PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS: Souter to retire

timdps
04-30-2009, 5:59 PM
On MNBC now.

tim

Hopi
04-30-2009, 6:06 PM
Do you think it's because he feels that Obama is only a 1-termer? Funny that this guy was appointed by W. Sr.....

mblat
04-30-2009, 6:06 PM
Souter, Ginsburg ..... we are getting two brand new liberals..... soon....

DRM6000
04-30-2009, 6:10 PM
how much was he paid?

kermit315
04-30-2009, 6:14 PM
man, what the hell.

Wonder who else will retire/switch parties soon.

AEC1
04-30-2009, 6:15 PM
Out with old rif raf, in with new, lets hope the replacements are in their 70's...

drbob
04-30-2009, 6:24 PM
At least we won't be losing one of the affirming justices from Heller.

Bad Voodoo
04-30-2009, 6:36 PM
how much was he paid?

No kidding.

I think even Obama realizes he only has short amount of time to completely change this country's landscape.

We're in big, big trouble. Elections have consequences.

Solidmch
04-30-2009, 6:39 PM
Out with old rif raf, in with new, lets hope the replacements are in their 70's...

That will not happen. I predict early fifties even late 40's

yellowfin
04-30-2009, 6:52 PM
Heart attacks and brain tumors happen at 45 all the time these days...

mmbasser
04-30-2009, 6:55 PM
"Heart attacks, strokes? That's CIA stuff!"

Mel in Conspiricy Theory!

unusedusername
04-30-2009, 6:57 PM
Link to story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30508968/

jamesob
04-30-2009, 7:02 PM
maybe one good one will fly in under the radar. we can dream can't we.

tombinghamthegreat
04-30-2009, 7:06 PM
Maybe the last remain republicans along with the pro gun democrats could stonewall a anti gun judge? That would be nice but i am not holding my breath.

Telperion
04-30-2009, 7:06 PM

Survey says ... unlikely.

socal2310
04-30-2009, 7:08 PM

Hey, Reagan and Bush I appointed liberals in conservative clothing. Hopefully Obama's cabinet is equally incompetent.

Ryan

bwiese
04-30-2009, 7:19 PM
Relax and don't panic.

Nothing changes. Heller 5 are still there.

ke6guj
04-30-2009, 7:20 PM
Hey, Reagan and Bush I appointed liberals in conservative clothing. Hopefully Obama's cabinet is equally incompetent.

Ryan

no kidding. We've been burned with appointments, have we ever been suprised with stealth conservative appointment.

kermit315
04-30-2009, 7:23 PM
Relax and don't panic.

I'm not panicking as much as I cant believe the chain of events recently. First spectre, now this. I just wonder what is going to happen next.

SwissFluCase
04-30-2009, 7:29 PM
Hey, it's not like we can get any worse. I almost had a cow until I realized he didn't affirm Heller.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Telperion
04-30-2009, 7:30 PM
I'm not panicking as much as I cant believe the chain of events recently. First spectre, now this. I just wonder what is going to happen next.
Nancy Pelosi will join the John Birch Society. :p

DDT
04-30-2009, 7:32 PM
SCOTUS would be a safe place for Obama to keep Ms. Clinton from being a risk if he isn't very popular in 4 years.

lobonegro
04-30-2009, 7:45 PM
Well, we will be able to reaffirm 0bama's real colors with his appointment

RP1911
04-30-2009, 8:01 PM
Hummm. The ramifications of Spectre's switch and giving the Senate Dems 60 votes. Now they can appoint pretty much who they want without worrying about the Reeps torpedoing an appointment. I think they can even limit discussion.

trashman
04-30-2009, 8:05 PM
The NPR report I saw said that Obama intends to appoint a woman to the Court. It's gonna be a few months before we heard who the nominee is.

