PDA

View Full Version : would now be the right time for CCW in contra costa county?

spddrcr
04-28-2009, 6:52 PM
so with all the latest news about the DA not prosecuting misdemeanors in CCC, do you guys think i have a chance of getting a CCW? a little background first. about 2 years ago i was jumped at the jack in the box by a couple of wanted gang bangers with outstanding warrants for attempted murder and a whole host of other things. I did what i had to do to keep myself safe and alive and within 20 minutes of the attack the 2 were in custody. I was even called by the head of the gang taskforce in concord to come in to the concord police department where i was thanked for helping put away to people they have been trying to get for a little over a year.

fast forward to last year, It was 3 in the morning and i heard my front door open and close, as i start to go towards the front door from the back of my house i see someone poke their head around my kitchen door. to make a long story short the police came and after questioning me for about 5 mins i asked them if they were going to get the guy who was 3 houses down trying to get into another house. they got him and it turned out he was friends with the two bangers i had the run in with, he had a large survival style knife in his bag and he was also wanted for several sex crimes and a slew of other warrents.

I figure those situations alone is enough good cause for a CCW but on top of that im also disabled and i dont know if i could fight off an attacker at this point. I do take part in several shooting matches each month and not really worried about passing a training course or a background check as i have a sqeeky clean record.

now with the DA playing games in CCC and reporting that he wont prosecute some crimes im thinking i need to get going on filling the apps and taking the training course. police response time in my area of concord is already pretty slow and the sheriff's department is non existant.

you guys think i have a chance? or should i just wait and see what rulings come down in the next few months?
thanks for your time and the wealth of information on the site:thumbsup:

WokMaster1
04-28-2009, 7:37 PM
3am? Was your door locked?

Here's my take. I live in the same county. I would love to see what Gene say to applying for CCW in CoCo. There might be something brewing first like taking down the handgun safe list.

But talk to Gene & see if there is a strategy that CGF has or planning.

spddrcr
04-28-2009, 8:22 PM
thats pretty much why i posted here first before just taking the plunge, dont want to ruin anyone else's chances:thumbsup:

oh and the door was locked but not deadbolted. I have problems sleeping due to muscular dystrophy and often spend time on my porch browsing the web, I had just come in about 10 mins before the guy came in and i forgot to lock the deadbolt. the cops found a tool in his bag that he could slide through the regular latch to unlock the door

Experimentalist
04-28-2009, 8:26 PM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I say apply. You have nothing to lose aside from the application fee, and possibly a life-saving tool to gain.

Librarian
04-28-2009, 8:53 PM
Limited mobility, so retreat and 'run away' do not apply, plus credible threats backed by police reports of real danger.

In a sane world, that would qualify as 'good cause'.

My guess is CCC is not part of a sane world - I live here, too - but you lose nothing and endanger nothing by trying to apply.

(Well, you may lose your faith in righteousness when you get denied out of hand ...)

WokMaster1
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
There was a guy in Solano county who was denied & took the county to court. Ruled in his favor but what happened after that?

OP, get a game plan together & see if Calguns Foundation will back you up or at least advise you. I think we are better off now that Nordyke has incorporated the 2nd A in California.

spddrcr
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM
ive decided to start the process first thing in the morning, unless of course anyone has any real reason i shouldnt. it's kind of funny as even my wife is rooting me on to do it, she's been a teacher for 12 years here and is as liberal as they come:rolleyes:

berto
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Good for you. Please keep us posted.

retired
04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Why not send a post to BWeise or Gene before you do just in case, like WokMaster hinted at, they have something already in the mix.

Just an idea.

nicki
04-29-2009, 4:20 AM
Jim March used to be a Contra Costa resident and his infamous battles and CCW research cam about because of Sheriff Rupf.

The bottom line is Contra Costa will be one of the counties that it will take a lawsuit to make things happen.

Right now the best thing would be for you to network with people in Contra Costa county so that you would not be alone.

Lawsuits require some investment. Most of us don't have a spare 10 to 15K sitting around for a lawsuit. However, if you had 100 people, now you have dropped the cost down to under 200 dollars a head.

Plus you now have a core of people who can start working on the court of public opinion.

Nicki

CSDGuy
04-29-2009, 7:37 AM
Just make sure that you can articulate the issue for defending yourself OUTSIDE of your home. Otherwise, they'll kick it back to and say that it is legal for you to CCW in your home or place of business... and deny the CCW.