PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA and I need help

JazzFan
04-30-2009, 8:32 PM
I am moving to CA and need some help. Been doing some research and need help to make sure I am legal. Here is how I understand CA law:

AR-15's
S&W M&P15T: I can bring this in state by installing the bullet button, right?

SIG 556: I can bring this in state by installing the bullet button, right? Even with folding stock?

RockRiver Elite CAR A4: NOT CA COMPLIANT NO MATTER WHAT SINCE IT IS ON THE BANNED LOWERS LIST, RIGHT?

30 Round Mags: NOT LEGAL
10 Round Mags: Legal to bring in state, right?

HANDGUNS
1- Register SIG 229's, H&K P2000 and H&K P30 with state, right?
2- Mags holding 10+ rounds: NOT LEGAL
3- Bring all the 10 round mags I want, right?

SHOTGUNS
870 18 inch barrel: Legal, right?
Saiga 19 inch barrel: need some help on this one...ok being magazine fed semi-auto?

22's
Are Ruger 10/22's with magazines legal? Can you put a bullet button on a ruger?

Am I close to understanding the law correctly? Thanks for the help!

Ifticar
04-30-2009, 8:59 PM
JazzFan, your post makes me sad. I made me realize just how much crap we have to put with because of the the effete majority in our once great state.

FS00008
04-30-2009, 9:01 PM
I am moving to CA and need some help. Been doing some research and need help to make sure I am legal. Here is how I understand CA law:

AR-15's

Yes

SIG 556: I can bring this in state by installing the bullet button, right? Even with folding stock?

Yes, make sure you meet the OAL requirement of 30" when folded.

RockRiver Elite CAR A4: NOT CA COMPLIANT NO MATTER WHAT SINCE IT IS ON THE BANNED LOWERS LIST, RIGHT?

I believe that's correct but you could trade the lower for an OLL and keep everything from the original rifle and you should be fine

Yup, except for one teensy thing. You can bring disassembled 30 round or any size you want as long as it is completely disassembled and stays that way for the entire time you're in the state.

HANDGUNS

Yup, except for one teensy thing. You can bring disassembled 30 round or any size you want as long as it is completely disassembled and stays that way for the entire time you're in the state.

SHOTGUNS
Saiga 19 inch barrel: need some help on this one...ok being magazine fed semi-auto?

Saiga's fine as long as you use a Raddlock or something else like that as well as <10 round mags. No issues with the 870.

22's

All Rimfire Rifles are exempt from the AWB as long as they meet OAL of course.

evan69
04-30-2009, 9:02 PM
10/22's are fine as they are not a centerfire rifle with "evil features"

Also you have to register the handguns once you get here. I think you have 90 days.

LAK Supply
04-30-2009, 9:05 PM
You're pretty close on all of this... way to do your research. :thumbsup: Please see the add-ins below.

AR-15's

CORRECT

CORRECT

CORRECT

CORRECT, ALTHOUGH YOUR 30 ROUND MAGS CAN BE BROKEN DOWN INTO REPAIR PARTS KITS AND ARE LEGAL TO POSSESS IF NOT ASSEMBLED IN CA.

HANDGUNS

CORRECT

SHOTGUNS

CORRECT. AS LONG AS THE SAIGA HAS NO "EVIL FEATURES" THAT IS LEGAL TO BRING IN AS WELL (THE ORIGINAL STOCK WILL WORK JUST FINE).

22's

NO MAG DEVICE NECESSARY- .22 IS EXEMPT FROM THE "EVIL FEATURES." MAGS OVER 10 ROUNDS ARE NOT LEGAL TO BRING INTO CA, EVEN FOR 22.

LAK Supply
04-30-2009, 9:06 PM
Saiga's must have a mag device in "sporting" configuration?:confused:

FS00008
04-30-2009, 9:08 PM
Saiga shotguns must. Saiga rifles are fine.

USAFTS
04-30-2009, 9:31 PM
I am moving to CA....

JazzFan,

If you don't mind my asking...Why have you chosen to move TO California? To be honest, I am born and raised here and I am actively looking in Texas. As soon as I find something, I am going to watch this place get smaller and smaller in my rear-view mirror and soon this will be "A nice place to visist but I wouldn't wanna live there."

USAFTS

slappomatt
04-30-2009, 9:45 PM
so you cant bring even preban mags into california that you owned before the ban?

Josh3239
04-30-2009, 9:46 PM
The mags would have had to be owned within California before the ban.

JazzFan
05-01-2009, 6:19 AM
JazzFan,

If you don't mind my asking...Why have you chosen to move TO California? To be honest, I am born and raised here and I am actively looking in Texas. As soon as I find something, I am going to watch this place get smaller and smaller in my rear-view mirror and soon this will be "A nice place to visist but I wouldn't wanna live there."

USAFTS

Transfer with my employer...way too good of an opportunity to pass on!

USAFTS
05-01-2009, 9:09 AM
Transfer with my employer...way too good of an opportunity to pass on!

Gotcha.....Well good luck my friend.