IIRC Souter was a disappointment first for the conservatives, and later for the liberals who thought they had a closet lefty on their hands. I was a little surprised by his dissent in Heller, but a lot of non-gunnies (folks who don't understand the mechanical non-distinctions) felt that Miller was settled caselaw. Souter obviously fell in that category...

--Neill

Bad Voodoo
04-30-2009, 8:07 PM
Well, we will be able to reaffirm 0bama's real colors with his appointment

I hope the public backlash re: any radical appointments to the bench by Obama is just as reaffirming to Congress about their tenuous grasp on our constitutional government. Approve at your own risk. 2010 is right around the corner.

Midian
04-30-2009, 8:28 PM
Whomever Rahm Emmanuel tells Obama to appoint, that person will not have our best interests, nor that of the Constitution as we understand it, in mind.

Paladin
04-30-2009, 8:30 PM
That's why the MSM is pushing for BHO to appoint a liberal woman -- they usually live a lot longer than men. If she's 40, she may stay on the Court for the next 40 years. :mad:

I'm sure all the self-identified "pro-gun liberals" who were pushing for BHO last fall will be overjoyed at the new justice's views on the 2nd A RKBA. :rolleyes:

Kinda of funny that as soon as the Dems get Specter to formally join them, Souter immediately jumps ship. Yes, US Sup Ct justices are above partisan politics. :rolleyes:

SKG19
04-30-2009, 9:55 PM

Souter was a liberal D-bag...Bush Sr. really screwed the pooch on that one.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3q5uE-hgtH4/SaHVJyVNpiI/AAAAAAAAAJs/1k26-pE5_tI/s1600/SCTGinsDefDecPct.png

Texas Boy
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Not sure why everyone is in a panic. Souter was supposed to be a conservative (appointed by Bush Sr.) and turned out to be liberal. He was a decenting vote on Heller - and SKG19's graph shows he has a solid liberal voting record.

Worse case - BHO appoints a replacement who is just as liberal as Souter, but younger. Not a big deal in the grand picture and younger isn't a guarantee they will be on the court longer. BUT....the potential upside is tremendous. History is ripe with judicial appointments that went contrary to expectations - Souter is an example. So relax - things will either be just the same or better.

nick
04-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Requires a brain though. However, they do have plenty of heart, so it might work out alright.

cousinkix1953
04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
No kidding. The liberals hate the idea that justivce Clarence Thomas doesn't eat enough bacon & eggs so he will die from a heart attack or high cholesterol...

Riodog
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Souter was a liberal D-bag...Bush Sr. really screwed the pooch on that one.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3q5uE-hgtH4/SaHVJyVNpiI/AAAAAAAAAJs/1k26-pE5_tI/s1600/SCTGinsDefDecPct.png

Bush Sr. screwed the pooch on a lot of issues and was a liar to boot.
Rio

cousinkix1953
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Nose candy plants don't grow just across the border. FARC is also sending heir cocaine and real AK-47 assault rifles to those Mexican drug cartels.

David Souter also abused the eminant domain process. He wasn't happy with condeming your block to build a public school or a new library. Say good riddance to the capitalist pig, who gave cities permission to seize your land, and sell it to a developer who wants to build a Wally-World super store. Your azz will be on the street, so greedy politicians have another source of sales tax revenues to spend on their pet projects...

Sinixstar
05-01-2009, 12:49 AM
well-- 30 States drafting proclamations of independence and so many Americans buying guns and ammo already to arm the Chinese army 3 times over maybe made them think a little. ha these Kommies will have a full court press on in the next two years to try and kill the American ethos of individual Liberty look for every dirty trick imaginable from these pigs.

I just finished reading "Out of Captivity" the book about the recent rescue of the private surveillance contractors that were held as political prisoners in the jungle by the FARC for 6 years. They reveal the connections between Kommie Chavez and the murdering / terrorist FARC. It is well known in the U.S. intelligence communities about Chavez's support for the terrorist yet this Kommie POS Obama goes down there to hug the guy. Just wait-- you are looking at naked Marxist in Washington now.

