PDA

View Full Version : CA hi cap mag question

vortex
04-29-2009, 1:26 PM
A local thrift store where they all know me handed me a 9mm mag a while back. They often give me odd-ball stuff that they don't want to put on the shelves. Turned out to be a hi cap mag for a Beretta 92, which I don't have and don't plan to get.

I know it's not worth much more than 10 bucks or so, but how can I legally sell it here in CA? Can I sell it to a LEO? Can I sell it to an out-of-state-only buyer, from a state that allows hi cap mags?

I'm always trying to make a buck, without breaking the law.

DDT
04-29-2009, 1:34 PM
disassemble and sell it anywhere but ebay.

edited to make buy into but....

CaliGunOwner
04-29-2009, 1:47 PM
properly modified, it will work in an XD

mydogsmonkey
04-29-2009, 1:49 PM
disassemble and sell it anywhere buy ebay.

thats a good answer

miles2912
04-29-2009, 3:29 PM
Comments about receiving illegal goods in this state should prolly be kept off public forums. Do some reading.

vortex
04-29-2009, 4:04 PM
Comments about receiving illegal goods in this state should prolly be kept off public forums. Do some reading.

What if by "a while back" I meant back before the ban? Also, there was no money involved, and neither side even knew at the time that the item was a hi-cap mag. Also, is simple possession illegal?

But you're right, I should do some reading. I thought I would start with some research. That's why I'm asking here.

Turbinator
04-29-2009, 4:06 PM

There was nothing wrong with him receiving the magazine. The thrift store is in trouble for giving it to him in the first place. The OP shouldn't have to worry.

Turby

JDay
04-29-2009, 4:08 PM
What if by "a while back" I meant back before the ban? Also, there was no money involved, and neither side even knew at the time that the item was a hi-cap mag. Also, is simple possession illegal?

But you're right, I should do some reading. I thought I would start with some research. That's why I'm asking here.

Its illegal to give, sell, lend, manufacture or import hi-cap mags in this state. Simply receiving one however is not against the law.

vortex
04-29-2009, 4:14 PM
Its illegal to give, sell, lend, manufacture or import hi-cap mags in this state. Simply receiving one however is not against the law.

But to give it, or sell it, "disassembled" as mentioned above is okay?? I'm not convinced on that point.

CHS
04-29-2009, 4:33 PM

What part of this:
how can I legally sell it here in CA? Can I sell it to a LEO? Can I sell it to an out-of-state-only buyer, from a state that allows hi cap mags?

implies that the OP wants to do something illegal?

JDay
04-29-2009, 5:08 PM
But to give it, or sell it, "disassembled" as mentioned above is okay?? I'm not convinced on that point.

Correct, nothing in the law prevents you from selling magazine kits.

RideIcon
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Simply receiving one however is not against the law.

:thumbsup:

Ross
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Okay just for the sake of knowledge lets say;

My father brings home a case of 30 rds magazines from Vietnam (you pick the caliber and weapon, it doesn't matter) and upon his death, I aquire said magazines. And I do not own one of those weapons which the magazines fit into.

Can I sell these without John Q Law smurfing with me? How can I preclude myself from eating green balogna sandwiches for the 15 years?

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
A local thrift store where they all know me handed me a 9mm mag a while back. They often give me odd-ball stuff that they don't want to put on the shelves. Turned out to be a hi cap mag for a Beretta 92, which I don't have and don't plan to get.

I know it's not worth much more than 10 bucks or so, but how can I legally sell it here in CA? Can I sell it to a LEO? Can I sell it to an out-of-state-only buyer, from a state that allows hi cap mags?

Technically whoever it was at the thrift store who gave you that mag is now a felon! Good thing you didn't post there name otherwise the SWAT team would be descending on them as we speak!

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Okay just for the sake of knowledge lets say;

My father brings home a case of 30 rds magazines from Vietnam (you pick the caliber and weapon, it doesn't matter) and upon his death, I aquire said magazines. And I do not own one of those weapons which the magazines fit into.

Can I sell these without John Q Law smurfing with me? How can I preclude myself from eating green balogna sandwiches for the 15 years?

Disassemble them and sell them as a box of "magazine rebuild parts"!

lorax3
04-30-2009, 6:17 PM
Remeber the statue of limitations for this kind of felony is three years. I would either turn them over to a local PD or dissasemble them into parts. Since there is no constructive possesion magazines there is nothing illegal about owning all the parts. What you do from here is up to you. Sell them, keep them it doesn't matter if you are just talking about parts. I would not advise repeating the source of these parts if illegally acquired.

Turbinator
05-01-2009, 5:46 PM
Remeber the statue of limitations for this kind of felony is three years.

Since the OP only received the mag, he is not guilty of a crime. Therefore, I don't think this statement applies.

Turby

lorax3
05-01-2009, 7:42 PM
Since the OP only received the mag, he is not guilty of a crime. Therefore, I don't think this statement applies.

Turby

I was not necessarily applying it to him; just reminding people what it was. Thanks for pointing that out though.

-lorax