PDA

View Full Version : Issue with 10 Round Black Dog Magazine

Nate74
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I recently got a couple 10 round Black Dog magazines for my new Spike's .22lr Upper. Problem is if I load 10 rounds into them, the follower gets stuck on the "stopper" part. Since I can see in there, it appears the follower is rotating slightly and the back edge is catching on that stopper dealy (technical term I'm sure).

Anyone else have this happen? Remedies? Suggestions?

TIA!

jchen76@gmail.com
04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
This is same problem in my shorty 10 rounder. Load to 9 rounds, it's fine. Should probably contact black dog about this. My guess is the follower is getting snagged at the 10th round.

HeHateMe
05-01-2009, 3:09 PM
Are these the 10rnd mags or the 9rnd mag where the follower keeps the bolt partially open?

Arteel
05-01-2009, 4:21 PM
Take apart the mag and lightly shave the part of the follower that is binding on the mag. You dont need to shave too much just make sure its smooth. Did it to mine and it doesn't get stuck anymore.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/DC2Projektz/IMG_0253.jpg

Nate74
05-03-2009, 6:28 PM
Take apart the mag and lightly shave the part of the follower that is binding on the mag. You dont need to shave too much just make sure its smooth. Did it to mine and it doesn't get stuck anymore.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/DC2Projektz/IMG_0253.jpg

Excellent suggestion. Just finished up and now I have a functioning 10 round magazine. Used a Dremel and tiny grinding bit. Then took a small dowl with an angle cut in one end and some 220 grit sand paper to smooth it out. Just cycled through 10 rounds no problem at all.

Thanks much!!!

Arteel
05-03-2009, 7:51 PM
Glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

brassburnz
05-04-2009, 6:07 AM
Where did you guys get your BDM mags? I see lots of internet vendors. Just wondering if one is better than the others.

Thanks,

Arteel
05-04-2009, 8:49 AM
check out the mags from cmmg.

Nate74
05-04-2009, 9:36 AM
Got mine from Spike's.

!@#$
05-04-2009, 9:44 AM
check out the mags from cmmg.

are they shipping the 10 rounders yet?

pbrand
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem with one of mine. Did the same fix and it works flawless now.

Arteel
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I dont believe so, atleast I haven't seen any yet. They do look nice though.

are they shipping the 10 rounders yet?

!@#$
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I dont believe so, atleast I haven't seen any yet. They do look nice though.

i like that they don't crack if solvent gets on them like the BDM mags do. $20 each is nice too.

Arteel
05-09-2009, 5:01 PM
I'll have to keep that in mind! :eek:

i like that they don't crack if solvent gets on them like the BDM mags do. $20 each is nice too.

richgirl729
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone! GOOD NEWS! I wanted to inform you we ARE going to run another batch of the long body 10 round mags. We will run them so you can have bolt hold open followers and full 10 rounds. If you are having problems with the follwer getting stuck on the 10 round short mags, clip the extra piece off. I'm trying to get kevin to throw in a run of the regular BHO follower (without that annoying tab). It is there to retrofit the UZI.22. We didn't realize the follower would get stuck. I'll post again when the 10 round long body mags are ready to ship!

-Racheal Rich
BDM

CHS
05-12-2009, 8:25 PM
I'm trying to get kevin to throw in a run of the regular BHO follower (without that annoying tab).

I really really hate the BHO follower. I took a vertical mill and removed them from all of my mags.

When I run a competition or shoot with those mags, they don't drop-free when the follower is holding the bolt open. That's a really bad design, in my opinion.

If you guys did a run of the non-BHO followers, I would buy a dozen of just the followers :)

EdCo
05-13-2009, 2:43 PM
I just go my conversion kit with two magazines and they are doing the same thing. How did you guys take your magazines apart? They seem to be riveted together.

CHS
05-13-2009, 2:54 PM
I just go my conversion kit with two magazines and they are doing the same thing. How did you guys take your magazines apart? They seem to be riveted together.

They're just allen-head screws. No rivets.

EdCo
05-13-2009, 3:04 PM
They're just allen-head screws. No rivets.

Hmmm... thanks bdsmchs!:thumbsup: I think I need to get a new pair of glasses.

arfan66
05-13-2009, 3:22 PM
I really really hate the BHO follower. I took a vertical mill and removed them from all of my mags.

When I run a competition or shoot with those mags, they don't drop-free when the follower is holding the bolt open. That's a really bad design, in my opinion.

If you guys did a run of the non-BHO followers, I would buy a dozen of just the followers :)

bdmchs - I have four used but functional non-bolt hold open followers. You can have them if you want them. PM sent.

Jeff

shookatash
05-14-2009, 8:23 AM
my mags don't have that tab that you guys are shaving so i think i'm good to go here..

richgirl729
05-14-2009, 1:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear you don't like the BHO's. A lot of people I talk to like them because they don't dry fire and break a pin. There is hope though, we will have another large batch of the regular followers soon!

