PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO CHANGE YOUR *WTS* THREAD TO *SOLD*

D.M.C.
05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
There seems to be way too many folks out there who just don't know how to change their marketplace thread titles. So in an effort to help get rid of future dead posts floating around, I am making this thread and asking the Mods to Sticky it please so folks have a tutorial on how to add the *SOLD* or *SPF* tags to their marketplace threads.

Step 1. Post a new thread. Title it whatever you want, WTS, WTT, whatever gets the message across. Don't forget to post your PRICE and LOCATION as per the marketplace rules.

Step 2. Find your buyer. Make whatever deal you're satisfied with. Once you've got a deal and finalized the transaction, go on the Step 3.

Step 3. Go to your marketplace thread. Open it up and look for the EDIT button. See the image below. Click the EDIT button and proceed to Step 4.

Step 4. Your thread should now be open and editable. This may seem confusing at first, because the Title Bar is not editable at this time. You need to look down at the bottom right hand section of the page and find the GO ADVANCED button, and click on it. An example is presented below in the image. Proceed to Step 5.

Step 5. Now you should be able to see a fully editable thread page. Refer to the image below for what should appear on your screen. Go ahead and edit your thread title bar, adding whatever tag is appropriate ( *SOLD*, *SPF, etc). The "reason for editing" text bar isn't necessary, but helps reiterate whatever needs to be stated for those who may have glossed over the title bar. Once you're done, just click on "Save Changes" and you are finished!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6636/tutorial.jpg

I hope that helps anyone who wasn't familiar with the forum interface, so that now you know how to edit and properly label your marketplace threads. :-)

LivingHigh09
05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Wonderful Presentation! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

joe_lafrieda
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
What was the selling price of the 40W RBS-80?

bd457
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
great post, but I'd like to add one thing:

When editing your post as ****SOLD****, please leave the entire contents and the title for reference. Nothing is more annoying (except my x-wife) than looking for the thread you made a deal on and it's gone.

IE:

before sold title: FS/FT Colt Gold Cup $19.99 San Diego

After sold title: **SPF SPF** Colt Gold Cup $19.99 San Diego **SPF SPF**

foxtrotuniformlima
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
:thumbsup: Perfect! Perhaps if people follow this we will not have the parade of FS stuff bumped just to say sold

jonni
05-02-2009, 11:37 AM
this should be put as a sticky

MILLITIAof1
05-02-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree with leaving the price for reference purposes.
Great write up!

Guns R Tools
05-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Perhaps different folder/directory for sold items?

darkest2000
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
And for pete's sake do not BUMP a thread just to say it's sold.

steelrain1
05-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Nice overview, it might help with thread browsing

caldude
05-02-2009, 5:07 PM
+1 on making this a sticky

chrisdesoup
05-02-2009, 6:23 PM

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

gunboat
05-02-2009, 6:44 PM
Thanks a ton -- I wondered how that was done -- I hope more people do edit their sold items - most annoying to have to read three pages to find out the item is sold :-)

ELEVENTH HOUR
05-02-2009, 6:51 PM
Outstanding! +1 on the stickie...:thumbsup:

icormba
05-02-2009, 7:03 PM
This is a great write up, BUT this only changes your title when the actual thread is opened, right?

I made this change to a sales thread I created a while back, sold the item but then added a M1 Garand.
I changed the title to:
WTS C&R rifles: Garand, M1 carbine, Russian 91/30 PU Sniper, M44

However when you look through the Private Firearms Sales forum you can only see the original title:
WTS C&R rifles: Russian 91/30 PU Sniper, M44, & K98/M48 Mauser

jlh95811
05-02-2009, 7:07 PM
This way is easier:

When viewing all thread double click at the right end of your thread's title. You will then be able to edit the title.

This only works on the actual forum's thread list page. Not in your list of subscribed threads.

steelrain1
05-02-2009, 7:11 PM
Free bump when you get a chance

05-02-2009, 7:26 PM
I hate to say it, but this was a needed post and should be a sticky.

martialcomp
05-02-2009, 7:49 PM
I completely agree that the price and description should be left in place.

I think it is ridiculous to remove the price from an ad right after it is sold.

I recently noticed a S&W 357 mag that sold before I could even see the pictures or the ad. The price was removed the same day!

I can't even describe my anger over this...

It is my opinion that the Private Firearms Sales thread is here for Californians to sell items to each other and keep a firearm in California. In other words, Californians helping other Californians.

