PDA

View Full Version : REALLY simple CCW question.

DDT
04-29-2009, 5:09 PM
I was looking at PC 12050 and I don't see where Chiefs of Police are limited to issuing to residents.

(a)(1)(D) is the residency requirement and seems to only apply to (a)(1)(A) issuance

(a)(1)(A)only authorizes Sheriffs to issue

(a)(1)(B) authorizes local head of municipal police to issue and that doesn't seem to reference back to (D)

So, why can't a police chief in NorCal not pad his cities coffers with liberal CCWs to non-city-residents?

ke6guj
04-29-2009, 5:13 PM
I was looking at PC 12050 and I don't see where Chiefs of Police are limited to issuing to residents.

(a)(1)(D) is the residency requirement and seems to only apply to (a)(1)(A) issuance

(a)(1)(A)only authorizes Sheriffs to issue

(a)(1)(B) authorizes local head of municipal police to issue and that doesn't seem to reference back to (D)

So, why can't a police chief in NorCal not pad his cities coffers with liberal CCWs to non-city-residents?

because 12050(a)(1)(B) says.

12050. (a)(1)
(B) The chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a resident of that city, and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry

CSDGuy
04-29-2009, 5:13 PM
PC 12050 (A)(1)
(B) The chief or other head of a municipal police department of
any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is
of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and
that the person applying is a resident of that city and has
completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may
issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of
the following formats:
It's right there...

CSDGuy
04-29-2009, 5:14 PM
Wow, we think alike... :eek:

DDT
04-29-2009, 9:23 PM
Thanks,

I knew that I was missing something simple. I suppose there CoP limit was always there and they just added D to create a similar limit for Sheriffs.

ke6guj
04-29-2009, 9:58 PM
Thanks,

I knew that I was missing something simple. I suppose there CoP limit was always there and they just added D to create a similar limit for Sheriffs.nope, they had to limit the CoP to issue to just city residents, because Chief Byrd would issue to anyboyd in Sacramento county, even to people who couldn't get a CCW from their local CoP or the Sherriff.

http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_146&sess=9798&house=B&author=johnston

SB 146, as introduced, Johnston. Firearms: licenses.
Existing law authorizes the sheriff of a county or the chief or
other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and
county to issue a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person upon proof, among
other things, that the person applying is a resident of the county.
This bill instead would provide that the license may be issued
upon proof, among other things, that the person applying is a
resident of the county, city, or city and county. For purposes of
administering this authority, the bill would limit the jurisdiction
of the sheriff to residents of the county, and would limit the
jurisdiction of the chief or other head of a municipal police
department to residents of the city.

GenLee
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks,

I knew that I was missing something simple. I suppose there CoP limit was always there and they just added D to create a similar limit for Sheriffs.

These guys miss nothing. Thats why we are all here.:thumbsup:

DDT
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
nope, they had to limit the CoP to issue to just city residents, because Chief Byrd would issue to anyboyd in Sacramento county, even to people who couldn't get a CCW from their local CoP or the Sherriff.

http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_146&sess=9798&house=B&author=johnston

Sure seems odd they would choose 2 different ways to limit them.

DDT
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
These guys miss nothing. Thats why we are all here.:thumbsup:

You mean "These guys do miss things, that's why we're all here."

domokun
04-30-2009, 2:30 AM
So what if we struck out that restriction? It's just a simple and small "change" to the statue... ;)