PDA

View Full Version : do you give warnings to speeders?

RANDO
05-02-2009, 7:39 PM
I was going to make this a poll but dont know how. So do you leos here give warnings for speeding? Does it matter if shes super hot or if their in the military? Last week I got a warning thanks to my military ID and it made me curious. Thanks for your service.

Jonathan Doe
05-02-2009, 8:38 PM
I didn't write tickets much....If the driver admits the violation and had a reasonable explanation, I usually let the driver go.

cope113
05-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I know a deputy who gives warnings if the person is honest and has a valid license.

BigDogatPlay
05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
If they had a reasonable explanation, and nothing turned up on the DL and warrant check... yeah, a warning.

desmark6
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Usually a warning, more than likely I am using it as PC just to look for something better anyways. We have a traffic section to do all the citations.

jafount
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
9 of 10 got a warning as long as there is some acknowledgment on their part they were doing what I stopped them for.

gunrun45
05-03-2009, 5:31 PM
Yeah, I wasn't big on writing ticket...
Department upper ups though leaned on us hard in the way of "performance expectations"...

I still wrote maybe 1 in 5 people I pulled over as long as they passed the attitude test ;)
I worked with a guy who wrote EVERYONE, and I do mean EVERYONE... He even wrote a speeding ticket to his own mother. Cold SOB if you ask me. The public hated him in general and his attitude landed him in plenty of fights. Lets just say that HE didn't pass the attitude test. Admin solved the issue though, they made him an FTO...

Larker
05-04-2009, 9:39 AM
Depends on a lot... How fast they're going in relation to where they are. I don't tolerate speeding in neighborhoods, parking lots, or little kid infested areas in general, unless they have a really good excuse. Their honesty, attitude, priors, etc. help me make my decision ultimately.

All the tickets I write go to a soldier's CO, or if they're civilian, their supervisor, to figure out what an appropriate punishment is anyway, so not many of our tickets actually do anything.

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-04-2009, 9:56 AM
Where are the cops like this in the central valley I have never gotten a warning for anything and I' am always very respectful and honest with the police

sorensen440
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Where are the cops like this in the central valley I have never gotten a warning for anything and I' am always very respectful and honest with the police
Hows your attitude when you get pulled over ?

nick
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Hows your attitude when you get pulled over ?

Dammit dammit dammit!!!! Why the hell did this bastard stop me??? Oh, hi officer. What seems to be the problem? How can I help you? :)

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
very polite and friendly I have never questioned why they stopped me or anything I have always admitted to speeding if I was but to no avail I still get the ticket. I want to be a cop so why would I get an attitude they are just doing their job. Heck when I go through DUI check points I even take the time to thank the officers for what they are doing and tell them that they are greatly appreciated

solanoshooter
05-20-2009, 3:56 PM
I'm not big on writing tickets. I stop anywhere between 50 - 75 cars a month and maybe write 10 tickets. And probably only 5 of those are moving violations. I'm not going to write you a ticket unless you do something really stupid in front of me or tell me you have known about your tail light for months and have been too lazy to do anything about it.

But I'm not traffic. If a traffic cop pulls you over, you're more than likely getting the cite.

Jwood562
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
honestly I am very nice to peiople I stop and if you are honest and every day "joe/citizen" and are honest I will not write you a ticket.

if you are a gangster or dirtbag you will get a ticket or if you have an attitude you will talk your self into a ticket.

military guys never get a ticket from me. for one they are always honest and polite and two, I thank them for their service and walk away.

I only stop cars for two reasons. I already know I want to stop you and find a reason to get inside yor car or... you did something completely stupid in front of me... the second usually get the warnings

trendar5
05-21-2009, 8:54 AM
I would have to slow down way too much before I could even get in behind a speeder without passing right by them.....

PatriotnMore
05-21-2009, 9:01 AM
Here is a question for you in line with this thread. Of those you give a warning, vice ticket, what percentage are women? Honesty please.

eltee
05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I warn them that if they don't sign the ticket they get arrested on the spot and their car gets towed, searched and impounded. :rolleyes:

Actually, discretionary decision making is one of the joys of police work. I give lots of warnings based on circumstances, but likewise I write alot of cites based on circumstances inc. the attitude of the driver, the nature of the improper driving, potential danger and where I am on my weekly quota chart (just kidding).

I have given breaks to active military visiting town, I have given breaks to aged veterans, I have given breaks to carloads of giggly girls in prom dresses. It all depends.

eltee
05-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Here is a question for you in line with this thread. Of those you give a warning, vice ticket, what percentage are women? Honesty please.

The legendary hot girl with the lowcut mini flashing a come hither smile and feigned romantic interest in the officer is the stuff bad movies are made of. Any cop with 20 minutes or more on the job will see through this...most of the time.

Now, I once had a lesbian partner and she was prone to ... :cool2:

Really, A hottie with an attitude will get a ticket as quickly as sasquatch. It's mainly attitude and the reason for the stop. Most cops have heard the horror stories of giving in to a pretty girl's come on. Most of the stories do not have a happy ending.

So, I probably let off 1/3 of the people I'd stop, but that's because I didn't work traffic so if I had to take the time to stop you it was for a pretty good reason. Do you consider mechanical violations (fixit tickets) a "warning" for this informal survey? Alot of times a person will be stopped for a mover, but will only get a fixit ticket for some mechanical violation instead of getting cited for the driving violation. That, to me, is a win-win. The stop is made, driver checked out, no moving violation (driver happy), a fixit ticket issued (my stats get a point on the quota chart towards that color TV prize), etc.

caoboy
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I have a question on a ticket I received a long time ago....

