PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know before offering to sell an AR-15 type lower here?

Monoz
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

I have an AR-15 type lower that I'm thinking about posting for sale here. I am a former Californian now located in Colorado, have already sold several other items here, but this would be the first "firearm".

The lower brand does not appear on either appendix A or appendix B of the AW flowchart.

The lower would be complete except for the buttstock. I can remove the pistol grip or any other LPK parts if requested.

I would ship to a CA FFL with a copy of my CO drivers license included.

Is there anything else particular about California law I or the buyer need to be aware of?

domokun
05-01-2009, 1:01 PM
Start here?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=41606

Post it up for sale in the "Private Firearm Sales" and good luck!?

CHS
05-01-2009, 1:52 PM
Hi All,

I have an AR-15 type lower that I'm thinking about posting for sale here. I am a former Californian now located in Colorado, have already sold several other items here, but this would be the first "firearm".

The lower brand does not appear on either appendix A or appendix B of the AW flowchart.

The lower would be complete except for the buttstock. I can remove the pistol grip or any other LPK parts if requested.

I would ship to a CA FFL with a copy of my CO drivers license included.

Is there anything else particular about California law I or the buyer need to be aware of?

You're totally fine. The lower can even be fully assembled with a buttstock and a pistol grip and a regular magazine release button.

jimh
05-01-2009, 7:19 PM
You're totally fine. The lower can even be fully assembled with a buttstock and a pistol grip and a regular magazine release button.

that doesn't sound right (pistol grip + detachable mag = Unregistered assault weapon) right?

armygunsmith
05-01-2009, 7:24 PM
I would sell the lower stripped, or install a bullet button... Better to be safe than sorry.

EBR Works
05-01-2009, 7:46 PM
Without an upper attached, it is not a centerfire rifle. Perfectly legal to ship the complete lower to a Cali FFL that will accept it in any configuration as long as it's off list.

wildhawker
05-01-2009, 8:14 PM
that doesn't sound right (pistol grip + detachable mag = Unregistered assault weapon) right?

Not a centerfire rifle without the upper.

CHS
05-01-2009, 9:09 PM

Assault weapon is defined as "semi-automatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any ONE feature".

While the pistol grip is a feature, an assembled lower *IS NOT* and *CAN NOT* be a semi-automatic centerfire rifle.

It would be a "Title 1 firearm that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine with a pistol grip".

jimh
05-01-2009, 9:37 PM
got it, thanks guys

Monoz
05-04-2009, 8:28 AM
Thanks all - sounds like I can go ahead.