Taking the price out of the ad leaves an opening for the buyer to sell the same item for more money right after he bought it. IMHO, this is not the intention of this forum. In other words, we become victims of gun flippers that think that a gun is a might mo-mo momentum stock like Cisco or Intel.

Gun flippers need to go to Gunbroker where they can sell their item to the highest bidder.

darkest2000
05-02-2009, 8:28 PM
I completely agree that the price and description should be left in place.

I think it is ridiculous to remove the price from an ad right after it is sold.

I recently noticed a S&W 357 mag that sold before I could even see the pictures or the ad. The price was removed the same day!

I can't even describe my anger over this...

It is my opinion that the Private Firearms Sales thread is here for Californians to sell items to each other and keep a firearm in California. In other words, Californians helping other Californians.

Taking the price out of the ad leaves an opening for the buyer to sell the same item for more money right after he bought it. IMHO, this is not the intention of this forum. In other words, we become victims of gun flippers that think that a gun is a might mo-mo momentum stock like Cisco or Intel.

Gun flippers need to go to Gunbroker where they can sell their item to the highest bidder.

I don't think I necessarily agree with what you said. If the gun is sold and you're not involved in the transaction, then it really doesn't concern you. I mean, what do you need the "reference" for?

Once the item has been sold, the firearm now has a new owner and he will be the one to decide whether he wants the picture and price of his new gun posted all over the internet. It's common courtesy for the seller to remove those info IMO.

Removing the price and description is also good for the seller because it keeps people from seeing the same gun and inquiring to seller about it, wasting everyone's time.

Lastly it also protects the buyer from others possibly attempting to talk the seller into backing out of the deal by offering to pay a higher price.

In the end there are pros and cons of keeping and removing those info, I think it should be up to the parties involved instead of making a rule.

Just my $.02

recshooter
05-02-2009, 8:34 PM
For the most part, I agree w/ Darkest2000.

No rule is needed, it is strictly between the buyer and seller.

That being said, unless asked by the other party, I just leave past ads as they were, w/o any post-transaction-editing, save adding "sold/SPF."

PORCH
05-02-2009, 8:44 PM
I'll second the opinion, that at the very least the price of the firearm should not be removed. I really like to see what the going rate is on certain firearms. Just my .02

tonelar
05-02-2009, 8:57 PM
ok
I've tried on older ads of mine and it didn't seem to work. I haven't cleared my browser cache... But doubt that's the answer.

I go in through advanced and change the thread title, but when I look at it from the forum view, its still the old title.

darkest2000
05-02-2009, 9:10 PM
I'll second the opinion, that at the very least the price of the firearm should not be removed. I really like to see what the going rate is on certain firearms. Just my .02

So you think it's the seller's responsibility to keep the price info up so YOU, a non-involved party, can keep track of the going price on certain items? Seriously?

05-02-2009, 9:31 PM
If they want to leave the price up or take it down, I feel it is the sellers choice. But.... Please change the title to say it SOLD!

r0ckingc0wb0y
05-02-2009, 9:59 PM
This is a Good Idea, but we cannot tell everyone not to do a bump whenever the item is SOLD. I know it also depend on the MODERATORS on how they clear this thing up or saved on a DB for reference. Procedure on the other hand should be put on sticky c/o by our good Head Janitor. If they could only create another folder for SOLD Items which OP could only move his own thread from still available to SOLD, then not only the BUMP would stop it will also make some space for the new coming threads. Anyway, this is just a comment.

BB63Squid
05-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Kestryll...

This so needs to be "stickied" or at a minimum incorporated into a F/S etiquette post.

CALI-gula
05-03-2009, 1:56 AM
Nope - your advisory is limited. This very basic editing instruction you posted, which I believe was merely because you are frustrated with those who do not change their main thread title, does not apply for older threads.

I am not sure of the cut-off span of time, but at some point, the title of the thread no longer allows for edit even when "going advanced". I'm not sure if it's 30 days, or 45 days, 60 days, etc., but this has been something I've asked about and simply dealt with since signing on way back when.

Just the other day I tried changing the main title to indicate a price-drop on all of the guns I was selling. I revised the title and deleted portions to make it work within the title field; I also made changes to the ad; it allowed me to edit, but did not save the title change.

In the past, for some changes, I even requested a mod change it.

CALI-gula
05-03-2009, 1:57 AM
Kestryll...

This so needs to be "stickied" or at a minimum incorporated into a F/S etiquette post.

