PDA

View Full Version : Proof of residency

keepyerpowderdry
04-28-2009, 7:57 PM
I'm sure this will be a quick question, I couldn't find a decent answer online elsewhere.

I am in process of purchasing a handgun and need to prove current residency. We moved back in December so all of our car registrations have the old address. I can update the address using the online DMV form but it states that they do not mail a new registration.

To obtain a new registration with the current address, will I need to make an appointment at the DMV? (this was not one of the selections for making an appointment)

It sounds like a notarized copy of our rental agreement might suffice, how about our tax documents?

This must be a fairly common issue, open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Justin3
04-28-2009, 8:00 PM
I had a similar problem when I was getting my handgun. My car registration is under a family trust so technically, my name isn't on there.
So I was told to get my lease agreement.
A picture ID and a lease agreement with the address the gun is being registered to is all you need. And don't forget your handgun safety cert.

operationblackwater
04-28-2009, 8:05 PM
In my experiences I've had issues kinda like yours in the past. Government issued Statements such as your social security earnings or your water and power bill. Just to be on the safe side go to DMV register the car and get a new print out with your new address such as driving record or ID, if else else fails AAA does DMV paperwork as well, if youre a member of course.

11011500a
04-28-2009, 8:06 PM
Ask the store you are buying from

keepyerpowderdry
04-28-2009, 8:38 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I didn't get into the specifics at the store because we just paid off one car and received a new title in the mail and I thought it had the new address.

Thanks for the AAA suggestion, we are members and probably always will be. Haven't needed their service in a while but when I have, I've sure been glad.

Fortunately, the process got started today so I have a few days to get it sorted out.

keepyerpowderdry
05-03-2009, 7:11 PM
As a follow-up because I thought this might be useful, I went to AAA with the intent on changing the address on my car registration. I came armed with a bank statement, water bill and a mailed pay-stub from my employer.

The clerk had me fill out the change of address form, 5 minutes effort. Upon returning it to him signed, he processed the change of address. Despite providing proof of my new address, he took none of that information into consideration and printed out a new reg card on the spot. Total time in the branch was probably 15 minutes without an appointment.

It was a little creepy how easy it was after becoming accustomed to spending so much time at the DMV. BTW, the soonest the DMV could see me was a week out. As far as I'm concerned, small things like this definitely make AAA membership worthwhile.

yakmon
05-03-2009, 7:22 PM
i might be wrong, but i think i used a power bill to establish proof of residency when i bought my XD

ke6guj
05-03-2009, 7:32 PM
i might be wrong, but i think i used a power bill to establish proof of residency when i bought my XDhttp://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

masstransit
05-04-2009, 5:29 AM
dont forget a fishign liscense. you can usually buy it right there in the store and then u can turn around and use it as your second form of id next to a picture id. And...the info will be current and correct being as u just bought it. thinks is 35 dollars now. its a fast 35 dollar fix to a bull**** problem. just as a poitn of fact we shoudl all buy our firearms in cali this way just to show them how retarded the laws are.

CaliforniaLiberal
05-04-2009, 5:47 AM
The bottom line is whatever ID the FFL requires. Many gun purchasers have gone round and round with FFLs about the letter of the law.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

California Residency Requirement
No firearms dealer may deliver a handgun unless the intended recipient presents satisfactory
documentation indicating that he or she is a California resident. Satisfactory documentation includes
a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, military
permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency
as permitted by the Department of Justice. Acceptable documentation does not include passports,
account statements from financial institutions, or pay stubs. (Penal Code 12071(b)(8).)

Last time I did a PPT the FFL required a fishing license as "Government ID". Fishing licenses just happened to be available at the counter on the other side of the store. Wouldn't take my SMUD bill property deed. His license, his shop, his rules.

Ask the shop where you're buying.

CL

PS You can also request a new car registration online from DMV. Mine was lost. Took about two months to come in the mail.

paintballergb
05-04-2009, 6:34 AM
This just happened to me. For whatever reason tax paperwork isn't accepted. I used my absentee ballot paperwork to show my new address(since my name isn't on any of the bills). Also you can go into the DMV and pay $5 for a printout that shows your address once it is changed.

barrykay
05-04-2009, 6:52 PM
dont forget a fishign liscense. you can usually buy it right there in the store and then u can turn around and use it as your second form of id next to a picture id. And...the info will be current and correct being as u just bought it. thinks is 35 dollars now. its a fast 35 dollar fix to a bull**** problem. just as a poitn of fact we shoudl all buy our firearms in cali this way just to show them how retarded the laws are.

To bad you don't know jack of which you talk Mr. FUD:mad:

masstransit
05-10-2009, 8:09 AM
i guess im mr FUD. not sure how or why. cause this is how i purchased my last cal legal semi auto .223 from wild sports here in sac. :gene:

CaliforniaLiberal
05-10-2009, 8:26 AM
Gosh barrykay, you sure are smart! I bet you were top of your class in TROLL SCHOOL.:thumbsup:

BigDogatPlay
05-10-2009, 8:58 AM
I've used the bill from the city water department on many occassions. Never had a problem yet.

Dr. Flesh Bot
05-10-2009, 9:19 AM
I used my absentee ballot paperwork to show my new address(since my name isn't on any of the bills).

+1 for ballot paperwork.

I've used the official sample ballot/voter information pamphlet as my secondary proof of residency for all of my firearm purchases.

scr83jp
05-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I always used my edison bill to show proof of residency for weapons purchases.

ke6guj
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
i guess im mr FUD. not sure how or why. cause this is how i purchased my last cal legal semi auto .223 from wild sports here in sac. :gene:Are you talking about a rifle or a handgun? If a rifle, POR is not required for long gun sales. If a handgun, a hunting/fishing license is not an acceptable POR per CADOJ. But if your FFL is willing to risk his license by accepting a hunting/fishing license as handgun POR, then good luck to him in the future.

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
Cellular phone bill.

masstransit
05-13-2009, 4:28 AM
well... wild sports in sac ; the only place i have ever purchased any firearms. all of which were long guns. all of which i was required by the store to show proof of residency and it was either my DMV with matching address on my Cali DL or a Cali fishing lisc. which does pass as a goverment ID and a signed affidavit. I guess the other cats who used simular forms of ID are promoting FUD too.

:thumbsup:

i wont write BarryKay off as a troll. with 67 posts he/she is a bit past that.

and to Kebguj.....seriuosly? a Cal legal...semi-auto .223 ... bought IN-STORE .....locally in california...here in Sacramento at that...and you have to ask if the firearm is a long gun? With all the "facts" you "seem" to know. really? u had to ask. i mean..really? hmmm cali legal from wild sports... Ruger ranch rifle.. or hmm..that welded bottem .223 from colt...oh and Kel-tec SU16...i cant come up with any cali legal .223 pistol sold IN-STORE. i am not up on things though. oh and where would i find the .223 shotty. i know of a few hybrid over and unders...really you had to ask after stating all those "facts" of yours? lol

just realized you have been on these boards 4 years Kebguj....seriuosly?

RANDO
05-13-2009, 4:43 AM
To bad you don't know jack of which you talk Mr. FUD:mad:

So I used my California DL and my L.E.S.(military pay stub) recently should that have been accepted? This place I went to had accepted fishing licenses in the past.

ke6guj
05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
well... wild sports in sac ; the only place i have ever purchased any firearms. all of which were long guns. all of which i was required by the store to show proof of residency and it was either my DMV with matching address on my Cali DL or a Cali fishing lisc. which does pass as a goverment ID and a signed affidavit. I guess the other cats who used simular forms of ID are promoting FUD too.

:thumbsup:well, CA does not require POR for long gun purchases. So, it appears that the store may have its own POR policy for long guns. Some dealers do this, IIRC, Big5 does as well.

How is it FUD stating that CADOJ says that a CA hunting/fishing license is not acceptable as POR for a handgun purchase? A hunting/fishing license is not issued by the state or .gov entity, so the state has no way of validating the info on it.

The fact that some dealers are accepting hunting/fishing licenses as POR, even though it does not meet the POR standards set by CADOJ and is specifically refered to as not acceptable as POR, doesn't make it right.

There are federal rules about POR as well. It does not appear that a store-issued hunting/fishing license would work to establish POR federally either.

i wont write BarryKay off as a troll. with 67 posts he/she is a bit past that.

and to Kebguj.....seriuosly? a Cal legal...semi-auto .223 ... bought IN-STORE .....locally in california...here in Sacramento at that...and you have to ask if the firearm is a long gun? With all the "facts" you "seem" to know. really? u had to ask. i mean..really? hmmm cali legal from wild sports... Ruger ranch rifle.. or hmm..that welded bottem .223 from colt...oh and Kel-tec SU16...i cant come up with any cali legal .223 pistol sold IN-STORE. i am not up on things though. oh and where would i find the .223 shotty. i know of a few hybrid over and unders...really you had to ask after stating all those "facts" of yours? lol

just realized you have been on these boards 4 years Kebguj....seriuosly?

Yup, seriously. since I don't know the specifics of the transaction, I didn't want to ASSume anything. I don't know if you are an LEO that can purchase an off-roster handgun, or if it was a cosignment sale that a buyer mistakenly said he bought from the dealer.

masstransit
05-17-2009, 2:56 AM
yay! Kebguy. you expressed yourself much better that time. and yes i think its just a case of the specific store policies.

jlchavis0844
05-17-2009, 1:12 PM
As a follow-up because I thought this might be useful, I went to AAA with the intent on changing the address on my car registration. I came armed with a bank statement, water bill and a mailed pay-stub from my employer.

The clerk had me fill out the change of address form, 5 minutes effort. Upon returning it to him signed, he processed the change of address. Despite providing proof of my new address, he took none of that information into consideration and printed out a new reg card on the spot. Total time in the branch was probably 15 minutes without an appointment.

It was a little creepy how easy it was after becoming accustomed to spending so much time at the DMV. BTW, the soonest the DMV could see me was a week out. As far as I'm concerned, small things like this definitely make AAA membership worthwhile.

I had sort of them problem with proof of residency. MY Driver's license expired and I never received a renewal notice. I went to the DMV, renewed my License, took a new picture, passed the eyes test, and did the thumb print thing in 15 - 20 min with no appointment at the DMV. Just showed up at 8:00 and was done by 8:30. The DMV is not that bad. Didn't even have to be late to work. Recieved new DL a little over a week later.

Wyseguy
05-17-2009, 4:19 PM
Tell um' " if it's good enough for the president, it's good enough for me", and then don't provide anything. LOL

Dieseldog
05-18-2009, 3:41 PM
DOn't forget that you need a DL with an address that matches the one on the POR. Some deals will turn you away if they don't match. If your licsence still has the old address, get the change of address card from DMV.

Trader Jack
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
DOn't forget that you need a DL with an address that matches the one on the POR. Some deals will turn you away if they don't match. If your licsence still has the old address, get the change of address card from DMV.

More FUD and B.S. Your drivers license does NOT have to match anything. You do not need a brown card or any other card. What needs to match is the same name and address on the DROS and the 4473. If the DL does not match, no big deal just have a POR that matches those on the DROS and the 4473.:chris:

jlchavis0844
05-18-2009, 10:08 PM
More FUD and B.S. Your drivers license does NOT have to match anything. You do not need a brown card or any other card. What needs to match is the same name and address on the DROS and the 4473. If the DL does not match, no big deal just have a POR that matches those on the DROS and the 4473.:chris:

Not according to my FFL. They said federal guidelines changed about 3 months ago. Take it with a grain of salt though.

ac427cpe
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
voter registration works too.

cousinkix1953
05-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm sure this will be a quick question, I couldn't find a decent answer online elsewhere.

I am in process of purchasing a handgun and need to prove current residency. We moved back in December so all of our car registrations have the old address. I can update the address using the online DMV form but it states that they do not mail a new registration.

To obtain a new registration with the current address, will I need to make an appointment at the DMV? (this was not one of the selections for making an appointment)

It sounds like a notarized copy of our rental agreement might suffice, how about our tax documents?

This must be a fairly common issue, open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
There is an election tomorrow! Did you re-register to vote in Kalifornia, when you moved back here? That would provide them more proof of your current living address, as the county elections offices needs your mailing address to send sample ballots. If govt. issued documents aren't good enough for another govt agency - these beauracrats have their heads up their a----- sideways...

qaz987
05-19-2009, 7:32 AM
Last year I had an old NIB 10/22 shipped in to CA. The FFL wanted POR before he'd release it. He claimed he didn't know if it was an ATF or DOJ requirement. Had to call DOJ to get my rifle out of lockdown.

I guess he didn't want anymore of my money.