View Full Version : Rescue Mission benefits from growing unease over gun rights

05-01-2009, 6:02 AM
Interesting. This is not a bad idea. Wonder if it would even work around here? Definitely piss off the anti's. :D

When Nampa gun store owner Roberta Regnier offered a chance to win an AR-15 rifle for anyone who brought in two cans of food, she got 7,000 entries and collected 10 tons of food for the Boise Rescue Mission.

The winning ticket was drawn on April 15.

The raffle piqued so much interest that Regnier's Alpha Omega Services is doing another one - the shop's third - this time for a new, 1927-style Tommy gun.

Other businesses are catching on.

Sheepdog Ammo in New Plymouth donated 1,000 rounds of ammunition to Regnier's raffle.

Archery Outfitters of Nampa is holding its own "Food for Bow and Arrows" drive with a bow hunting package as the prize.

Howard's Tackle Shoppe, also in Nampa, is offering a food donation raffle for a G-Loomis rod and Shimano reel.

"We're trying to see if the fishermen can outdo the hunters," said owner Howard Davis.

Both he and Regnier will draw their winning tickets on Independence Day.

Roscoe said people recognize that the need for food assistance is growing.

On Tuesday, 613 people ate at the Rescue Mission's River of Life shelter in Boise, setting a record for the number of meals served in a single day.

But Idahoans are also uneasy about the state of the country and the economy - and what effect the Obama administration might have on the Second Amendment, the Mission's Rev. Bill Roscoe said.

He understands that anxiety. The president's voting record showed he was willing to restrict some uses of weapons, Roscoe said.

Regnier said she has heard from customers who are afraid of what's ahead for semi-automatic weapons. She had to hire extra help before the presidential election because of all the people stocking up on weapons and ammunition.

But she's also heard from people who don't feel too removed from tough times themselves.

"A customer came in and donated food for the raffle. He said, 'I may be needing food from them one of these days,'" Regnier said.

"Even if people didn't fear for their rights, they would still go for the guns," she added.

The value of the items she's raffling is close to $2,000.

Interest in guns and generosity happen to be converging, Roscoe said, "but it doesn't matter if you're selling guns, or computers. People are concerned about their neighbors."

Alpha Omega staffers found envelopes of cash among the donations from people who wanted to donate but didn't bother taking a raffle ticket.

Anna Webb: 377-6431

05-01-2009, 6:14 AM
I love the idea. I just raised about $2,500 for something and it was like pulling teeth in this economy.

05-01-2009, 6:50 AM
Interesting. This is not a bad idea. Wonder if it would even work around here? Definitely piss off the anti's. :D

And they can write the cost of those guns off on their income taxes, since the money raised goes to a 50-C3 tax exempt rescue mission...

05-01-2009, 8:40 AM
Thats a great idea.

05-01-2009, 1:04 PM
How awesome! You can set up a raffle ticket booth right next to the "gun buyback" tables. Gun for food raffle right next to food for guns table.

The irony would be incredible.

05-01-2009, 1:10 PM
I've been wondering for a while why there isn't more pro 2A piggybacking with charitable causes. We get torn between spending our time and money on civic organizations and pro 2A stuff--shouldn't we be trying to integrate?

05-01-2009, 1:15 PM
I've said before that it's more effective sometimes to work for someone else's benefit than your own. In this case, it's working against the "selfish gun owner vs. the public good" meme that the press likes to push.

I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and have a "gun training for women's shelters" program, but the world isn't quite ready for that yet. Feeding the hungry makes more sense now.

05-01-2009, 1:42 PM
Y'know, that might be a truly excellent idea........how about this.....

Say, some number of suitable charitable groups were to be enrolled in the 'gun raffle tickets for a donation' programme.

Someone....some group or individual, could donate tax-deductible funding to run the operation....the challenge, of course, would be to find that group or individual.

When the 'gun buy-back' operations are announced, the 'gun raffle' group could offer to pay a little bit more than the buy-back, publicising the charitable nature of the programme.

I'd not be at all surprised that some licenced dealers would be willing to donate time to handle the actual purchases, particularly of handguns, and hold them in inventory pending the transfer to the raffle winners. Presumably, the dealers could list the value of services provided as a tax-deductible donation to the charity.

There is a rather elegant little 'devil in the details' here......the people connected with the buy-back programmes are 'running the odds', expecting that amongst the rusty junk guns they 'buy-back' will be enough high-value older guns, brought in by people who know nothing about guns, to show a major return on investment. (you don't think they really melt down the good ones, do you?).

A 'will pay a better price' offer by a charitable group, for raffle purposes, would reasonably 'skim' the 'cream' of the guns which would go to a buy-back programme.

It may well be worth-while for the charity to pay a higher price for some junk guns, then take them to the buy-back operation to recover most of the investment, writing-off that loss for the publicity value. Doubtless, the buy-back operators would not be at all happy about this, since they'd be getting only the junk, not the 'sleeper' high-value guns. (somehow, I'd have a hard time feeling sorry for them, about that.)

A rather fascinating situation might develop if the buy-back people could be convinced to engage in a 'bidding war' with the 'guns for charity' programme.....that could lead to some truly interesting publicity.... : )