But see my post above - that would be fine if it always worked - but as time passes, the title field is not editable. Not sure why, but it's been that way for a while, even when "going advanced".

martialcomp
05-03-2009, 6:26 AM
I don't think I necessarily agree with what you said. If the gun is sold and you're not involved in the transaction, then it really doesn't concern you. I mean, what do you need the "reference" for?

Once the item has been sold, the firearm now has a new owner and he will be the one to decide whether he wants the picture and price of his new gun posted all over the internet. It's common courtesy for the seller to remove those info IMO.

Removing the price and description is also good for the seller because it keeps people from seeing the same gun and inquiring to seller about it, wasting everyone's time.

Lastly it also protects the buyer from others possibly attempting to talk the seller into backing out of the deal by offering to pay a higher price.

In the end there are pros and cons of keeping and removing those info, I think it should be up to the parties involved instead of making a rule.

Just my $.02

My take is this...on Gunbroker, the price, description and pictures are there for 60 days. I verified that this morning. I was able to look up a Smith and Wesson 5906 TSW sold on March 4th. Even GunsAmerica has the data from the sale available long after it is sold.

In the situation I mentioned, the price and pictures were pulled the same day and in fact, within a few hours. I think that is totally ridiculous.

smokinskul
05-03-2009, 7:01 AM
Great information!

Now how about a tutorial on how to read an entire post BEFORE sending a PM?I cannot tell you how many times I sell an item, update the title, post a "sold to" edit in the description, and then get somebody asking if I will take a lower price or ship it to their location!

Frustrating!

6172crew
05-03-2009, 9:01 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but if it wasn't clear, you must double click "next to" the title to edit, as if you want to open the thread. Don't click on it, click next to it..in the same box.

Schaba
05-03-2009, 9:02 AM
Very helpful.

jlh95811
05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but if it wasn't clear, you must double click "next to" the title to edit, as if you want to open the thread. Don't click on it, click next to it..in the same box.

ECHO

But yeah. This way is easier.

Rukus
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
ok
I've tried on older ads of mine and it didn't seem to work. I haven't cleared my browser cache... But doubt that's the answer.

I go in through advanced and change the thread title, but when I look at it from the forum view, its still the old title.

Yeah I get the same problem, it only changed the title within the thread, once its opened.

ImOverHere
05-03-2009, 6:53 PM

Just my $.02

I absolutely agree.

One, The seller owes nothing to those who come after the sale - whatever transpired was strictly between the buyer and seller.

Two, of what consequence is the info. in the seller's thread for anyone else if the new owner then decides to list again whatever it was he bought? That, too, is now between the seller and prospective buyer.

And since firearm and ammo prices are pretty volatile - esp. now - such info. as contained in the original thread is practically useless.

Shane916
05-03-2009, 8:16 PM
How is thing thing not stickied yet!! :)

Excellent info for the new and infrequent CalGunners.

drummerchris
05-03-2009, 8:23 PM
New Forehead Stickies available... HERE!:hurray:

icormba
05-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Does anyone actually read what other people post?
This does NOT always work!

bd457
05-04-2009, 6:29 AM

Once the item has been sold, the firearm now has a new owner and he will be the one to decide whether he wants the picture and price of his new gun posted all over the Internet. It's common courtesy for the seller to remove those info IMO.

Removing the price and description is also good for the seller because it keeps people from seeing the same gun and inquiring to seller about it, wasting everyones time.

Just my $.02

My reasons are:

1) I have bought an item from someone and when it arrived, it did not include all that was listed in the thread. When going back to find the proof, the seller had deleted it entirely. Deleting a thread covers the tracks.

2) (I know this is totally up to the seller, but...) I have been the first "I'll take it" and received a PM from the seller that "It's yours", but then the seller deletes the post and sells to another.

Leaving the original post leaves a paper trail (for lack of a better description)

If you think you need to have the post deleted so that your new gun is now "Private", I ask why? If it's serial numbers, well that shouldn't be posted in the thread anyway. If it's to retain privacy over how much you paid, it wasn't private to begin with AND nobody knows anyway. Most if not all deals are completed by PM.

If you as a buyer want to remain private, complete the entire deal via PM and don't even post in the thread.

If you MUST delete a thread that's had a sale, maybe it should not be done until BOTH parties have left feedback.

