PDA

View Full Version : 50 bmg upper

jamesob
04-27-2009, 6:55 PM
well me and a few other guys ( maybe calgunners )convinced a gb seller to sell a 50 bmg upper to us in california. he said me and a few others told him the legality of the 50. and had a change of heart. slowly we are correcting people of the laws. keep it up boys. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127761688

tomd1584
04-27-2009, 6:57 PM
I thought it had to be .50 DTC for here in CA? maybe i'm confused

Sunwolf
04-27-2009, 6:58 PM
Wow!Great!

jamesob
04-27-2009, 7:00 PM
I thought it had to be .50 DTC for here in CA? maybe i'm confusedthe folks who have registered ar's can put the bmg upper on their lower. i have a registered 50 bmg single shot lower and have been having trouble convincing people to sell me another upper.

yellowfin
04-27-2009, 7:19 PM
Is .50BMG sustainable on an AR platform? I didn't think the lower would take the abuse.

Intimid8tor
04-27-2009, 7:42 PM
Since we're talking about the .50BMG upper. Can a person that does not have a RAW posess a .50 BMG Upper if they never put it on the lower?

jamesob
04-27-2009, 8:15 PM
as far as i know it wouldn't be illegal but some say there might be constructive possesion

Spyder
04-27-2009, 8:31 PM
I've got an AR lower that carries a .510 DTC upper. The lower can handle it, no problems.

CHS
04-27-2009, 11:45 PM
as far as i know it wouldn't be illegal but some say there might be constructive possesion

There is no constructive possession of AW's in CA.

The .50BMG ban falls under the AW restrictions.

You can have a .50BMG upper in CA just fine and legal. Just be sure and only ever use it out of state, or while borrowing a friends RAW (under his supervision, of course).

aztecw
04-28-2009, 2:50 AM
Thanks guys. I've been wondering where to get one for a registered lower.

tomd1584
04-28-2009, 8:02 AM
the folks who have registered ar's can put the bmg upper on their lower. i have a registered 50 bmg single shot lower and have been having trouble convincing people to sell me another upper.

thanks for the clarification!

bwiese
04-28-2009, 9:04 AM
There is no constructive possession of AW's in CA.

The .50BMG ban falls under the AW restrictions.

Close, further technical clarification:

AW and 50BMG laws are separate but well-nigh identical;
registration entities for 50BMG and AW are separate categories;
law says a reg'd AW can be a 50BMG w/o separate 50BMG registration;
a reg'd 50BMG cannot be turned into a legal AW inside CA;
constructive possession not applicable to separated parts of 50BMG rifle;
despite lack of constructive possession, don't generally drive around with separated upper/lower halves, too much "DA bait"

oceanwest
04-30-2009, 4:09 PM
So if one has a registered AW, you are free to stick a .50 BMG upper on it even though the rifle is registered as say .308 or .223?

So one could have a gun case with the lower and both uppers, drive to a range that allows both, and freely switch between the two while shooting for the day?

I just want to be real clear on this!

How does one search this site for a 3 letter term like uhh, BMG? :)

bwiese
04-30-2009, 4:28 PM
So if one has a registered AW, you are free to stick a .50 BMG upper
on it even though the rifle is registered as say .308 or .223?

Yup. There's a specific exemption in the PC saying that reg'd AWs having a 50BMG
attribute don't need re-registration.

Also, reg'd AWs are really just registered via owner + make/model/serial#. The items
like caliber and barrel length is merely supplementary info and there's no crime for
changing calibers or bbl lengths.

Some folks including myself did register their SB23 AWs as multicaliber ("8888" in caliber field
on AW registration) just in case there would be drama around this issue, but there was not.
(There's no legal issue, either, in changing calibers on Roberti-Roos 'banned by name' registered
AWs either.)

So one could have a gun case with the lower and both uppers, drive to a range
that allows both, and freely switch between the two while shooting for the day?

Yes, providing it indeed is a registered AW (and not an OLL).

Again, note that registered 50BMGs are separate entities from registered AWs. However, one
should not do the converse of the above and take a registered 50BMG and add a suite of PC
12276.1PC AW features to it: that won't fly!

CSACANNONEER
04-30-2009, 4:43 PM
Is .50BMG sustainable on an AR platform? I didn't think the lower would take the abuse.

YES! Actually, 5.56 uppers (or any upper with a buffer tube) put more stress on the receiver than a bolt action upper will. The only things a lower does, on a 50BMG bolt gun, is hold the FCG in place and provide attachment points for a stock and PG.

oceanwest
04-30-2009, 4:43 PM
Thanks for explaining this. It seemed like this was the case but I wanted to make sure there would be no trouble!

If it was in a grey area I would rather just get a rifle in 510 DTC just to be safe.

Then again I might still do that so I don't beat up/have to alter a precious lower.

sfwdiy
04-30-2009, 4:49 PM
How does one search this site for a 3 letter term like uhh, BMG? :)

You can have google specify a specific website to search for a term. I can't seem to get it working at the moment.

--B

ETA: 'BMG site:calguns.net' in the Google search box should do the trick.