PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt Not So Cheap Anymore

cdtx2001
04-29-2009, 9:28 AM
Is it just me or are websites like Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Guide not the good deals they used to be? Also, they aren't very CA friendly. SG woun't even sell knives to CA. I've gone round and round with these places over the phone explaining that some of the things they prohibit are not illegal here.

goober
04-29-2009, 9:37 AM
Is it just me or are websites like Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Guide not the good deals they used to be? Also, they aren't very CA friendly. SG woun't even sell knives to CA. I've gone round and round with these places over the phone explaining that some of the things they prohibit are not illegal here.
CTD has gotten MUCH better about what they will/won't ship to CA, thanks to lots of complaining & boycotts and such from CA customers... they still have some no-ship items that shouldn't be, but have really loosened up.
i just began ordering from them again after seeing they were getting better about all that stuff, and had a frustrating incident recently where (due to a simple glitch, not actual policy) the black version of a rifle case was listed as OK but the ACU version was No Ship to CA... pretty silly. an email/call to them cleared it up and i got my items, so it was annoying and added a couple days to the process, but worked out in the end.
dunno about SG.

Mozzetti
04-29-2009, 9:37 AM
They have not been cheap for at least 3 years. Sportsman guide is hit and miss. I never even bother checking either of them anymore.

paintballergb
04-29-2009, 9:40 AM
I hate SG. Their policies suck, the way their website is set up sucks, and all their product reviews are BS.

Darklyte27
04-29-2009, 9:55 AM
They have not been cheap for at least 3 years. Sportsman guide is hit and miss. I never even bother checking either of them anymore.

thats about right..

maxicon
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I still check CTD sometimes when price shopping, but the last few things I bought from them were cheap Chinese barrel clamp rails for a Mini 14 project, and a Condor MOLLE gun bag. Both were the cheapest prices by far for products that have performed very well for the money.

I used to buy ammo from them sometimes, but it's been years now.

sorensen440
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
there ammo prices are up big time

bohoki
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

yea me too but honestly their prices are comparable to everybody else out there

operationblackwater
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
It seems prices are just ridiculously way too high everywhere.

Ugly Dwarf
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Others have obviously had better luck than I, but I have never found CTD to have lower prices than I could find elsewhere (I first heard of them back in the early / mid 90's). One of my brothers swears by them. I don't think I've ever bought anything from them. Perhaps it's what I'm looking for vs. what others are looking for.

I've bought plenty of stuff from Gary Olen at SG over the years. Some of it is crap. Some of it is high quality. Most of it is decent quality stuff at a decent price. The thing that has always set SG apart from the other places for me was that the catalogs (and now website) have a lot of 'unique' items that would be tough to find elsewhere. Note that unique is not always the same as quality.

On Brand Name items (the stuff that's easy to find elsewhere), SG is rarely the best price. SG's shipping is not very competative either - not the worst I've seen, but far from the best.

On the other hand, I have always found SG to stand by their "100% Satisfaction Guarantee". Keep your receipt, and they will refund your money or replace the item (your choice) if you're not happy with it.

At least, that's been my experience.

Dwarf

Ifticar
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Cheaper Than Dirt:
40 S&W, CCI Blazer, 180 Grain, FMJ, box of 50 ===> $37.70!

That is 3X the Walmart price.

The price of dirt must really be out of sight. :confused:

valleyguy
04-29-2009, 1:04 PM
I've gotten some good stuff from CTD these past 8 months -

E.g., the huge Israeli duffel bag, spinning targets, etc. Still worth it, IMHO, though Midway is often just as good for me with a lot of things with my FFL03 discount.

jmc45
05-02-2009, 11:08 AM
How 'bout a 50 box of Blazer 9mm for........$60!
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM464-5.html
Wont be shopping there again any time soon.

norcal-ar
05-02-2009, 12:17 PM
They have not been cheap for at least 3 years. Sportsman guide is hit and miss. I never even bother checking either of them anymore.:patriot:

dondo
05-02-2009, 5:01 PM
Whats double awesome is that the Czech gas mask they have been selling ro 9.99 for ever is all of a sudden 39.99 as soon as the gay swine flu outbreak. Cheaper than dirt can suck my........

Ifticar
05-02-2009, 8:39 PM
CTD current prices are so outrageous that it makes me wonder if their site has been hacked. Surely they are not stupid enough to think they survive doing this.

highpowermatch
05-03-2009, 1:35 AM
OK... :TFH: Moment. If SPG and CTD are so week in thier 2A fortitude, whats to make me think they wouldnt turn over my ammo sales records to abusive athorities? Is that info even protected?