I was on my way to LA with 2 friends (each of us driving our own cars) and we were doing 70-75 (limit was 65) when we passed a CHP radar gunning people (it's 3am by the way, with almost nobody on the road)

I was the last of the 3 cars driving, and was sure I'd be pulled over, as the CHP flipped the lights and flew onto the roadway, but he passed me. He then passes my friend, who had been the 'leader' and had slowed down when he saw the CHP and ended up being in the middle. The guy who was in the middle, was pulled over. Being that we were traveling together, by ourselves, at 3am, we didn't want to lose one another, so when my friend pulled over, we pulled off the roadway as well, probably 100ft behind the CHP.

As my friend was written a ticket, on a completely stock car, for doing 85 and having modified exhaust, by the first officer, the second officer walked up to our cars and told us to move forward. We asked why, he just said "MOVE FORWARD!" so we did.

He walked back to us, handed us each a ticket, which said we were doing 85mph in a 65, and had modified exhausts. He never told us anything, except the court date was such and such, sign here, have a nice day.

My question is, was it legal for him to write us a ticket, since he technically didn't pull us over?

When it came court time, since we though it was BS that we were written tickets, we went to go fight it.

The perp who was pulled over originally, fought the ticket, brought original brochures, pictures of his car, and stated his case that he was following the other car, and had his cruise control set at 70 mph.

The judge felt he did a good job in stating his case, and would have dropped the fix it ticket had he brought his car (we car pooled in a different car.)
He lowered the fine from 160ish to 45 dollars, for putting up a good fight.

For the second ticket, which was to be fought, the officer didn't show up. My friend, who didn't know that he could have the ticket thrown out in court because of this, offered to postpone so the officer could show up, and lost his case and had to pay his fines.

My ticket, had shown up in the wrong court room, at the wrong time, so neither the officer or I had shown up and the ticket was thrown out.

Also, should he have just warned us not to pull off the roadway if that were to happen?

I was told by a former officer, that if it were to happen again, to just pull off at the next exit and wait for the friend.

fullrearview
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
depends on attitude... attitude and where the violation takes place. Is it an area where kids are always around?Do people habitually drive 15-25 over in that area?

That being said warning most of the time.

Ron-Solo
05-21-2009, 2:20 PM
I warn them that if they don't sign the ticket they get arrested on the spot and their car gets towed, searched and impounded. :rolleyes:

Actually, discretionary decision making is one of the joys of police work. I give lots of warnings based on circumstances, but likewise I write alot of cites based on circumstances inc. the attitude of the driver, the nature of the improper driving, potential danger and where I am on my weekly quota chart (just kidding).

I have given breaks to active military visiting town, I have given breaks to aged veterans, I have given breaks to carloads of giggly girls in prom dresses. It all depends.

About sums it up!:43:

Ron-Solo
05-21-2009, 2:27 PM
I have a question on a ticket I received a long time ago....

I was on my way to LA with 2 friends (each of us driving our own cars) and we were doing 70-75 (limit was 65) when we passed a CHP radar gunning people (it's 3am by the way, with almost nobody on the road)

I was the last of the 3 cars driving, and was sure I'd be pulled over, as the CHP flipped the lights and flew onto the roadway, but he passed me. He then passes my friend, who had been the 'leader' and had slowed down when he saw the CHP and ended up being in the middle. The guy who was in the middle, was pulled over. Being that we were traveling together, by ourselves, at 3am, we didn't want to lose one another, so when my friend pulled over, we pulled off the roadway as well, probably 100ft behind the CHP.

Stopping like that probably made them nervous, since they didn't know if you were waiting to ambush them, etc. Don't do that, for everyone's peace of mind.

As my friend was written a ticket, on a completely stock car, for doing 85 and having modified exhaust, by the first officer, the second officer walked up to our cars and told us to move forward. We asked why, he just said "MOVE FORWARD!" so we did.

He walked back to us, handed us each a ticket, which said we were doing 85mph in a 65, and had modified exhausts. He never told us anything, except the court date was such and such, sign here, have a nice day.

My question is, was it legal for him to write us a ticket, since he technically didn't pull us over?

Yes

When it came court time, since we though it was BS that we were written tickets, we went to go fight it.

The perp who was pulled over originally, fought the ticket, brought original brochures, pictures of his car, and stated his case that he was following the other car, and had his cruise control set at 70 mph.

The judge felt he did a good job in stating his case, and would have dropped the fix it ticket had he brought his car (we car pooled in a different car.)
He lowered the fine from 160ish to 45 dollars, for putting up a good fight.

Happens a lot. "A" for effort and such. We understand - It isn't personal

For the second ticket, which was to be fought, the officer didn't show up. My friend, who didn't know that he could have the ticket thrown out in court because of this, offered to postpone so the officer could show up, and lost his case and had to pay his fines.

Usually they just throw it out. Officer must have requested a continuance for a legit reason. Usually if you object enough, they still throw it out.

My ticket, had shown up in the wrong court room, at the wrong time, so neither the officer or I had shown up and the ticket was thrown out.

Happens sometimes.

Also, should he have just warned us not to pull off the roadway if that were to happen?

He could, but doesn't have to. I usually try to explain it.

I was told by a former officer, that if it were to happen again, to just pull off at the next exit and wait for the friend.

Good advice.

Drive Safe.

Triad
05-21-2009, 3:29 PM
As a Deputy, I would say 1 in 10 will recieve a ticket. I don't really do a lot of traffic and by and large our department neither encourages or discourages writing tickets but if a violation is blatant and a ticket needs to be written, I will.