc1909
05-07-2009, 7:42 PM

I'm retired USAF and we used to have RAF exchange officers in our Squadron at Travis AFB outside San Francisco...are you one of those? If you are, let's link up by PM and I can get you in touch with Senior Management at Travis to facilitate *ahem* ... "qualifying" with the 9mm and the M-16.

If not, take up one or more of the many kind offers here in this forum to experience what we take for granted...the right to keep and bear arms. It's just an eff'ing shame that Her Majesty's military men have to travel abroad to exercise one of the basic skills of any soldier.