I dunno - I always thought Obama's suits were fairly well made. Can't say I've ever seen him naked.

As for the rest of it - largely irrelevant. 95%+ of American politics is irrelevant. It's all hot-button issues to get people riled up so they don't look too close at what's going on elsewhere. As long as people are worried about things like naked marxists, gun control, abortion, gay marraige, illegal immigration - that's less time they're thinking about things like globalization and why we choose to get involved in the wars we get involved in. Obama's going to follow the same underlying strategy on those big-ticket items behind the scenes that GWB followed, that Clinton followed, that Bush Sr and Reagan followed.... that's just how it is.

Sad, but true.

I mean, why do you think some of these issues have never been resolved? Do you really think anyone WANTS them resolved? Take away the hot button issues - and what's left to look at? Oh, right, the *other* things that are going on...

FreedomIsNotFree
05-01-2009, 2:52 AM
Here's to hoping Obama's first choice has tax "issues".

dixieD
05-01-2009, 5:31 AM
Not sure why everyone is in a panic. Souter was supposed to be a conservative (appointed by Bush Sr.) and turned out to be liberal. He was a decenting vote on Heller - and SKG19's graph shows he has a solid liberal voting record.

Worse case - BHO appoints a replacement who is just as liberal as Souter, but younger. Not a big deal in the grand picture and younger isn't a guarantee they will be on the court longer. BUT....the potential upside is tremendous. History is ripe with judicial appointments that went contrary to expectations - Souter is an example. So relax - things will either be just the same or better.

A good example of this is the two judges, appointed by Clinton and Carter, who gave us the Nordyke decision.

aileron
05-01-2009, 5:32 AM
Hey, it's not like we can get any worse. I almost had a cow until I realized he didn't affirm Heller.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Don't, tempt fate. Every time I say it can't possibly get any worst... it does.

Timberline
05-01-2009, 6:14 AM
Given Bush Jr's selection of ramrod-stiff Conservatives, I don't expect Obama to select any but quite liberal justices. Bush made it clear that such appointments are the ultimate reward of the Executive, and cleared the way for Obama to make his selections based wholly on his own ideology. Why move to the moderate or middle ground?

In other words, since it came around, it'll go around.

cousinkix1953
05-01-2009, 6:28 AM
Don't, tempt fate. Every time I say it can't possibly get any worst... it does.
He voted the wrong way on Heller and Kelo too. Souter gave us a terrible eminent domain decision, which allows the city to seize your property and sell it to commercial developers. A new Wal*Mart or Target store brings in sales tax money for the politicians.

We still haven't fixed the eminent domain problem; because our corrupt rulers fought over the language in a ballot measure a couple of years ago...

Tarmac02
05-01-2009, 7:07 AM
If for some reason O does 8,... he could possibly replace 4 SCJs

garandguy10
05-01-2009, 7:40 AM
George bush sr. use to run the CIA, he knew exactly what and who Souter was before the appointment to SCOTUS .No surprises for Bush Sr, in Souter's voting record.

DrjonesUSA
05-01-2009, 7:44 AM
Take it for whatever its worth, but a knowledgeable person whom I trust told me to expect Holder as a nominee.....

Let's not freak out too much, as it really doesn't change things to have one statist bastard replaced by another......

Let's just all pray for the health and well-being of every conservative on the court......maybe write a few letters begging and pleading them to stay in office until well after hussein leaves. :D :D

DrjonesUSA
05-01-2009, 7:48 AM

Ryan

That's very true and hussein's administration has absolutely PROVEN themselves to be totally incompetent in selecting appointees; how many prospective appointees withdrew because of tax issues??

There's no reason to believe they'll suddenly become competent enough to make this appointment.......I HOPE. :)

HunterJim
05-01-2009, 9:03 AM
Justice Souter has been a major disappointment his entire Supreme Court tenure, so he might as well finish it in this fashion.

jim

7x57
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Relax and don't panic.

