PDA

View Full Version : Selling pre-bans

mj1
04-28-2009, 1:26 PM
I have a friend who wants to sell his preban semi to a dealer in Arizona. Any one done this lately? I did this twenty years ago and just recorded the buyers FFL and sent a copy to DOJ. Has anything changed?

TIA
MJ

DDT
04-28-2009, 1:39 PM
Preban what? If it's a RAW then you have to ship via an AW permitted FFL. You have no obligation to "unregister" AFAIK but there is a provision for "Voluntary Cancellation" of the registration.

978.33 Voluntary Cancellations
(a) The Department will accept voluntary cancellations for assault weapons that are no longer possessed by the registrant. Cancellations will also be accepted for assault weapons, defined and registered pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1, that have been modified or reconfigured to no longer meet the assault weapon definition.
Cancellation requests must be signed, dated, and provide the following information:
(1) Registrant’s full name, telephone number, and current address; make, model, and serial number of the assault weapon; and the DOJ assault weapon registration number (as indicated on the registration confirmation letter provided to the registrant at the time of registration). If the DOJ assault weapon registration number is unknown, the request must be notarized.

(b) After confirmation of the information provided on the cancellation request, the Department will permanently delete the registration for the specified assault weapon(s). If there are no remaining assault weapons registered to the individual, all personal information regarding the registrant will also be deleted from the assault weapon data base. The Department will mail confirmation of the cancellation to the address provided on the request.

If you're talking about preban magazines I am pretty sure there is not an "out of state" exemption for sales by non-permitted persons. which means you would have to carry them to the out of state dealer or break them down into "rebuild kits" to ship them out.

JDay
04-28-2009, 2:46 PM
If he has registered assault weapons he should keep them, they are not replaceable.