PDA

View Full Version : lead .22lr bullets

cgseanp1
04-29-2009, 8:21 PM
Is there anything wrong with shooting .22lr lead bullets out of a 10/22? Someone said the lead fouls up the barrel, I really don't know if that's true, or what it even means..

StraightShooter
04-29-2009, 8:39 PM
Its absolutely ok. Fouling is where lead builds up in the rifling of the barrel. All barrels foul to some extent. Factory barrels are not perfectly smooth so the lead builds up as it fills in the rough spots. Barrels typically shoot better once a certain level of fouling has taken place. That is why with precision rifles you typically dont clean the barrels until accuracy noticeably decreases typically after 300-500 rounds. So, in a nutshell, fouling is not a bad thing unless you have put thousands of rounds through your .22 without cleaning where excessive fouling will degrade accuracy. Copper coated .22 bullets will allow you a little longer between cleanings but thats all.

mydogsmonkey
04-29-2009, 8:42 PM
Its absolutely ok. Fouling is where lead builds up in the rifling of the barrel. All barrels foul to some extent. Factory barrels are not perfectly smooth so the lead builds up as it fills in the rough spots. Barrels typically shoot better once a certain level of fouling has taken place. That is why with precision rifles you typically dont clean the barrels until accuracy noticeably decreases typically after 300-500 rounds. So, in a nutshell, fouling is not a bad thing unless you have put thousands of rounds through your .22 without cleaning where excessive fouling will degrade accuracy. Copper coated .22 bullets will allow you a little longer between cleanings but thats all.

good to know, i wa wondering the same thing cause my latest value pack was all lead bullets and not copper coated

cgseanp1
04-29-2009, 8:46 PM
Cool.. and just regular cleaning would take care of any lead fouling that built up??

StraightShooter
04-29-2009, 8:48 PM
Yep, just use your typical hoppes #9 and a nylon or brass brush.

mydogsmonkey
04-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Yep, just use your typical hoppes #9 and a nylon or brass brush.

thanks bro!

bohoki
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
haa i challend you to find non-lead or even a bullet that has more than a sneeze of a copper coating