PDA

View Full Version : Another CFLC Question

Young Version
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I recently put a deposit down on a PTR-91 being sold in North Carolina by a private seller. Having asked the seller to remove the trigger group and disassemble the included magazines, he informed me that he would be having his FFL do the work and ship it out. I assume that his FFL has not completed the paperwork necessary to transfer to a CA FFL, since the shop doesn't have a website and thus is unlikely to have much business from CA.

To me, it sounds as if my options are to either convince the FFL to do the CFLC paperwork or use a middleman, which would substantially increase the cost. I've read here that the forms take very little time to fill out, but there's always a possibility that the FFL would be unwilling. The only remaining option I can think of would be having the rifle shipped under the seller's name as a private seller transferring to a CA FFL. I do not know the legality of having the FFL send out the package in this manner, so that's a major part of why I'm asking.

Cliffs: I'm trying to find a compromise between easy and cheap when it comes to shipping a rifle from out of state, while remaining lawful.

I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here...I looked around a bit and couldn't find a thread that answered all of my questions.

hawk1
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Private individuals can ship directly to your local FFL legally. Now, it depends on if your FFL will accept from a private individual. It's his choice. The ones that do ask that a copy of the sellers drivers license be included in the package.
Also, a private individual does not have to comply with the CFLC. That only applies to FFL to FFL shipments.

Young Version
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Private individuals can ship directly to your local FFL legally. Now, it depends on if your FFL will accept from a private individual. It's his choice. The ones that do ask that a copy of the sellers drivers license be included in the package.
Also, a private individual does not have to comply with the CFLC. That only applies to FFL to FFL shipments.

I am planning to have the rifle shipped to Ade's, who I believe has no problem doing shipments from a private individual.

dfletcher
05-01-2009, 2:20 PM
I recently put a deposit down on a PTR-91 being sold in North Carolina by a private seller. Having asked the seller to remove the trigger group and disassemble the included magazines, he informed me that he would be having his FFL do the work and ship it out. I assume that his FFL has not completed the paperwork necessary to transfer to a CA FFL, since the shop doesn't have a website and thus is unlikely to have much business from CA.

To me, it sounds as if my options are to either convince the FFL to do the CFLC paperwork or use a middleman, which would substantially increase the cost. I've read here that the forms take very little time to fill out, but there's always a possibility that the FFL would be unwilling. The only remaining option I can think of would be having the rifle shipped under the seller's name as a private seller transferring to a CA FFL. I do not know the legality of having the FFL send out the package in this manner, so that's a major part of why I'm asking.

Cliffs: I'm trying to find a compromise between easy and cheap when it comes to shipping a rifle from out of state, while remaining lawful.

I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here...I looked around a bit and couldn't find a thread that answered all of my questions.

The fellow who owns the gun can send it to your FFL - that's perfectly legal. However, you want to check with your FFL, in this case Ade's, to ensure specifically what documentation he needs from the nonlicensed sender. Then, in writing, send that information to the seller/sender and get his response - in writing. And specific means no room for error. If Ade's will take a copy of the guy's DL and the guy sends his DL with the DL # or address or SSN blacked out will that satisfy Ade's? Need to know exactly what is needed in advance to avoid problems.

Also, need to make sure the package is properly insured. What happens if you've paid $1K for the gun, the sender insures it for $1K and the gun goes missing? Does he have $2K and you've got nothing?

Iron out the FFL documentation required & insurance & you're fine.