The problem is the long-term game. Obama appointments make our game harder twenty years from now.

Here's to some solid precedent being established by then.

7x57

dfletcher
05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
If for some reason O does 8,... he could possibly replace 4 SCJs

I think he could easily do 3 in 4 years - Souter, Ginzberg & Stevens. In fact, I'd be surprised as hell if that's not exactly what happens.

CCWFacts
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Please choose Feinstein! We should start a campaign to get her nominated for the Supreme Court.

cyphr02
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Bush Sr. screwed the pooch on a lot of issues and was a liar to boot.
Rio

Newt '12 huh?

nicki
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Sourter's retirement may actually be a "good thing" for us.

For once, when a SCOTUS judge is questioned by the Senate, they will be asked by the Senate about their view on Heller.

Alot of the liberal constitutional scholars have been coming over to our side supporting that the second amendment is a individual right.

The Dems may have a fillibuster proof majority, but on any Supreme court justice nomination, if they try to shut down legitimate questioning of the Supreme court nominee, there will be a political backlash.

If we trully still have a "Pro Gun" majority in the Senate, the Heller case will be discussed with any appointee.

For any Senator up for election in 2010, voting for a SCOTUS judge who is against "Heller" potentially could be political suicide.

It could be a showdown in the Senate. If Senators refuse to nominate a Justice because they can't correctly read the second amendment, we could be in good shape.

Obama will have to make a decision. How bad does he want our guns.

What happens between now and 2010 will determine the fate of our not just our gun rights, but all of our rights.

Nicki

Bad Voodoo
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Obama has described his ideal Supreme Court as being a "refuge of the powerless" -- a populist attitude toward the nation's highest court that suggests the sort of person he will nominate to replace Justice David Souter, who is expected to resign this summer.

"And then there's another vision of the court that says that the courts are the refuge of the powerless," he said. "Because oftentimes they can lose in the democratic back and forth. They may be locked out and prevented from fully participating in the democratic process.... And we need somebody who's got the heart -- the empathy -- to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor or African-American or gay or disabled or old -- and that's the criteria by which I'll be selecting my judges."

Hope for the best but expect the worst. This appointment is going to be a doozy.

lioneaglegriffin
05-01-2009, 2:44 PM

For once, when a SCOTUS judge is questioned by the Senate, they will be asked by the Senate about their view on Heller.

Alot of the liberal constitutional scholars have been coming over to our side supporting that the second amendment is a individual right.

The Dems may have a fillibuster proof majority, but on any Supreme court justice nomination, if they try to shut down legitimate questioning of the Supreme court nominee, there will be a political backlash.

If we trully still have a "Pro Gun" majority in the Senate, the Heller case will be discussed with any appointee.

For any Senator up for election in 2010, voting for a SCOTUS judge who is against "Heller" potentially could be political suicide.

It could be a showdown in the Senate. If Senators refuse to nominate a Justice because they can't correctly read the second amendment, we could be in good shape.

What happens between now and 2010 will determine the fate of our not just our gun rights, but all of our rights.

Nicki

im sure we'll get the same song and dance we got from Obama. 2A is a indvidual right but not exempt from "common sense" regulation.

DDT
05-01-2009, 2:46 PM
don't suppose Dr. Condoleezza Rice is in the running do you?

Cypren
05-01-2009, 3:01 PM

Since there's no way the Democrats will grill their own President's appointee, this line of questioning requires Republicans to have both a brain and a spine. They haven't really shown a history of either.

My personal prediction is that 2A views won't be touched in the hearings, as the Dems try to define "mainstream jurisprudence" as somewhere to the left of Joseph Stalin and trumpet the nominee as a "moderate", while the Republicans try to score points with the religious right by holding her to the fire on abortion and gay marriage.

Meanwhile, partisan Republicans will be reminding everyone how the Court needs a "moderate" to represent the divided views of the voters while partisan Democrats will be crowing that "elections have consequences" and that an ultra-liberal represents Obama's "mandate". And both sides will be accusing the other of having done a 180 since the 2005 nomination process... and both will be right.

