PDA

View Full Version : where fellow LEOs get ARs

1*mike
04-28-2009, 8:23 AM
im in the Bay Area and looking to get an AR (w/ Chief's letter). Im open to RRA, Colt, and Bushmaster. I dont know anything about S&W or the many others. Do you guys have any advice where to go and even what to get.

I have a millenium light and C-mor so I just need a m4 flat top platform

thanks

1*

.45shooter
04-28-2009, 9:03 AM
LC action in san jose or build your own!

1911su16b870
04-28-2009, 9:07 AM
Negative on building your own, unless the dealer who sells you the lower, dros-es it to you as an AW. Does LC Action have an AW permit and dros lowers as AW?

1*mike
04-28-2009, 9:11 AM
I know about LC but the wait is up to a year for a colt...do they sell non-colt???

CaliTheKid
04-28-2009, 9:14 AM
Proforce in Brea. Don't know if they can ship and AW.

gunrun45
04-28-2009, 9:43 AM
You do not have to DROS it as an AW when purchased. You can buy it as an OLL, get the chief's letter (names make, model and serial #) and submit to DOJ along with DOJ AW reg form. Trust me, it has been done.

I don't recomend building your own though for liability reasons. Colt's are not all that by the way... They have some serious quality problems as of late.

1*mike
04-28-2009, 9:53 AM
You do not have to DROS it as an AW when purchased. You can buy it as an OLL, get the chief's letter (names make, model and serial #) and submit to DOJ along with DOJ AW reg form. Trust me, it has been done.

I don't recomend building your own though for liability reasons. Colt's are not all that by the way... They have some serious quality problems as of late.

SO what other brands besides Colt would you recommend??

1*mike
04-28-2009, 9:55 AM
Proforce in Brea. Don't know if they can ship and AW.

ok I think I saw them at Urban Shield

AJAX22
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
You might want to consider building an off list colt up, that way you don't have to give the rifle up anytime down the road, just convert it back to non AW configuration and submit the nececary paperwork.

1911su16b870
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM

If you can use an OLL and reg it as an AW, that is great. I was thinking that after you get the chief's letter, you have 90 days to acquire the AW and submit the forms to BOF. I thought the place you get the AW or OLL has to have an AW permit from BOF in order to sell it/transfer it to you. If you could pm me or post here how to reg an OLL into a AW, that would be great. Thanks gunrun45!

homerm14
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
im in the Bay Area and looking to get an AR (w/ Chief's letter). Im open to RRA, Colt, and Bushmaster. I dont know anything about S&W or the many others. Do you guys have any advice where to go and even what to get.

thanks

1*

My first one I purchased before 2000 so no problems there. Now we get or RRA's factory direct. Sorry that probably does'nt help much. Try calling RRA or Colt if you prefer. You could also check Gunbroker, some shops out of state are willing to ship to Ca if you have letter head.

CaliTheKid
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
SO what other brands besides Colt would you recommend??

From good authority Colts hold up the best. Bushmasters seem to have a LOT of issue. RAA are in the middle.

Digital_Boy
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Question/opinion from a non-LEO:
Are you limited to AR-15 type rifles only? For the money you'd pay for a Colt, perhaps you might consider something like a Robinson XCR in 5.56. They accept all the AR accessories (tactical handgrip lights, holosights, etcetera), and by all accounts are less maintenance intensive than the AR platform.

I do have a friend who's a LEO in Georgia who owns a heavy barrel XCR in 5.56, which is his trunk gun, and he prefers it to the AR.

gunrun45
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
I highly recomend CMMG, LMT and Bushmaster. I have versions of each and they all perform well. I have recently seen Colt LE models choke in training due to bolt issues, spring issues and feed ramp issues. My last dept issue true M4 (class III) was a bushmaster and it ran without a hickup. I have also owned several bushmasters without issue in various dressings.

Persomnally, I think the LMT's are the top of the heap for general LE use right now.

