PDA

View Full Version : Aguila Super High velocity: Noticeable difference?

jt1911
04-27-2009, 6:05 PM
I have always kicked around the idea of picking up a GSG5. I love the look of them, ammo is dirt cheap, and I can shoot it anywhere. The one thing that always holds me back, since I have never shot one, is if a .22LR is just too tame for my tastes. I tend to like bigger, stronger, louder.

Someone told me that shooting a GSG5 with the Aguila Super High Velocity is much better than a standard .22LR round and makes a big difference in the experience. Is this true? Or still a .22 but louder.

Thanks! I just don't want to fork out the $ to find out it's too light of a round for my taste.

StraightShooter
04-27-2009, 6:20 PM
Just dont wear ear plugs...... it will be louder.

Seed
04-27-2009, 7:45 PM
Aguila does kick more then the other HV stuff. Not sure if it's significant enough to get your loud bang fix though. It's cheap(er) and fun though.

jt1911
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
It's not so much that I want ringing in my ears but more that I want to not have it feel like I'm shooting an airsoft gun. When I see the precision .22 rifle guys, it seems very close to that to me. So curious if the aguila changes that noticeably.

CHS
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I can hear and feel the bolt slapping against the rear recoil stop in my 10/22 with that ammo. It makes me cringe every time I shoot some of the stuff.

Now I only use it in a bolt gun.

The Aquila sniper sub-sonic is really fun stuff too. It's pretty quiet but you can hear the bullets "thud" into the dirt down range since they're so heavy.

ErikTheRed
04-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I just fired some Aguila sub-sonic this weekend...... it doesn't even have the power to cycle the bolt on my 10/22. 38 grain stuff too, not the heavy bullets. A decent pellet rifle makes more noise, and is probably more lethal.

jt1911
04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I heard to stay away from the sub-sonic.

I'm more interested in the interceptor & super high velocity rounds.

ErikTheRed
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I heard to stay away from the sub-sonic.

They'd be just fine for short-range plinking with a bolt-action or wheel gun, especially if you wanna shoot out of your bedroom window at 3:00AM and not wake the wife.

fairfaxjim
04-28-2009, 8:25 AM
The Aguila .22lr is not that much different than regular .22lr when you shoot it. The Super Maximum is a .30 gr. bullet that travels at 1740 fps muzzle velocity, the Interceptor is a 40 gr. bullet that does 1470. To compare that, the Remington Golden Bullet is a 36 gr. bullet that goes out at 1280 fps, Winchester white box is a 40 gr. bullet that has about 1250 fps muzzle velocity. Is it a little hotter, yes, but it is still a .22lr. Is it a life changing experience - no, not hardly. It does cycle the .22lr semi-auto's a bit crisper (or harder, and is probably not the best for the guns with lots of aluminum and plastic in their construction.) At around double the bulk pack .22 ammo, it is not the cheapest way to go, but it is still about 5 times cheaper than .223.

If you want something with some pop, you really probably are looking for an OLL where the .223 will definitely be more than an airsoft or pellet gun. Price is up there too. It sounds like you are not going to be .22lr material. However, some people start out un-believers, and then are converted to .22 fanatics.

SCMA-1
04-28-2009, 8:54 AM
I bought several bricks of the stuff from Miwall back when it was only $19 each. I like the ballistic performance of the round but I can't get any of my 22's to shoot it with decent accuracy:(.

SCMA-1

jt1911
04-28-2009, 9:23 AM
Thank you for the replies. It does feel like I'm just stretching to see if a .22 would suit me and I think it won't. Maybe I'll get to try one and see if I'm wrong. Thanks.

fairfaxjim
04-28-2009, 9:51 AM
Thank you for the replies. It does feel like I'm just stretching to see if a .22 would suit me and I think it won't. Maybe I'll get to try one and see if I'm wrong. Thanks.

That would be the best way. Like I said, some people, actually a lot of people, really like .22lr, you may just be one of them. I am one, and I really like a big bang too. I think EVERYONE should own at least one .22lr, really 2, a rifle and a handgun.

Good luck with your search.