PDA

View Full Version : Missing guns

bodger
05-01-2009, 9:15 PM
sorry. decided to delete.

hawk1
05-01-2009, 9:23 PM
If you don't have the serial numbers then you may be out of luck.

You could send in one of these (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf) and it might list the handgun(s) that are registered in your name, depending on what year you purchased them. Then use that serial number to file a lost or stolen report.

The sotgun maybe a lost item as no serial numbers are recorded for them by the DOJ

grahlaika
05-01-2009, 9:26 PM
Well, are they somehow registered with the state? Can they be traced back to you in any way? If the state doesn't know about them, then you reporting them lost doesn't do anything for you as far as protection from the guns being used during a crime or something.

If you're looking at from a point of view of lost/stolen property, then that's a different issue and nothing to do with the fact that they're guns. Do you have the receipts to prove they're yours? Do you have any proof that you gave them to your friend for storage and not as a gift?

I assume you tried contacting his wife to find out what may have happened to the trunk. That should be your first step. If she doesn't know, it's possible your trunk is in a landfill somewhere along with the rest of the junk she didn't want to deal with from the house. House cleaners normally come in and throw everything away - they only spend about an hour cleaning out a house, so they don't go through stuff.

Anyway, lots of possibilities. I'm not a lawyer, so these are just my opinions and suggestions.

JDay
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I know it's illegal now to loan a gun.

Actually its not.

7222 Hawker
05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
If they are handguns, they should be registered with the DOJ - in which case you should be able to recover them by flagging the file. Long guns - good luck. Unless you voluntarily registered them with DOJ or kept the serial numbers yourself, your out of luck. Long guns are not registered in CA and it is very hard to track them, even for LEO's. I would advise from this point on - write down ALL your serial numbers. If they are stolen, acid restoration can bring back even a ground off number.

JDay
05-02-2009, 1:05 AM
If they are handguns, they should be registered with the DOJ - in which case you should be able to recover them by flagging the file. Long guns - good luck. Unless you voluntarily registered them with DOJ or kept the serial numbers yourself, your out of luck. Long guns are not registered in CA and it is very hard to track them, even for LEO's. I would advise from this point on - write down ALL your serial numbers. If they are stolen, acid restoration can bring back even a ground off number.

He bought them over 20 years ago, I doubt DOJ has any record.

HowardW56
05-02-2009, 6:41 AM
He bought them over 20 years ago, I doubt DOJ has any record.

They will have the handguns...

I have checked what they have recorded in my name... They have hand guns I bought going back to the late early 80's for sure, possibly the late 70's

JDay
05-02-2009, 10:23 AM
That's good to know. I thought it was illegal in CA to loan anyone a firearm.
Unless you went throught the same process as if you were selling it.

You only need to do that if you loan them out for more than 30 days. Storing them at a friends is not the same as a loan either.

Tweak338
05-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks.
Does anyone know if this Franchi Spas 12 would have been considered just another long gun when purchased in 1989?

Back then, it was just another longarm.
Today, its a AW

HowardW56
05-02-2009, 1:04 PM
I don't agree with the gun laws in this state, but I sure as heck don't want to break them either. Call me paranoid.

You sound like most of the people here...

I don't care for most of the firearm laws that the California has enacted, but I don't want to end up on the wrong side of them either...

MindBuilder
05-02-2009, 1:05 PM
Virtually all guns purchased from dealers in the US since I think 1969 are effectively registered to the person who bought the gun from the dealer. Dealers are required to keep records of sales for 30 years, and if the dealer goes out of business or the business is sold, the records must be handed over to the feds. It is said that very few dealers stay in business for more than 30 years. Also, dealers are required to let the feds inspect their records at will. I suspect a lot of records are copied and retained long before the 30 year expiration.

If one of the guns was an assault rifle, you may have just admitted to a felony on a public forum. Considering some of the things people on this forum say, I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI is capturing IP addresses, including yours. I doubt they will waste their time on you, but that's an uneducated guess.

In California, handguns may only be loaned for 30 days to someone you know personally and who has a handgun safety certificate. Those could be some more offenses. Long guns can be loaned for longer periods but probably still not for years. I think storage is considered possession unless maybe it's in a safe an/or there is a storage rental agreement. Multiple responses you've gotten here have been in error about what the law is. You need to talk to a lawyer about this. And not just any lawyer, a California lawyer who specializes in gun laws.

You probably shouldn't reply or make any more comments about this issue here or by email until you've talked to a lawyer.

JDay
05-02-2009, 1:24 PM
If one of the guns was an assault rifle, you may have just admitted to a felony on a public forum. Considering some of the things people on this forum say, I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI is capturing IP addresses, including yours. I doubt they will waste their time on you, but that's an uneducated guess.

The feds have no authority to enforce state laws. I also seriously doubt they're capturing IPs.

In California, handguns may only be loaned for 30 days to someone you know personally and who has a handgun safety certificate. Those could be some more offenses. Long guns can be loaned for longer periods but probably still not for years. I think storage is considered possession unless maybe it's in a safe an/or there is a storage rental agreement. Multiple responses you've gotten here have been in error about what the law is. You need to talk to a lawyer about this. And not just any lawyer, a California lawyer who specializes in gun laws.

You probably shouldn't reply or make any more comments about this issue here or by email until you've talked to a lawyer.

First off there was no such thing as a HST 20+ years ago. Secondly he could have just given the firearms to his friend without going through an FFL back then.

JDay
05-02-2009, 1:44 PM
Lawyer sounds like the way to go.
Thanks to all.

I wouldn't sweat it, you were never in possession of an unregistered assault weapon. Just get a list of your handgun serial numbers are report them as lost.

cousinkix1953
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
A friendly LEO once told me to keep a list of the guns I own. Log in the make model, serial number and caliber. Don't forget the importer's names and special markings on military surplus guns. Note if sporterized etc.

It might be a good idea to zip that list up in a locked archive and e-mail it to yourself. Not likely to be lost that way. Send it to more than one of your e-mail accounts...

In one case I own a single-shot .410 which was sold under several brand names. A correct replacement buttstock is s different brand name than the shotgun, but identical. This is something that would be noticed too...

bodger
05-03-2009, 12:35 AM
A friendly LEO once told me to keep a list of the guns I own. Log in the make model, serial number and caliber. Don't forget the importer's names and special markings on military surplus guns. Note if sporterized etc.

It might be a good idea to zip that list up in a locked archive and e-mail it to yourself. Not likely to be lost that way. Send it to more than one of your e-mail accounts...

In one case I own a single-shot .410 which was sold under several brand names. A correct replacement buttstock is s different brand name than the shotgun, but identical. This is something that would be noticed too...
Thanks!