MY 2 cents

D.M.C.
05-04-2009, 5:47 PM
My thanks for the attention this thread has gotten and the positive ratings given. It makes me happy that people found it useful and helpful. I would like to ask that it not stray off topic if possible, because I'd like to keep it for consideration as a Sticky if the Mods are willing, and I don't want to confuse any one who finds this thread after the fact. Anyhow, thanks again for the nice comments! :-)

pTa
05-04-2009, 6:28 PM
this work in other forumsxas well?

D.M.C.
05-06-2009, 2:16 PM
So far as I know, the process is the same. :-)

duraglock
07-14-2009, 6:43 PM
I cant change the main thread title on a merged thread. Any one have any other ideas. Have sent the mods some pms to see if they could do it.

ELEVENTH HOUR
07-14-2009, 6:50 PM
Great overview!

Brutish
07-14-2009, 6:56 PM

+1 It is pure stupidity to bump your thread to the top and gain it extra attention just to say it is sold. Some people have too much empty space between their ears.

soulska
07-14-2009, 7:19 PM
how is this not a sticky??????

IsaacGlass
07-15-2009, 9:58 AM
Would be nice if OP can add a general location as well.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info! There are a lot of new rookies who needed the help.

Rick68
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
DESERVING of another bump

WallyGeorge
07-15-2009, 4:25 PM
Does anyone actually read what other people post?
This does NOT always work!

Yep, does appear if few have read that this doesnt always work, especially with older threads. Kinda getting tired of reading five pages of "Thanks" and "This should be a sticky", with no disrespect meant to the original poster.

sig4ever
07-15-2009, 8:15 PM
I cant't believe this isn't a sticky yet! Good job!

stillwater562
09-23-2009, 11:08 PM
this is working right now! anybodyelse having problems changing there thread title?

Z ME FLY
09-23-2009, 11:19 PM
No I haven't had any problems. You can edit your first post in the thread and go advance to change the title or when you are viewing the fs forum and you see your thread. Don't click on it but double click the space after the words and you can edit it.

Joe
09-24-2009, 2:28 AM
Something prohibits the changing of the titles. I have the same problem. I don't know if it has to do with how old the thread is or maybe how many times its been edited. But many people have complained that the thread title does not change after going through the process of changing it.

stillwater562
09-24-2009, 3:12 AM
yes, and since you can only have one thread you have to be able to change (edit) your title as many times as you need to, so there shouldn't be a limit I wouldn't think.

JaMail
09-24-2009, 5:47 AM
bump, cant we ask the mod's to lock threads that are already sold? any time a zombie thread pops up, we bump it til its locked?

kduly
09-24-2009, 5:53 AM
this is working right now! anybody else having problems changing there thread title?

I am! :confused:

JaMail
09-24-2009, 5:56 AM
i just changed one of my title posts no problem.

zman
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Something prohibits the changing of the titles. I have the same problem. I don't know if it has to do with how old the thread is or maybe how many times its been edited. But many people have complained that the thread title does not change after going through the process of changing it.

+1 and my thread is basically new :confused:

Joe
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
JaMail. Change your title again today. It can even be a one letter change. Then try to do it again in a few days and let us know what happens.

boxbro
09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
I was able to change my for sale thread title once, and then when it sold I went to change it to SPF and it wouldn't let me do it.

tempdrummer
09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Trying to sell items but my thread title won't change.

Go to advaced. Change title. but all that happens is the subtitle changes and the thread title doesnt change. This is frusterating. Im about to just start a new thread. :confused:

BKTJ
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Same thing can't edit titles??? Sold the items and it won't let you change the title.

Joe
09-24-2009, 1:14 PM
Trying to sell items but my thread title won't change.

Go to advaced. Change title. but all that happens is the subtitle changes and the thread title doesnt change. This is frusterating. Im about to just start a new thread. :confused:

This is my problem also.

The Wingnut
09-24-2009, 1:47 PM
Ditto the 'PLEASE DELETE' 'ITEM SOLD' thread edits with all the pertinent info removed.

ANNOYING...I'd like to see the going rate on stuff, even if I can't have it.

mtsul
09-24-2009, 2:22 PM
great post, but I'd like to add one thing:

When editing your post as ****SOLD****, please leave the entire contents and the title for reference. Nothing is more annoying (except my x-wife) than looking for the thread you made a deal on and it's gone.

IE:

before sold title: FS/FT Colt Gold Cup $19.99 San Diego

After sold title: **SPF SPF** Colt Gold Cup $19.99 San Diego **SPF SPF**

I agree