PDA

View Full Version : A Few Q's

cracktheskye
04-29-2009, 1:18 AM
Hey guys...

You'll all have to excuse my ignorance, as I've never been in the military and never really thought about this until about two days ago... But how does it work as far as the issuing of weapons goes? I'm assuming everybody is issued the same gear for basic, but after you are deployed, do you get to choose what type of rifle and/or sidearm you get to use as long as it is within certain parameters, e.g. M4, M1A, etc? Also, are you guys allowed to purchase firearms from your respective branch, or can you buy one on your own and use it assuming it gets approval?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any answers you guys can provide. Also, thanks for all you guys do and for your service to our country... God Bless.

Josh3239
04-29-2009, 1:52 AM
Everything is issued, the military decides what you carry. You have almost no say in it (I say almost as I am sure the biggest impact you can make is by the MOS 03XX or 19X for example). You can't buy their stuff, it is there property. For guns, you can't bring 'em. Even though the military discourages it (atleast to my knowledge), it seems like some guy are buying little things like DragonSkin, Pmags, Magpuls, better followers, etc.

BillCA
04-29-2009, 2:57 AM
Josh is generally correct. For your average grunt, you are issued weapons and equipment. If you're trained on other equipment, that may (or may not) be issued to you for a particular mission. Military services do not sell their equipment to the soldiers.

Soldiers do have some lattitude in the gear they carry, depending on the unit and mission(s) it carries out. For instance, in a combat zone you might be allowed to carry a smaller knife, like a boot-knife, fixed to a shoulder strap. But a lot will depend on your team leaders and commanders.

Non-standard gear is frowned upon due to logistics & supply reasons. Nor do they want soldiers burdening themselves with unnecessary gear or equipment that won't stand up under service conditions.

Special operations groups like Seals, Rangers, Force Recon, etc. can usually select "mission specific" weapons and gear by individual preference. They're given much more latitude due to their independence from large scale logistics.

cracktheskye
04-29-2009, 9:59 AM
Right on guys, thanks for the answers.

Manong0369
04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
This is from a Marine rifleman's perspective because the Army's weapons issued will be different. As stated in the prior posts, the weapons are issued to you. However, as you billet (positions/rank) changes, weapons issued also changes. Within a rifle squad (varies with Army and Marines) there is the fire team. Usually, there are a four-man team consisting of the Team Leader(M16A4 with a M203 Grenade Launcher), the Automatic Rifleman(M249 SAW), Assistant AR M16A4, and a rifleman(M16A4). As an infantryman advances within the squad, weapons vary. From an M16A4 to the M249 SAW to the M16A4/M203 as the team leader. Further, when you advance to E-6 you will be issued an M4 and/or a M9 pistol. Mind this is a Marine rifle squad as the Army issues M4's to all if most of their troops. Also, if you are with Weapons Platoon, be ready to "hump" with weapons system like the M240Gs, the Ma Deuce, mortars and anti-armor weapons. (Anyone, please feel free to correct or add to my post.)

joeyriv
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Manong0369 pretty much hit it right on.

... fellow infantry Plt Sgt...