PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 514

SKSer
04-30-2009, 8:14 PM
Hey guys, I just picked one of these up today, I paid $125.00 for it. It is in great shape, no rust, bore is nice and shiny, stock is perfect. I was just curious, is this a decent price for this rifle, and also how accurate are they generally. I ultimately bought it for my boy for his first .22, im gonna cut about 3" off the stock, and was contemplating cutting the barrel down too but am unsure if i wanna mess with instaling a new front site which seems like it would be the hardest thing to do. Well anyways just wanted to share and hear some of your guy's input. Just gotta wait the PRK 10 days :cool:, thanks guys
Gary

Ford8N
04-30-2009, 9:48 PM
That is a fair price for a Remington 514. The 500 series Remington's have been steadily going up in value the last few years. I wouldn't cut anything on the rifle, it would end any collector value and would just become a shooter. But it is your rifle.

wellfedirishman
04-30-2009, 9:49 PM
The old Remingtons are great guns. I have a 513T that is super accurate.

Don't chop it, you will never be able to put it back to original. Just shoot it as-is and your son will soon grow into it.

Older American 22s are the best ever made.

SKSer
04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
thanks for the info guys, yea im very excited about taking him out to shoot it. I allways try and take good care of my guns and never permanately modify them, but i bought it specifically for him and it will be awhile before he would grow into it. The guy at the gun store had a good idea about drilling two deep holes at the end of the buttstock so that way I can save the piece that I cut off and use dowels to piece it back together. I guess in the end, i never plan to sell any of my firearms so with this i can keep this in the family as a good starter gun and hopefully my kids can teach their kids how to shoot with it. Ill have to post some pics when i get it home. Thanks again guys for the info.
Gary

Asphodel
05-01-2009, 1:56 AM
SKS,

I'll offer a thought, if I may.......

Those old 500 series Remingtons we once 'took for granted' as cheap, readily available, and 'good quality for the price' are a tiny bit of the industrial America we'll never see again.

Its worth preserving as 'original', if its in the good condition you say......so, the 'easy fix' is to look on-line for a spare stock.......a serviceable one, even if its not all that good-looking, (sand lightly, raise dents, stain and varnish....an easy project) shouldn't be all that hard to find.

Cut down the spare stock, and preserve the original.....you, and your son, will be grateful, years from now.

cheers

Carla

SKSer
05-01-2009, 7:19 AM
SKS,

I'll offer a thought, if I may.......

Those old 500 series Remingtons we once 'took for granted' as cheap, readily available, and 'good quality for the price' are a tiny bit of the industrial America we'll never see again.

Its worth preserving as 'original', if its in the good condition you say......so, the 'easy fix' is to look on-line for a spare stock.......a serviceable one, even if its not all that good-looking, (sand lightly, raise dents, stain and varnish....an easy project) shouldn't be all that hard to find.

Cut down the spare stock, and preserve the original.....you, and your son, will be grateful, years from now.

cheers

Carla

Man with all these thoughts I may just have to second think this cutting down the stock deal, maybe ill have him try it like it is. As far as the rarity of these rifles, there was a little jackpot at that gun store then cause there was a couple more 514's, I allready got the best one though :p . I just figured they were real common.

gunboat
05-02-2009, 7:24 PM
Why not spring for a "boys" rifle like the henry, or another single shot, save the remington, sell the boys rifle later -

SKSer
05-02-2009, 8:05 PM
Thats why I got the 514, I thought they were like a dime a dozen because my intentions were completely for a small rifle for a child. I went into the gun store and was looking at the crickett and I only had about 100 bucks to spend, and for the cheapest crickett, it was like $280 or so so I just went to the used section and there was a few of these models all priced between $95-$195, this one was $125 and it was in the best shape of them all. I totally thought i just got a cheap rifle that happened to be in good shape. Im still determining what to do, still got a few days till 10 day wait is over. thanks for the advice, Gary

kkd
05-04-2009, 7:24 PM
SKSer,
Wait until you shoot that ole Remington. A buddy of mine has two and they both shoot like a house on fire.
Those 514's are such nice shooters, someone ought to run over and grab the other two that are sitting at that gunshop.
Please think twice about chopping that stock down.

maxicon
05-05-2009, 1:08 PM
I was going to suggest the holes-and-dowels trick too.

Personally, I like to shoot guns, and have no problem tweaking them for their intended use. Heck, it's a $125 gun - make it work for you, get your kid involved in the chopping of the stock and the plan for re-assembling it, and he'll appreciate it that much more!

You can always watch for a used stock, if you feel the need, but I'd be feeling good about cutting it down for my kid. Alternately, you could go back and see if the dealer will put the cheapest one on the same DROS (save the fees), and you'd have one to cut down.

SKSer
05-05-2009, 3:11 PM
yep I chopped the stock allready, it came out great, I just couldnt tell the boy that he would have to wait longer for another rifle or to grow into it. I just followed Larry Potterfields instructions and it worked like a dream, i will be also following his instructions on how to chop the barrel down and re-use the front site as soon as recieve the rest of the rifle. I will post pictures when the rifle is all done.