PDA

View Full Version : Ordering pistol with high cap mag out of state?

chrisr
05-01-2009, 3:46 PM
Im a security officer with a law enforcement agency in CA, so im a public officer instead of sworn officer. Anyway Ive been looking for a particular pistol to have sent to my FFL in the city where I live .Gun dealers and gun stores dont sell these pistols in CA, but they can be purchased in other states and made CA compliant provided the pistol has a bullet button and 10 round fixed mag kinda like the ARs.

I found the pistol im looking for in another state with non bullet button and a high cap magazine included. My FFL and I contacted them and they werent sure if it was legal to send this pistol to CA along with the high cap mag. We explained to them that it would have to be shipped with pistol grip removed and the high cap mag dissassembled like a parts mag kit. When my FFL receives the pistol a bullet button would have to be installed along with a 10 round mag. I will just keep the high cap mag as a parts kit.

The gun dealer is on board now providing that I fax him my dept. id stating that I work for a law enforcement agency. I definately do, Im not a sworn officer from an academy, but i have extensive training through the dept. I carry a gun on duty, I do have limited arrest powers while on duty.

Im assuming the gun dealer thinks im a cop with a law enforcement agency. Would it be wrong to fax my dept id that states im a security officer with a law enforcement agency. The transaction would be legal providing the grip is removed and the mag is dissassembled. The pistol would be made CA compliant as soon as it arrived in CA. If the gun dealer does accept my credentials and sends the pistol to my FFL do you think this could bite me in the butt later? Sorry, Thanks for reading this long post

yzernie
05-01-2009, 7:54 PM
You have arrest powers but never said if you are PC832. That could make a HUGE difference.

chrisr
05-01-2009, 8:07 PM
I have taken the pc832 arrest search and seizure, and firearms courses

Rogue187
05-01-2009, 9:39 PM
Unless your under the CA Penal Code definition..then you just may be out of luck.
You say that your ID says Security Officer but is issued from a LE agency.
Unless your ID says you are a Police Officer you just may be pushing it too far.

Also if your not a Peace Officer then you would be considered " Impersonation of a Police Officer"
If your classification is not recognized in the California Penal Code under section 830...any of the sections under CA PC 830 then you would most likely ineligible to purchase or import into the state.

FLIGHT762
05-03-2009, 7:14 PM
Im assuming the gun dealer thinks im a cop with a law enforcement agency. Would it be wrong to fax my dept id that states im a security officer with a law enforcement agency. The transaction would be legal providing the grip is removed and the mag is dissassembled. The pistol would be made CA compliant as soon as it arrived in CA. If the gun dealer does accept my credentials and sends the pistol to my FFL do you think this could bite me in the butt later? Sorry, Thanks for reading this long post

You'd better research this well before you send your I.D. to the FFL dealer. If you are NOT a Police Officer, I don't think you can buy a non compliant pistol and cannot have the hi cap magazines. The agency I just retired from fired an Officer for some improper gun sales. I won't go into the details .

If you give the dealer the impression you are P.C. 832 qualified to purchase and you're not, this will come back and bite you very hard.

Ron-Solo
05-21-2009, 3:38 PM
Don't know what agency you work for, but if you don't have peace officer powers, you can't purchase firearms approved only for LEOs. You mention a bullet button, so it sounds like you are trying to dance around the AW restrictions. Without a letter from your Chief or Sheriff, or his designee, you can't register an AW in Cali.

If you are doing the off list lower approach, go thru an FFL that is experienced in that specific field. It is very easy to get yourself in a jam that could cost you the job you now have, and any future as a peace officer.

It just isn't worth it.