PDA

View Full Version : DROS Switching question

cyrus
04-30-2009, 1:16 PM
I ordered a gun A online. Did the DROS for A. THen a few weeks later bought another type of long gun, Gun B.

The Gun B arrived but But A may not make the 30 day time frame due to the shipper.

Can I use my DROS on gun B?

PolishMike
04-30-2009, 1:18 PM
If they are both long guns then I don't see why not.

cyrus
04-30-2009, 2:20 PM
So a DROS does is not tied to a certain gun, just a type?

If I odered gun B 5 days ago am I good?

PolishMike
04-30-2009, 2:28 PM
A long gun dros does not have the make/model/serial number of the gun as a handgun dros does. It is really up to the dealer though

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 2:46 PM
So a DROS does is not tied to a certain gun, just a type?

If I odered gun B 5 days ago am I good?

I DROS'd my last long gun the day it was shipped from the vendor. 10 day wait was 1/2 over by the time it arrived at my FFL for transfer.

blackberg
04-30-2009, 3:14 PM
you should be able to, the 4473 has to be photocopied as is, then on the original the old info crossed out and replaced with the new info, and both copies kept together at the FFL.
-bb

ontargetrange
04-30-2009, 8:32 PM
I DROS'd my last long gun the day it was shipped from the vendor. 10 day wait was 1/2 over by the time it arrived at my FFL for transfer.

If you are in Kalifornia the DOJ does not allow for the DROS to be completed before the firearm arrives -- they require the serial be present at the time the computer work is done and signatures taken

PolishMike
05-01-2009, 3:03 AM
If you are in Kalifornia the DOJ does not allow for the DROS to be completed before the firearm arrives -- they require the serial be present at the time the computer work is done and signatures taken

FUD!

Only serial numbers for handguns are entered into the system. Long guns are NOT.

The gun does not have to be present (a lot of distributors will fax/e-mail serial numbers incoming so that you can start the dros while a handgun is in the mail.)

cyrus
05-01-2009, 8:26 AM
For long guns.

BUt what if the dros is at 27 days

and the

Gun B was purchased 5 days ago and has arrived at the ffl.

halifax
05-01-2009, 9:01 AM

The gun does not have to be present (a lot of distributors will fax/e-mail serial numbers incoming so that you can start the dros while a handgun is in the mail.)

This maybe a gray-area here. If there were a surprise DOJ inspection, the agent usually starts by having the dealer account for ALL the firearms still in the 10-day limbo. Explaining why a firearm is not still in your safe may be difficult. Of course, you could show them it isn't in your A/D book either. I don't know if they'd buy that or not.

chefdude
05-01-2009, 9:50 AM
I always thought you could buy as many Long Guns as you want per month as well as, as many PPT as you want per month, you are only allowed 1 Handgun purchase every 30day (unless its a PPT). Is this true?

PolishMike
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
This maybe a gray-area here. If there were a surprise DOJ inspection, the agent usually starts by having the dealer account for ALL the firearms still in the 10-day limbo. Explaining why a firearm is not still in your safe may be difficult. Of course, you could show them it isn't in your A/D book either. I don't know if they'd buy that or not.

You show them the shipping papers. Done deal.

halifax
05-02-2009, 7:01 AM
You show them the shipping papers. Done deal.

Is anything a done deal with the BOF?

Probably would work 99% of the time. However, you may get the agent that can't comprehend such logic or doesn't care to listen to it. ;)

Vin496
05-02-2009, 8:39 AM
I always thought you could buy as many Long Guns as you want per month as well as, as many PPT as you want per month, you are only allowed 1 Handgun purchase every 30day (unless its a PPT). Is this true?

+1

All this back and forth about long guns.

Let me spell it out, since your not picking up on it.

There is no 1 gun 30 day rule for rifles. You can DROS as many rifles as you want a month.