It is very simple to register an OLL as an AW as a LEO.
1) Aquire OLL via normal routes at FFL.
2) Obtain letter from your chief or sheriff that you work for. At the same time you can obtain the form from DOJ firearms to register it as a AW. It is the same 1/2 page form everyone else filled out back in 1999 believe it or not.
3) Submit the completed DOJ registration form and the ORIGINAL letter from your chief. Keep a copy of both for your records.
4) When you get your confirmation letter back from DOJ you are good to go to remove your BB or whatever you used to keep your OLL legal. It is now a registered AW in your name and you no longer need it. Technically though you are good to go the minute you get your chief's letter to aquire the letter. Every AW I purchased on letterhead I picked up the same day and submitted paperwork on ASAP to DOJ firearms.

I have several LEO friends who have obtained AW's in this manner.

fourXfour
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm going to try the OLL/letter route as well. If you still want fully built AR, try Bullseye in San Rafael. They are very motivated to get into the LE market and they have a AW permit. Great place.

1911su16b870
04-28-2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks gunrun45 for the info! :)

CaliTheKid
04-28-2009, 1:37 PM
This is a very good thread on another forum on this topic. Worth a read.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=79773&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

nobody33
04-28-2009, 3:48 PM
http://www.phoenixlawenforcement.com/

And have it sent to a FFL with an AW permit.... still cheaper than buying one from a store here.

My department won't let us build up guns. It's all or nothing for liability reasons.

Jwood562
04-28-2009, 6:02 PM
I highly recomend CMMG, LMT and Bushmaster. I have versions of each and they all perform well. I have recently seen Colt LE models choke in training due to bolt issues, spring issues and feed ramp issues. My last dept issue true M4 (class III) was a bushmaster and it ran without a hickup. I have also owned several bushmasters without issue in various dressings.

Persomnally, I think the LMT's are the top of the heap for general LE use right now.

2) Obtain letter from your chief or sheriff that you work for. At the same time you can obtain the form from DOJ firearms to register it as a AW. It is the same 1/2 page form everyone else filled out back in 1999 believe it or not.
3) Submit the completed DOJ registration form and the ORIGINAL letter from your chief. Keep a copy of both for your records.
4) When you get your confirmation letter back from DOJ you are good to go to remove your BB or whatever you used to keep your OLL legal. It is now a registered AW in your name and you no longer need it. Technically though you are good to go the minute you get your chief's letter to aquire the letter. Every AW I purchased on letterhead I picked up the same day and submitted paperwork on ASAP to DOJ firearms.

I am trying this right now. The department I work for allows us to carry AR15s after going through training with them. I did and now I want to carry my RRA that I built from the gound up.

The problem came up that I want to carry it as an AW even though it was not registered as one. Every dealr and their mother was telling me I was SOL (S*** out of luck) or I had to send my gun out of state to an FFL and have them send it back to a AW dealer to start a new registartion to register as an AW.

Another member on here (jamesbob) pointed me to the DOJ. I called them up and I am now waiting on the paperwork they are sending. Now I just need a letter from my Dept to send to the DOJ to register my rifle as an AW. down side is that DOJ says it takes 60-90 days

Calm Down
04-28-2009, 6:17 PM
Metco #2 in Fairfield. 07 SOT/AW dealer. Mike and Paul are very LEO friendly. 4733 Central Way, Fairfield, CA. I purchased an OLL and received a letter from my Sheriff. I delivered the reg card, check and original letter to DOJ last week. They haven't cashed my check yet but I'm sure it will take a few more weeks. The receiver was made by Fidelis Arms Inc. They did a nice job on my custom lower. Several other deputies are now in the process of ordering their own lowers.

scootergmc
04-28-2009, 8:50 PM
1*Mike, if you feel like coming over to Sac, River City Gun Exchange can help you with your all your AW needs. Send a PM to donbing and ask him. They may have Colts and RRA in stock. I know they have Bushmasters in stock. They're really helpful and try to keep that stuff stocked.

BigDogatPlay
04-29-2009, 7:25 AM
Might also give Markell's in Santa Rosa a ring. His business is mostly in LEO only stuff.

sacshooter1
04-29-2009, 7:48 AM
I was down at River City Gun Exchange last week and they had just gotten a large shipment in. They had some Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, Sig, LWRC, Armalite and a few others in stock.

biglou
04-29-2009, 1:09 PM
I was at LC Action about a month ago and they were backordered on 80 Colts. Our dept used Bushmaster M4's with 14" barrels and never had any issues.

AR-shogun
04-29-2009, 4:37 PM
Well I am not a LEO however you might try this place. Some of my LEO friends have bought from them.
http://www.specializedarmament.com/
Jan

sac550
04-30-2009, 8:54 PM

Once you remove that BB you have manufactured an assault rifle. Peace officers are not allowed to manufacture an assault rifle, even with a letter from their COP. Read 12280(f)(2) and you will see. It doesn't allow a peace officer to "manufacture" an AW. That also means you can't buy a OLL and build your own. DOJ in the last two weeks has sent out several threatening letters to officers that have tried to reg the AW they built. The letter was very clear that officers are violating 12280(a) (not 12280b the wobbler section). They also sent back their $20 check.

I know of officers that have built their own and not gotten flagged by DOJ. Upon further investigation it was determined that those officer bought the OLL from a FFL with an AW permit. When DOJ got the officers reg paperwork they don't know it was just sold as a lower. DOJ is not cross checking the business on the blue reg card where you bough the weapon with those FFL's that have an AW permit.

So if you buy your OLL from a FFL WITHOUT an AW permit, DOJ will notice the FLL can't sell you a an AW and deny the reg.

Bottom line, 12280(f)(2) doesn't allow peace officers to "manufacture" an AW. You can only buy one. Stupid law, but when 12280(f)(2) was amending in 2002 they didn't think about peace officers building their own.

While I don't see a DA prosecuting an officer for a 12280(a) violation if they had a letter from their COP. It could end up as an IA case and a Pitches issue. It may also be a Brady problem for you.

matrix056
05-08-2009, 2:56 PM
Guys check out Adamson's in Hayward. All they sell to is LEO's. Last time I was there they had the Sig 556 SWAT version for $1300, with a letter of course.

DANGERCLOSE
05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
friend from work told me about a dealer / gun range in rancho cordova that has them in stock. i am not familiar with the area, so i am not sure. working on getting our letters too so this information will come in handy. thanks gents.

fullrearview
05-10-2009, 7:06 PM
What about JK???

didn't see that name yet.

grinchcop
05-10-2009, 7:17 PM
I have bought from both LC Action in San Jose and Allstate Police in Pomona. I have steered others towards Adamsons in Hayward (cheapest prices as of two weeks ago). All transactions involved Colt 6920's. One of them has had about 5000 rounds run through it in a fairly short period of time (a couple of training classes) and had zero issues. No weird breakages, no malfunctions, to strange wear patterns. The Colts also run 100% with PMags. I just wouldn't advise shooting the lacquer-coated Wolf ammo through them....

buggsb
05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
If you can use an OLL and reg it as an AW, that is great. I was thinking that after you get the chief's letter, you have 90 days to acquire the AW and submit the forms to BOF. I thought the place you get the AW or OLL has to have an AW permit from BOF in order to sell it/transfer it to you. If you could pm me or post here how to reg an OLL into a AW, that would be great. Thanks gunrun45!

I'd be interested in that info as well...thanks in advance for any advice....

7222 Hawker
05-11-2009, 1:21 AM

thanks

1*

LC Action. No question about it. They are great.

dro57
05-11-2009, 8:18 PM
... Colt's are not all that by the way... They have some serious quality problems as of late.

Ditto on that. Our whole inventory are Colts and one batch had the wrong size forward pivot pin. The last batch we got was stamped, manufactured in Canada of all places. So much for U.S. made.

Rodical
05-16-2009, 7:03 PM
If your smart, you'll get the Colt 6920 or LMT Defender, stands for Lewis Machine and Tool. These are top tier weapons and anything else is a waist of your money. I don't think some hear know what there talking about. Go to AR15.com and ask the many questions you have about a quality weapon you can trust your life with.