PDA

View Full Version : Your Brady Update

Dont Tread on Me
04-28-2009, 2:33 PM
Looks like June 17 will be a good day to contact the mental midgets in Sacramento.

To: CA Brady Campaign Contact List

1. Welcome New CA Contacts!
2. Join us for the California Brady Campaign Chapters' Lobby Day, June 17th!
3. New York Times editorial -- A Culture Soaked in Blood

************************************************** **************************************
1. With the seemingly never ending mass shootings all over the country and in California, many people have contacted the Brady Campaign to express their outrage and an interest to get involved. Those contacts from CA are now included on this e-mail list.

Welcome newcomers! I encourage you to visit our California Brady website at www.bradycampaign.org/California and get involved in your local county chapter listed below. If you don't have a chapter consider becoming a CA Brady Campaign Activist for your county (if interested reply to 1ofamillion@comcast.net). The work we do SAVES LIVES!

CA Brady County Activists/Chapters
Chico State chicostatebrady@aol.com
Contra Costa County contracostammm@yahoo.com
Greater Kern County sismoutique@yahoo.com
Long Beach longbeachbrady@yahoo.com
Los Angeles BradyCampaignLA@verizon.net
Marin County marinctbrady@yahoo.com
Napa County engineering@nuvisionnet.net
Nevada County mmmnevadaco@nacctel.com
Oakland/Alameda County oaklandbradychapter@yahoo.com
Orange County OrangeCountyBradyChapter@gmail.com
Riverside County reneecainnanna@gmail.com
Sacramento Valley mmmnevadaco@nacctel.com
San Diego County safecity07-public@yahoo.com
San Fernando Valley sfvmillionmoms@socal.rr.com
San Francisco bradycampaignsf@yahoo.com
San Mateo County sanmateobradymmm@yahoo.com
Santa Barbara County sbbradycampaign@yahoo.com
Santa Clara County sanmateobradymmm@yahoo.com
Solano County solanocountybrady@gmail.com
Sonoma County ellenboneparth@gmail.com
Ventura County vcmmm1@aol.com
West Contra Costa wccsf@yahoo.com
************************************************** *************************************
2. Mark your calendars for Wednesday, June 17th. The CA Brady Chapters will be lobbying their legislators in Sacramento on that day. Our priority bill this session is AB 962 (DeLeon) -- Ammunition regulation. Join us in Sacramento! (contact 1ofamillion@comcast.net for more information.)

Assembly Members De Leon, Bonnie Lowenthal, Paul Krekorian and Sandre Swanson held a press conference on CA gun violence and legislation on April 20th. The following is some of the news coverage that resulted:

KCRA Channel 3: Will bill encroach on gun rights? Kevin Riggs reports: http://www.kcra.com/video/19235277/index.html

KGO Channel 7: Lawmaker targets ammunition rather than guns Nanette Miranda reports:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/politics&id=6771477
INSIDE POLITICS

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/21/BARD176263.DTL&hw=wyatt+buchanan&sn=002&sc=919

Bill would require ammo sellers to be licensed, ban online sales

SF Chronicle

Wyatt Buchanan

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On the 10th anniversary of the deadly Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colo., California lawmakers announced new efforts Monday to keep guns and ammunition away from people who are barred from possessing those items.

Assemblyman Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, is backing a bill to require people who sell handgun ammunition to be licensed. It would also require sellers to conduct business face-to-face, bar Internet and mail-order sales, and require a thumbprint and other identifying information of people who buy ammo.
Such information would be given to state officials who could check it against the rolls of people barred from possessing ammunition. Sacramento enforces such limitations and the chief of police said Monday that 50 people have been arrested since the rules took effect in January 2008.

De Leon said the bill would close "dangerous loopholes" in California law. A similar bill that aimed to stop sales of ammunition to prohibited people died in the state Senate last year.

Another bill, introduced by Assemblyman Paul Krekorian, D-Burbank, would establish a new procedure for people who are barred from possessing guns to relinquish those weapons.

This article appeared on page B - 4 of the San Francisco Chronicle

************************************************** ****************************************
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/opinion/25herbert.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1240657591-XrZ/1K5FWBZUSms+jPRirA

April 25, 2009

A Culture Soaked in Blood
By BOB HERBERT

Guns.

Philip Markoff, a medical student, supposedly carried his semiautomatic in a hollowed-out volume of “Gray’s Anatomy.” Police believe he used it in a hotel room in Boston last week to murder Julissa Brisman, a 26-year-old woman who had advertised her services as a masseuse on Craigslist.

In Palm Harbor, Fla., a 12-year-old boy named Jacob Larson came across a gun in the family home that, according to police, his parents had forgotten they had. Jacob shot himself in the head and is in a coma, police said. Authorities believe the shooting was accidental.

There is no way to overstate the horror of gun violence in America. Roughly 16,000 to 17,000 Americans are murdered every year, and more than 12,000 of them, on average, are shot to death. This is an insanely violent society, and the worst of that violence is made insanely easy by the widespread availability of guns.

When the music producer Phil Spector decided, for whatever reason, to kill the actress, Lana Clarkson, all he had to do was reach for his gun — one of the 283 million privately owned firearms that are out there. When John Muhammad and his teenage accomplice, Lee Malvo, went on a killing spree that took 10 lives in the Washington area, the absolute least of their worries was how to get a semiautomatic rifle that fit their deadly mission.

We’re confiscating shampoo from carry-on luggage at airports while at the same time handing out high-powered weaponry to criminals and psychotics at gun shows.

There were ceremonies marking the recent 10th anniversary of the shootings at Columbine High School, but very few people remember a mass murder just five months after Columbine, when a man with a semiautomatic handgun opened fire on congregants praying in a Baptist church in Fort Worth. Eight people died, including the gunman, who shot himself.

A little more than a year before the Columbine killings, two boys with high-powered rifles killed a teacher and four little girls at a school in Jonesboro, Ark. That’s not widely remembered either. When something is as pervasive as gun violence in the U.S., which is as common as baseball in the summertime, it’s very hard for individual cases to remain in the public mind.

Homicides are only a part of the story.

While more than 12,000 people are murdered with guns annually, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (using the latest available data) tells us that more than 30,000 people are killed over the course of one typical year by guns. That includes 17,000 who commit suicide, nearly 800 who are killed in accidental shootings and more than 300 killed by the police. (In many of the law enforcement shootings, the police officers are reacting to people armed with guns).

And then there are the people who are shot but don’t die. Nearly 70,000 fall into that category in a typical year, including 48,000 who are criminally attacked, 4,200 who survive a suicide attempt, more than 15,000 who are shot accidentally, and more than 1,000 — many with a gun in possession — who are shot by the police.

The medical cost of treating gunshot wounds in the U.S. is estimated to be well more than $2 billion annually. And the Violence Policy Center, a gun control advocacy group, has noted that nonfatal gunshot wounds are the leading cause of uninsured hospital stays.

The toll on children and teenagers is particularly heartbreaking. According to the Brady Campaign, more than 3,000 kids are shot to death in a typical year. More than 1,900 are murdered, more than 800 commit suicide, about 170 are killed accidentally and 20 or so are killed by the police.

Another 17,000 are shot but survive.

I remember writing from Chicago two years ago about the nearly three dozen public school youngsters who were shot to death in a variety of circumstances around the city over the course of just one school year. Arne Duncan, who was then the chief of the Chicago schools and is now the U.S. secretary of education, said to me at the time: “That’s more than a kid every two weeks. Think about that.”

Actually, that’s our problem. We don’t really think about it. If the crime is horrible enough, we’ll go through the motions of public anguish but we never really do anything about it. Americans are as blasé as can be about this relentless slaughter that keeps the culture soaked in blood.

This blasé attitude, this willful refusal to acknowledge the scope of the horror, leaves the gun nuts free to press their crazy case for more and more guns in ever more hands. They’re committed to keeping the killing easy, and we should be committed for not stopping them.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
CA Brady Chapters:
www.bradycampaign.org/CA

Theseus
04-28-2009, 2:40 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/opinion/25herbert.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1240657591-XrZ/1K5FWBZUSms+jPRirA

April 25, 2009

A Culture Soaked in Blood
By BOB HERBERT

In Palm Harbor, Fla., a 12-year-old boy named Jacob Larson came across a gun in the family home that, according to police, his parents had forgotten they had. Jacob shot himself in the head and is in a coma, police said. Authorities believe the shooting was accidental.

How the hell do you forget that you have a gun? Talk about irresponsible!

Window_Seat
04-28-2009, 2:53 PM
We’re confiscating shampoo from carry-on luggage at airports while at the same time handing out high-powered weaponry to criminals and psychotics at gun shows.

Remember folks, it doesn't just take the BC to pull these kinds of shenanigans when you also have the DHS backing them up by saying that gun owners & veterans are terrorists. Even after Nordyke, we still have an uphill in both directions...

Erik.

KCM222
04-28-2009, 3:00 PM
I tried to sign up for the Brady newsletter on 4-20 in hopes of getting a nice email about Nordyke, but uncontrollable vomiting induced by their website cut my search short.

avdrummerboy
04-28-2009, 3:02 PM
Well, I'm gonna email a few statistics to each of the email addresses every day and let them know the real truth about guns.

JDay
04-28-2009, 3:47 PM
I tried to sign up for the Brady newsletter on 4-20 in hopes of getting a nice email about Nordyke, but uncontrollable vomiting induced by their website cut my search short.

Don't sign up for their newsletter, you'll be added to their number of supporters.

1BigPea
04-28-2009, 4:13 PM
Well, I'm gonna email a few statistics to each of the email addresses every day and let them know the real truth about guns.

Send them this... http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/articles-memoranda-and-commentary/78-commentary/418.html

from this thread...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=178030

I actually will be doing that as well...from a new email address I make because I don't even want to deal with all of their crazy responses. :eek:

1BigPea
04-28-2009, 4:27 PM
Uh oh...that link doesnt work anymore...

This one does...

http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/articles-memoranda-and-commentary/78-commentary/418.html

remington
04-28-2009, 7:11 PM
The problerm is they will have a presence on the 17th. We most likley wont.

Amacias805
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Washington, DC – The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals today upheld Alameda County’s ordinance banning possession and sales of firearms on county-owned property, that was enacted to end gun shows on county fairgrounds.

“We are pleased that the court recognized that the Second Amendment does not prevent state and local governments from enacting common-sense gun laws,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

The decision in Nordyke v. King is the first federal appeals court decision deciding whether a gun law violates the Second Amendment since the U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down the District of Columbia’s handgun ban in District of Columbia v. Heller issued in June 2008.

doesn't look like the Brady campaign is too concerned with Nordyke. both sides has toted this as a win.

so the question is, who is the real winner?

hoffmang
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Hrm... What to file on June 15... :31:

-Gene

wildhawker
04-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Hrm... What to file on June 15... :31:

-Gene

Something uber-evil, if at all possible. Timing is everything.

jasilva
04-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm thinking if I can get names to go with the email addy list I'll sign them up for the NAMBLA newsletter or something equally fun.:31:

rrr70
04-29-2009, 8:08 AM
Doesn't Brady have an FFL?

Sleepy1988
04-29-2009, 8:46 AM
Remember folks, it doesn't just take the BC to pull these kinds of shenanigans when you also have the DHS backing them up by saying that gun owners & veterans are terrorists. Even after Nordyke, we still have an uphill in both directions...

Erik.

Imo it just shows that in their hearts gun confiscation is what they really want, and that we're all "criminals and psychotics".

Amacias805
04-29-2009, 5:18 PM
I'm thinking if I can get names to go with the email addy list I'll sign them up for the NAMBLA newsletter or something equally fun.:31:

:rofl2:

highpowermatch
04-29-2009, 6:16 PM
brady :puke: