PDA

View Full Version : Buying 50+Year old Long gun and shipping.

Frijolito1988
04-28-2009, 1:18 PM
Ok guys, so im wondering if this is legit or not. It makes perfect sense to me , BUT is there a reason why this is not done more often or is not widely known ? Too much of a risk ?

Here are some quotes i got from a diffrent thread;

DFletcher is right, if both buyer and seller are California residents, a transfer of a 50 year old long gun can be directly through the mail. The seller needs to take reasonable effort to assure that the buyer is a Cali resident, and not in a prohibited class. Signing an innocuous statement and getting a copy of DL seems to suffice.

Shipping 50 yr long guns between private individuals in CA may be done directly.

No C & R required. No FFL. No DROS.

It is impossible to prove a negative.

FFL is only required for transactions which cross state lines, and in that case is only required for the receiving party.

For transactions within the state the mail (or fedex or ups etc.) simply acts as the common carrier (kind of like an extension of your arm)

Example

John wants to buy a 1950 Russian SKS from Bob in Sacramento. John lives in Los Angeles, can Bob ship the SKS to John in Los Angeles ? Both them are CA residents and dont have an 03FFL. And lets say John sends a copy of his CDL to Bob as reference. Is this legal and doable ?

Thanks

EBR Works
04-28-2009, 1:52 PM
Short answer, yes.

Gunaria
04-28-2009, 2:02 PM
A lot of people are just too scared and want to CTYA. I could not find a Cali law that said that a private citizen can not ship to another non- prohibited private citizen a 50 yr. old long gun within the state of CA.

If both parties are comfortable with each other then they should go ahead with the transaction. They are not breaking any laws.

Just remember I am not a lawyer.

5150Marcelo
04-28-2009, 8:30 PM
I would think so, but i am unclear. Hopefully you find what you need. GL

paul0660
04-28-2009, 8:38 PM
yes, yes, YES. Transfers between California residents have to be done via an FFL UNLESS they are long gun antiques (100 years old or more) or long gun curios and relics or over 50 years old. The term transfers does not assume FTF, PPT, or any of the other terms we are familiar with. Welcome to the light, dim as it may be.

jacques
04-28-2009, 9:00 PM
I belive people will be unclear on the requirements and will belive whatever they hear at the local gunshop. This could be any numerous take offs of what is reality.

I have asked all 3 shops in this town if they would take shipment of a shotgun sent directly from an individual in state and have received 3-different answers. None of them a yes.

CMP will ship a garand to your front door.

Frijolito1988
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, Keep em coming.