PDA

View Full Version : misdemeanor shooting

mtsul
05-02-2009, 11:04 AM
What happens if your charged with a misdemeanor shooting in the hills at least a mile away from anything, not shooting at any house or anything like that, just targets. can you still buy/own firearms code pc 246.3 (a) in colton

Thanks I will tell my brother. Also I thought the ten year 10 year prohibition on firearms possession. Was only for a domestic violence misdemeanor conviction Am I wrong?

G30 Steve
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
What happens if your charged with a misdemeanor shooting in the hills at least a mile away from anything, not shooting at any house or anything like that, just targets. can you still buy/own firearmsWhat code section?

MudCamper
05-02-2009, 12:02 PM
What happens if your charged with a misdemeanor shooting in the hills at least a mile away from anything, not shooting at any house or anything like that, just targets. can you still buy/own firearms

Laws against shooting tend to be county ordinances and are likely only infractions. Further, what you describe is likely not even a violation of one of those ordinances, as they usually state within a certain distance of roads or buildings.

In any event, if this mysterious code isn't listed in the CA PC as one of the prohibited misdemeanors, then it would not prevent firearms purchase or ownership.

If you are facing this, the code in question would help answer the question.

mtsul
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
pc 246.3 (A)

MudCamper
05-02-2009, 12:29 PM
pc 246.3 (A)

Youch. Yes, per 12021(c)(1) that prohibits possession of firearms.

But 246.3 is "willfully discharges a firearm in a grossly negligent manner". If you feel this is not an accurate representation of events, hire and attorney and fight this thing to the bitter end.

Edit to add: That is a felony/misdemeanor wobbler. If convicted as a misdemeanor then it's a 10 year prohibition on firearms possession.

JDay
05-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Negligent discharge of a firearm, there must be more to this then simply shooting at targets in the hills.

n2k
05-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Contact a Lawyer:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=165638

http://www.tmllp.com

Liberty1
05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
That's a very serious state felony charge. Get lawyered up fast. It may have been misapplied but don't take any chances. DO NOT go into any more details on line.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow! You joined Calguns on Thursday to buy a gun "cash and carry," ask for advice that night from Calguns on if you can shoot near Colton, and by Saturday the cops bust you. OUCH! :(

skateboarder74
05-02-2009, 1:10 PM
Wow! You joined Calguns on Thursday to buy a gun "cash and carry," ask for advice that night from Calguns on if you can shoot near Colton, and by Saturday the cops bust you. OUCH! :(

Sounds like you got set up.

mtsul
05-02-2009, 1:45 PM
Well luckily for me. but unluckily for my brother. he got the misdemeanor shooting

mtsul
05-02-2009, 2:34 PM
Thanks I will tell my brother. Also I thought the ten year 10 year prohibition on firearms possession. Was only for a domestic violence misdemeanor conviction Am I wrong?

CSDGuy
05-02-2009, 2:56 PM
The 246.3 conviction is a 10 year prohibition on possession. Any DV conviction is a lifetime ban. Even if you were in an are that's not designated as a "no-discharge zone" by the county, well away from any roads, structures, and such, the 246.3 means that someone is shooting in a manner that is so dangerous that Great Bodily Injury could have resulted. Think "knowingly shooting in a direction where someone is, just not intentionally AT them"... IOW People are downrange but they're not your target.