CHS
05-14-2009, 3:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear you don't like the BHO's. A lot of people I talk to like them because they don't dry fire and break a pin. There is hope though, we will have another large batch of the regular followers soon!

They're a good idea, and I do actually like them for the normal shooting range.

However, I use my AR-22 mostly for match shooting which does involve lots of reloading. The BHO design keeps the mags from dropping free which increases reloading times.

Firing pins can always be replaced :) hehehe..

Arteel
05-14-2009, 4:55 PM
I didn't realize they didn't drop free until I just tried it. Oh well, doesn't bother me for shooting at the range.

rmasold
05-14-2009, 9:40 PM
Need mags? I stock the black dogs they are great mags. Thanks for the look.

Nate74
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
my mags don't have that tab that you guys are shaving so i think i'm good to go here..

Hopefully you're not referring to the fact that your magazines don't have the capacity restriction "tab" that turned out to be the ultimate fix for my OP. That would mean you have a magazine with a capacity greater than 10.

I must have misunderstood your comment...

Arteel
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Lol, you vendors are funny.

BTW Nate is right, the tab is there to stop the follower from accepting more than 10 rounds.

CHS
05-20-2009, 1:02 PM
Hopefully you're not referring to the fact that your magazines don't have the capacity restriction "tab" that turned out to be the ultimate fix for my OP. That would mean you have a magazine with a capacity greater than 10.

I must have misunderstood your comment...

The "tab" is to act as a bolt-hold-open device.

There is an internal block for some magazines to stop them at 10rd's capacity.

Also, what's wrong with having magazines with a capacity greater than 10rd? I've got plenty of Black Dog mags in 25rd and 15rd capacity. I run them in my detachable-mag dedicated AR-22. I have broken no law.

Alecks
05-20-2009, 1:18 PM
quantity discount on mags! group buy?!?!

The "tab" is to act as a bolt-hold-open device.

There is an internal block for some magazines to stop them at 10rd's capacity.

Also, what's wrong with having magazines with a capacity greater than 10rd? I've got plenty of Black Dog mags in 25rd and 15rd capacity. I run them in my detachable-mag dedicated AR-22. I have broken no law.

did you own them before the ban?

CHS
05-20-2009, 2:07 PM
did you own them before the ban?

Of course not. They didn't exist before the ban. I still have broken no law.

DirtRacer151
05-20-2009, 2:23 PM

Im confused?? How did you acquire them with out breaking any laws?
Also does the BHO followers put pressure on the mags to where they don't drop free when empty?

Nate74
05-20-2009, 2:33 PM

I'm curious too...

If you didn't own them prior to the ban in 2000 (since they didn't exist) how do you legally have them now?

CHS
05-20-2009, 4:03 PM
Im confused?? How did you acquire them with out breaking any laws?

Many moons ago I had an AR that I sold. For that AR I had a Ciener kit, which I also sold.

I never sold the magazines.

Magazines can be legally rebuilt.

Also does the BHO followers put pressure on the mags to where they don't drop free when empty?

Yes, that's correct. We covered that in this thread :)

Nate74
05-20-2009, 5:12 PM
Interesting... and I see the logic, but I wonder how many LEOs would follow.

So at what point do you have a new magazine? Replaced the: baseplate? spring? follower? body? Eeek. I'll stick with my 10 rounders and peace of mind.

CHS
05-20-2009, 5:26 PM
Interesting... and I see the logic, but I wonder how many LEOs would follow.

All that matters is that the law has not been broken.

The last time I had a run-in with LEO while shooting my AR-22 he borrowed my 25rd magazines.

You DO know that possession of magazines with a capacity greater than 10rd's is not controlled or against the law, right?

So at what point do you have a new magazine? Replaced the: baseplate? spring? follower? body? Eeek. I'll stick with my 10 rounders and peace of mind.

I rebuilt the entire magazine, starting with the follower, into BDM's.

I have great peace of mind.

If you want some peace of mind yourself, you should read this:

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Nate74
05-20-2009, 5:33 PM
Cool. Thanks for the insight and the link!

Arteel
05-20-2009, 9:59 PM
Nevermind, I was being dense.

CHS
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
That still doesn't explain how you legally acquired hi-cap mags. I understand you can legally rebuild your hi-cap mags. Did you rebuild your 10 rounders into hi-caps? If so, wouldn't that be manufacturing? Sorry if i'm dumb, i'm just trying to understand what you are saying.

If that doesn't explain how I legally acquired hi-cap mags, then you're being quite dense.

Why would I originally have had 10rd'ers, when before 2000 you could buy magazines of any capacity?

DirtRacer151
05-20-2009, 10:24 PM
he rebuilt his pre ban hi cap ceiner mags w/ modern blackdogs.

Arteel
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Sorry, completely missed it. Didn't know what I was thinking. :sleeping: