PDA

View Full Version : Gun Racks in Pickups and restoring public acceptance

TheBundo
04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
What if we started putting gun racks back in out trucks with BB guns in them? Every other truck had them in them when I grew up in SoDak

Model X
04-28-2009, 11:54 PM
What if we started putting gun racks back in out trucks with BB guns in them? Every other truck had them in them when I grew up in SoDak

Red Ryders eh?

gcvt
04-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I think our trucks would get broken into a lot.

tortoisethunder
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Or get pulled over every mile or so.

JDay
04-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Red Ryders eh?

You'll shoot your eye out kid!

JDay
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I prefer discreet gun racks.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005330220670a.shtml

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/06/70/i220670sq02.jpg

MrSigmaDOT40
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I like the idea, it would be perfect at the "right" time to make a big statement. LE could not arrest you for anything even if they stretched a law becuse they would be airsoft right? Of course we have to have orange tips on them, i think that is the law.

50BMGBOB
04-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Like he said, it is about getting public acceptance back. A Red Ryder maybe just the thing. Anyone close enough to break in would see it wasn't a real gun and anyone back a little would wonder. It would be like unloaded open carry. It may get you hasseled a little, but what are your rights worth?

sharpie613
04-29-2009, 12:58 AM
A Red Ryder maybe just the thing. Anyone close enough to break in would see it wasn't a real gun and anyone back a little would wonder.

Last year, my fiance had her car broken into and the faceplate of her 7 year-old stereo was stolen. Just the faceplate. A friend of mine had two dollars in quarters stolen from his car. I find it very hard to believe that your average scumbag would look at a Red Ryder and not want to steal it.

JDay
04-29-2009, 1:05 AM
I like the idea, it would be perfect at the "right" time to make a big statement. LE could not arrest you for anything even if they stretched a law becuse they would be airsoft right? Of course we have to have orange tips on them, i think that is the law.

No law requiring orange tips afaik.

jman11
04-29-2009, 1:13 AM

SODAK....ABERDEEN WHAT? aint nothin like a place where EVERYONE has a CCW and is carrying.... loaded rifles in the backseat, shooting **** while driving out the window LOL.... theres just something about freedoms that sounds good while im locked up here in CA!

TheBundo
04-29-2009, 2:24 AM
Like he said, it is about getting public acceptance back. A Red Ryder maybe just the thing. Anyone close enough to break in would see it wasn't a real gun and anyone back a little would wonder. It would be like unloaded open carry. It may get you hasseled a little, but what are your rights worth?

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! A fully legal way to fight back, get acceptance, GOD, what a bunch of CHICKENS we have become

TheBundo
04-29-2009, 2:26 AM
You know, I appreciate how may say it with money, but GEEZ, what a bunch of yuppies that won't put a BB gun in their window. When I grew up, almost half of the pickups in SoDak had real guns in their windows. The SISSIFICATION of American "men" is appalling

ColetheGun
04-29-2009, 2:36 AM
if i had a truck i would, i have a van, i drove for months with my pellet rifle open in back seat, if some one wanted to steal ok was $20 bux, cops saw it once gave me crap i told him just bb gun, not illegal right and i didnt get in crap, my car my stuff i wish it was in window of my van but wasnt

gcvt
04-29-2009, 3:13 AM
You know, I appreciate how may say it with money, but GEEZ, what a bunch of yuppies that won't put a BB gun in their window. When I grew up, almost half of the pickups in SoDak had real guns in their windows. The SISSIFICATION of American "men" is appalling

This isn't South Dakota. Heck, come on up to San Francisco and we'll see how it goes. I'll be more than happy to follow you around and video tape everything :)

ady
04-29-2009, 6:14 AM
This is how i roll.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/bigenigma/uav1.jpg

JDoe
04-29-2009, 6:57 AM

A non-adhesive decal for the rear window of a pickup truck that looks like a gun rack with guns in it would have a similar effect wouldn't it? Makes a statement (1A for the 2A), costs almost nothing and hopefully the stupid thieves wouldn't break a window for it.

Here is one (http://cgi.ebay.com/SIG-SAUER-556-Rifle-Rear-Window-Rack-DECAL-%2F-STICKER_W0QQitemZ120366787336QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20090121?IMSfp=TL090121151009r19560) I found after about 47 seconds of googling ("gun rack" decal) images... :thumbsup:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/2c/8b/aad6_1.JPG

CitaDeL
04-29-2009, 7:07 AM
I fail to understand the concept of displaying bb guns and airsoft rifles in the furtherance of the 2A.

Its like sticking rabbit ears on an empty cardboard box and calling it a TV.

If you want a truck gun, you can carry it provided you have a locking rack to abide by the federal GFSZ.

paintballergb
04-29-2009, 7:21 AM
Is it illegal to put an actual gun in your gun rack?

pullnshoot25
04-29-2009, 7:24 AM

Nope.

cadurand
04-29-2009, 7:42 AM
I have an aunt who lives in the Salinas area. I can remember when I was a kid (spending many summers there) that I would see trucks rolling by with rifles in the back window.

I asked her if she still sees them and she says she does but not as many. The place has built up a lot in the 30 years she has lived there.

It is sad that something that was once considered normal and accepted can become scary and unaccepted pretty much just because.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 8:12 AM
I lived in the midwest for a few years in my Jr.HS years. Seeing trucks with a rifle & shotgun hanging in the window was an everyday occurrence and we never thought anything of it.

Although I think of that now and think.....would I really feel comfortable leaving my truck parked someone with my stuff hanging openly displayed in the window? In Smalltown USA maybe......in SoCal....no friggin' way! Although I have heard many reports of the last 10yrs or so about how meth is taking over in the midwest, even in smaller towns. I wonder if there had been increase in gun thefts from vehicles prompting a decline in openly displaying your gear in the window?

As for the BB gun idea.....if you're afraid of break-in's.....have them in the rack while you're driving around and then stash them behind the seat when you're parked somewhere to not attack dirtbag attention.

CavTrooper
04-29-2009, 8:18 AM
Belive it or not gentlemen, there are people that still roll around SoCal with rifles in rifle racks in the rear window of their vehicles. They dont get stopped, they dont get harassed, they dont get carjacked, they just go about their business like regular folk.

As a matter of fact, mine are going back up tonight when I get home.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 8:20 AM
Belive it or not gentlemen, there are people that still roll around SoCal with rifles in rifle racks in the rear window of their vehicles. They dont get stopped, they dont get harassed, they dont get carjacked, they just go about their business like regular folk.

As a matter of fact, mine are going back up tonight when I get home.

Where in SoCal? Imperial county farm towns?

sorensen440
04-29-2009, 8:22 AM
I think I like the idea

My only worry is it would spawn a new set of regs and force us to lock our long arms while transporting

CavTrooper
04-29-2009, 8:25 AM
Where in SoCal? Imperial county farm towns?

The last one I saw about a week ago was on the 91/71 transition heading towards Chino/Chino Hills.

Perception is everything, if that is your perception (as a gun owner) of people who openly carry firearms, how can you expect non-gun owners to ever except firearms as part of everyday life.

Or was that meant to be a dig at rural folk?

Bizcuits
04-29-2009, 8:31 AM

Why would an Officer pull you over? It is legal to transport an unloaded rifle.. Trust me most cops have better things to do...

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 8:31 AM
The last one I saw about a week ago was on the 91/71 transition heading towards Chino/Chino Hills.

Perception is everything, if that is your perception (as a gun owner) of people who openly carry firearms, how can you expect non-gun owners to ever except firearms as part of everyday life.

Or was that meant to be a dig at rural folk?

Was prolly going to or coming back from the Prado shooting park that is right there.

I travel all over SoCal ALOT....both urban and rural areas for my job. I can honestly say that is not something I have seen around SoCal in a LONG time. Certainly not common by any stretch.

Theseus
04-29-2009, 8:40 AM
I was going to get a rack for my truck, but they don't make locking racks for a reasonable price and the ones that do lock are the police stand racks that have to mount to the floor/dash.

If anyone has an idea where I can find a locking window rack I would be appreciative.

I was thinking of this as a locking is the way to beat the Federal GFSZ. As long as it locks FGFZA is null, state doesn't matter...100% legal all the time.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 8:43 AM
I was going to get a rack for my truck, but they don't make locking racks for a reasonable price and the ones that do lock are the police stand racks that have to mount to the floor/dash.

If anyone has an idea where I can find a locking window rack I would be appreciative.

I was thinking of this as a locking is the way to beat the Federal GFSZ. As long as it locks FGFZA is null, state doesn't matter...100% legal all the time.

Could you you just use a regular window rack and drill a hole in it somewhere to pass a cable lock thru the rack and then say thru the trigger gaurd so the gun is secured to the rack? Would that meet the def. of a locking rack?

CitaDeL
04-29-2009, 8:49 AM
I think I like the idea

My only worry is it would spawn a new set of regs and force us to lock our long arms while transporting

And that is different than what our legislature does now in what way?

If we do not carry arms for fear our legislature would make it illegal, our legislators would then rationalize anti-gun legislation on the basis that you wont miss what you dont use. If we carry in defense of the right to keep and bear arms, the legislators will rationalize anti-gun legislation on the basis that it makes people uncomfortable or afraid.

Either way, anti-gun legislators will advance anti-gun legislation- The question that remains is, do you want to silently surrender the right to them, or instigate legislative retribution, exposing how irrational, arbitrary, and ridiculous their positions are?

demnogis
04-29-2009, 9:01 AM
My next car will either be another 914 or a Boxster. I'd love to put a rifle rack on the rollbars of a Boxster.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 9:23 AM
My next car will either be another 914 or a Boxster. I'd love to put a rifle rack on the rollbars of a Boxster.

I've seen some SoCal PD's now are strapping pistol grip shotguns on the back of the motorcycle units!

sorensen440
04-29-2009, 9:24 AM
And that is different than what our legislature does now in what way?

If we do not carry arms for fear our legislature would make it illegal, our legislators would then rationalize anti-gun legislation on the basis that you wont miss what you dont use. If we carry in defense of the right to keep and bear arms, the legislators will rationalize anti-gun legislation on the basis that it makes people uncomfortable or afraid.

Either way, anti-gun legislators will advance anti-gun legislation- The question that remains is, do you want to silently surrender the right to them, or instigate legislative retribution, exposing how irrational, arbitrary, and ridiculous their positions are?
I agree with you and would put one in mine if others were doing so as well

Just pointing out one possible negative

demnogis
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I've seen this as well. Tustin PD and Santa Ana PD bike cops have a shortened shotgun on the back in a bolt-on rack. It's "just" as wide as the back end with their saddle bags. Shorter than 18" barrel though. I'd live to have a rack on the back of my bike. With my luck I'd hit cars while splitting lanes...

I've seen some SoCal PD's now are strapping pistol grip shotguns on the back of the motorcycle units!

Liberty1
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM

The answer is depends on where you are and if it is loaded and what type of rack you are using.

Read up at californiaopencarry.org (http://californiaopencarry.org) AND read the actual penal code sections mentioned there such as 12031 PC and 626.9 PC. And realize that the majoritiy of longarms (even concealed from view) do not trigger the concealed prohibitions found in 12025 PC.

You've got some reading to do. :thumbsup:

Barbarossa
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I used to see it all the time in the Chico / Oroville area.

ZRX61
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd fit one just to screw with the proles at college....

alpha_romeo_XV
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I may have been a man ahead of my time. Even though grew up in costal so calif, couldn’t wait to turn 18 and have a real LG in the truck rack. Wish I had a pic of the rusted out ’59 ford F100 with surf board hanging over the tail gate ( fin up - didn’t want the wax to melt) and Rem870 in the window rack parked in front of Tug’s tavern in Pacific Beach, mid 1970’s.

I got grief a few times over having long hair, however, I never did over having the 870 in the window. Times have changed, probably a hate crime now to call someone a f’n lazy long haired surfer doper. Something about not judging a book by its cover – those same years I could do 20+ pull-ups, run a 5 min mile and almost 4.0 GPA in engineering at UCSD, plus I would have fought for my country if drafted (had some older kids on the block that never made it back from Vietnam). I heard the draft letter started “Greetings from your President” I don’t think they were signed in person however. Wish I could still make all those claims - mostly I wish Tugs was still there.

Sorry I don’t have a truck anymore.

Theseus
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Could you you just use a regular window rack and drill a hole in it somewhere to pass a cable lock thru the rack and then say thru the trigger guard so the gun is secured to the rack? Would that meet the def. of a locking rack?

idk, but I was thinking of something that would provide quicker access and perhaps more security.

DDT
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
If I had a P/U I'd almost certainly mount at least the rack. I'd probably only carry guns when going somewhere that I intended to use them. No reason to carry them around and worry about UV damage to the finish/furniture plus the theft possibility. The rack alone would make a statement.

Well, that and the tobacco juice running down the side of the truck.

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, that and the tobacco juice running down the side of the truck.

That's called a "cowboy flame job"! LOL

Untamed1972
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
idk, but I was thinking of something that would provide quicker access and perhaps more security.

Need to come up with something like the locking racks in patrol cars that have the hidden button to release the clamp.

Crazed_SS
04-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I would definitely be concerned about theives with a gun rack in a pickup.

Leaving a firearm on full display in a car/truck is just asking for it to be stolen

professionalcoyotehunter
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I just bought a gun rack 2 weeks ago for my truck. I will have them in the window on a dirt road but that is about it.

Doheny
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Last year, my fiance had her car broken into and the faceplate of her 7 year-old stereo was stolen. Just the faceplate.

They needed the faceplate for the radio they stole from another car.

nicki
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
In other states it is the law that you can't have a concealed firearm without a CCW permits and that includes rifles and shotguns.

The guns have to be displayed in order to legally transport them.

I would not transport using a gun rack unless I took the gun(s) out of the car after transport.

Nicki

N6ATF
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Why would an Officer pull you over? It is legal to transport an unloaded rifle.. Trust me most cops have better things to do...

Yep, like forcing people to ID themselves through warrantless searches, running serial numbers, turning off voice recorders, forcing people to give up their freedom to leave for so long it constitutes arrest...

tortoisethunder
04-29-2009, 1:56 PM

I live in Simi Valley, I would be pulled over constantly, and slowing my commute down considerably. Plus I drive to some of the most undesirable areas in Los Angeles County. I would be putting my life in danger with guns in the window...I believe. I am just going to wait and get a CCW. I would rather not advertise, rather surprise a situation. Right now I Poor Man CCW in a locked container with magazines ready.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisethunder

timdps
04-29-2009, 3:00 PM
Just make sure you put a bullet button sticker on it before you hit the road...:thumbsup:

tim

A non-adhesive decal for the rear window of a pickup truck that looks like a gun rack with guns in it would have a similar effect wouldn't it? Makes a statement (1A for the 2A), costs almost nothing and hopefully the stupid thieves wouldn't break a window for it.

Here is one (http://cgi.ebay.com/SIG-SAUER-556-Rifle-Rear-Window-Rack-DECAL-%2F-STICKER_W0QQitemZ120366787336QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20090121?IMSfp=TL090121151009r19560) I found after about 47 seconds of googling ("gun rack" decal) images... :thumbsup:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/2c/8b/aad6_1.JPG

MrSigmaDOT40
04-29-2009, 3:09 PM
So let me get this straight.... the fear of having your car broke into is enough to deter you from joining with others to make a very big 2A stand? WOW, I don't make much money but I'd replace widows and radio's every week if it was going to help the cause.

But really like somebody already said, put the thing behind the seat or cover it up when your not in the truck. OR don't have it up in the window when you know your going some place like a mall where you will be far away from the car for extended periods of time.

This would be a great idea because if the cops do felony stops, etc etc and its just a toy but already would be legal if it was a real gun, they are screwed. It being a toy makes it 100 times harder to try to stretch and re-write a law to arrest yo and drag you through court.

So at the "RIGHT" time this would be great and I would be down. For people with cars, you probably could rig something up for the rear dash. if you have a car and an AR you could Velcro down one of those AR cleaning stands that wits in the mag wel. The fake AR should fit on it as well.

MrSigmaDOT40
04-29-2009, 3:13 PM
Alsothe point of this is, if enough of us do this, after a while most LE would know it is legal and would leave us alone. After a while they wouldn't be able to tell if the guns were real or fake and wouldn't care. Perfect idea for areas like L.A and the Bay Area.

Might even want to consider the same for open carry. could start open carrying airsoft replicas (in certain areas at certain times only, not down any dark ally's).

Theseus
04-29-2009, 4:50 PM
Check that. . . In most places the laws regarding airsoft, BB guns and such are MORE strict and regulated than would be for guns, which are regulated, in general, at the state level.