:popcorn:

Dirtbozz
05-01-2009, 3:06 PM
Please choose Feinstein! We should start a campaign to get her nominated for the Supreme Court.

She would not effect the balance of the court, and we would finally be rid of her in California.

DDT
05-01-2009, 4:06 PM
She would not effect the balance of the court, and we would finally be rid of her in California.

I don't think they'll do that and let Arnold choose the next California Senator. Even if he did, getting rid of her wouldn't be that big of a deal as any replacement (after the appointee's term is up) would likely be worse.

cousinkix1953
05-01-2009, 9:02 PM

Nicki
Nominees are asked about prior court decisions all of the time and Heller falls into that category now. They might not want to comment about other pending issues...

sgtlmj
05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Kinda of funny that as soon as the Dems get Specter to formally join them, Souter immediately jumps ship. Yes, US Sup Ct justices are above partisan politics. :rolleyes:

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. The timing is just too perfect, especially with Specter being on the Judiciary Committee. :TFH:

DDT
05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. The timing is just too perfect, especially with Specter being on the Judiciary Committee. :TFH:

Won't specter lose his judiciary seat? I'm pretty sure that is a partisan seat so unless the dems kick out one of their members Specter is out.

cousinkix1953
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Won't specter lose his judiciary seat? I'm pretty sure that is a partisan seat so unless the dems kick out one of their members Specter is out.
Patrick Leahy is in charge of that committee right now. Specter has been there for years, so the Democrats will get rid of somebody else, with much less seniority. It could be Feinstein if we are lucky...

Sinixstar
05-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I think he could easily do 3 in 4 years - Souter, Ginzberg & Stevens. In fact, I'd be surprised as hell if that's not exactly what happens.

Ginsberg isn't going to go anywhere. Stevens wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Even Souter isn't much of a surprise, just surprising he went before Stevens.
Ginsberg - for all her faults, you gotta respect the dedication - woman does love her job, even if she sucks at it.

I'm guessing that since there's a pretty good possibility that he'll be replacing more then one justice before he leaves office, and since Healthcare is an issue that WILL come up this year - the first appointment will be a "safe" one. I don't think you're going to see an ultra-liberal judge, or one with any kind of controversial background. The political capital will have to be saved for the Healthcare fight. He'll pick someone that isn't going to make too many waves, or get anybody except the extremities of either party too riled up. The ultra-right and ultra-left with both probably be pretty disappointed and try to fight it.

rabagley
05-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Ginsberg needs to live seven more years with a very aggressive cancer. She's not going to make it.

dlfletcher is right on the money: the current best outcome is that Souter, Ginsburg and Stevens all retire during Obama's presidency, most likely during the first term.

Worst case, one or more of the Heller five may be forced to retire in the next four or eight years. The most likely of the Heller five to retire during Obama's administration is Kennedy, who will be 76 by 2012 and 80 by 2016.

tiki
05-02-2009, 9:52 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_go_su_co/us_scotus_souter_retiring

"I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a case book. It is also about how our laws affect the daily realities of people's lives," Obama told reporters after speaking with Souter by telephone.

Translation: The Constitution and Bill of Rights are outdated and don't hold much relevance today in the one world theory.

I don't know about you guys, but when I read this it sounds like he is speaking specifically about the 2nd Amendment and the Heller ruling.

Hopi
05-02-2009, 10:00 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_go_su_co/us_scotus_souter_retiring

Translation: The Constitution and Bill of Rights are outdated and don't hold much relevance today in the one world theory.

I don't know about you guys, but when I read this it sounds like he is speaking specifically about the 2nd Amendment and the Heller ruling.

Sounds like that to me as well. I'm expecting him to nominate this piece of work. (http://www.joycefdn.org/AboutUs/alberding.aspx)

Buckle up.