PDA

View Full Version : Crap day at work

kermit315
05-01-2009, 7:01 PM
this is a no-sh@#er.

everything was going good today, looking forward to the weekend. we have had a plane in specials that needed turned for leak checks. Ok. Well, I am 1 of 2 turn qualed people that is not on leave, and the other one had to inspect the engine during operation. So, I read the book, head to the line and do an ORM brief, and get in the cockpit. FDC gives us a lookover and says we are clear to start.

I start windmilling the starboard engine, and sure as hell the wings start an uncommanded spread. for those unfamiliar, Hawkeye wings spread down then out, kind of in an arc. sure as hell, spread right into a power cart that was supplying us with electricity.

tore up a deicer boot.

everything was completely by the book, I performed my emergency procedures exactly as required, but I still feel like a jack ***.

ETA: today was my 8 year anniversary of coming into the Navy, so not a total crap day, just mostly.

lbdrummer3
05-01-2009, 9:22 PM
That sucks man but at least nobody got hurt. It could have been a lot worse. Besides, it's the weekend now!

Desert_Rat
05-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Tough break.
In 97 I was in USMC,I go to the motor pool and ask where the HMMWV I requested was,the mechanic says it's down for maintenance.I keep pressing him and throwing my rank on him (me Sgt E5,him Lcpl.E3) finally he gets my attention and say it's ready if you need it that bad.So I'm in a hurry I throw my trip ticket on the center platform,and I boogey.I didn't even do any of the required PM and checks.Never opened the hood. I went far enough down the beach at Del Mar,Camp Pendleton.to make it a long hike back.
Turns out,the mech got tired of me busting his balls and just closed the hood.The truck had NO oil pan,radiator,oil cooler or water pump.The engine started and ran fine until the transmission pumped all of the transmission oil onto the ground and stopped moving.surprisingly the engine wasn't hurt all that bad and was put back together and ran well.No rod knock No galled piston,lucky me I guess.The mech laughed and I chewed his *** but he reminded me of the purpose of the pre-trip inspection so ,as embarrassed as I was I ended up laughing it off w/him and the others let it go to save my butt also.

Now as a civilian my day was better than yours,I got an $8.00/hr raise today.

kermit315
05-01-2009, 9:35 PM
raises are always good.

Everybody tells me to just shrug it off. They say I did my part, followed the book and performed the EP's, and stuff just happens.

I still feel bad about creating work for someone else, even if everything was done right.

I will be better by monday, then back to the game.

Manong0369
05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
That sucks man but at least nobody got hurt. It could have been a lot worse. Besides, it's the weekend now!

No body is perfect, as much as we, senior NCOs/POs, try to be:rolleyes:, we will have times that things go bad. At least no one was hurt except your pride, right? S##t happens. We just learn from it and move on. Your young sailors will see you more as a professional if it doesn't get to you. Just sit back and enjoy your beer.:thumbsup:

kermit315
05-02-2009, 9:05 AM
yeah, my pride is dinged up, even if I did it all right.

My guys didnt see me down in the dumps. No worries there. I just hate to create work that didnt need to be done before, especially right before deployment. That is what makes me the maddest.

4 Brigada
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
yeah, my pride is dinged up, even if I did it all right.

My guys didnt see me down in the dumps. No worries there. I just hate to create work that didnt need to be done before, especially right before deployment. That is what makes me the maddest.

It would be really bad if you didnt feel the way you do. DUDU ocurrs. Like someone posted no one got hurt and at the end of the day thats the most important thing. You learned from this experience. After all only senior NCO's know everything from the gitgo, we never had to learn anything.:rolleyes: Maybe you need to say something, bring this up, because the procedure might be flawed.

kermit315
05-02-2009, 5:50 PM
It would be really bad if you didnt feel the way you do. DUDU ocurrs. Like someone posted no one got hurt and at the end of the day thats the most important thing. You learned from this experience. After all only senior NCO's know everything from the gitgo, we never had to learn anything.:rolleyes: Maybe you need to say something, bring this up, because the procedure might be flawed.

Yeah, we reviewed all the references after it happened, and we are implementing local changes as well as submitting changes to the type wing and sending out a HAZREP.

Manong0369
05-02-2009, 6:02 PM
Yeah, we reviewed all the references after it happened, and we are implementing local changes as well as submitting changes to the type wing and sending out a HAZREP.

At least it happened before being on deployment when the bird is suppose to be in the air instead of in the hangar down for repair. Who knows, this problem may have saved other birds from having the same problem. Good luck on deployment and enjoy the rest of your week.

kermit315
05-02-2009, 6:43 PM
I am just glad it happened on the flight line instead of the flight deck. on the deck, it would have spread into at least one other hawkeye, if not an 18 or prowler. who knows how bad the damage could have been if it was on the roof when it happened.