PDA

View Full Version : Shooting off the road?

Higbean
04-27-2009, 6:25 PM
In California, how far off the road do you need to be to legally discharge a fire arm?

E Pluribus Unum
04-27-2009, 6:36 PM
In California, how far off the road do you need to be to legally discharge a fire arm?

That depends. California law states one cannot be ON a roadway, as soon as one steps off the roadway in an unincorporated area, discharge of a firearm is usually lawful. Some counties have ordinances which further restrict discharge of a firearm. I know in Kern county one must be 50 feet from a structure. I am not sure if that is a State law or a county ordinance, but it is good practice anyway.

tba02
04-27-2009, 6:57 PM
Only 50 feet? I'm not arguing, truly looking for clarification. I might also assume that would not be a "habitable" structure?

- if that is the case, I need to contact the El Dorado county Sheriff and see what it is there. I relocated a range due to concerns about being too close to a structure. I was working off 1000 feet and it was +/- 50ft. I didn't care to push it.

cassius
04-27-2009, 7:04 PM
you'll have to check your local county laws as they often specify certain prohibited areas above and beyond the general state prohibitions about firing near inhabited dwellings, AT structures, or firing across a road.
Many shooting areas in national forests are literally the shoulder of unimproved / fire roads, usually designated by painted steel posts as marker signs (tougher for idiots to shoot those up).

Dark&Good
04-27-2009, 7:07 PM
The following might give you some clues, at least in regard with where to look next:
http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/faq/61-hunting-trapping-and-fishing/286-is-it-against-the-law-for-a-licensed-hunter-to-be-on-a-forest-service-road-with-a-loaded-rifle-in-the-vehicle-specifically-with-unexpended-cartridges-in-the-magazine.html

Curtis
04-27-2009, 11:16 PM
During the police investigation of my shooting accident, they were measuring the distance from the road and gave the distance as 1,000 feet. However, I wouldn't trust anything they said because of all the lies I know they told me. That was in Riverside County just off Highway 111....and it turned out to be private property. It took the Forest Service, Fish & Game, CHP, and Riverside County Sheriffs to figure that out.

Seesm
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
During the police investigation of my shooting accident, they were measuring the distance from the road and gave the distance as 1,000 feet. However, I wouldn't trust anything they said because of all the lies I know they told me. That was in Riverside County just off Highway 111....and it turned out to be private property. It took the Forest Service, Fish & Game, CHP, and Riverside County Sheriffs to figure that out.

Please tell more.... Or a link?

glockwise2000
04-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Interesting. tell us more.....

Curtis
04-28-2009, 2:54 AM
Please tell more.... Or a link?

This is a little more info. Okay, almost no information but fun x-rays. I should write out the entire experience. It took lots of effort to get my guns back.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1797803#post1797803

Dark&Good
04-28-2009, 3:03 AM
ENG417,
Please tell us the story.

I can't guarantee that we won't make funny remarks, but the humor can be your exchange for the story. Deal? :D

Curtis
04-28-2009, 5:58 AM
Dark&Good:

I posted my story. It is a little long, but I hope you enjoy. I do enjoy the funny remarks and comments.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2387696#post2387696

railroader
04-28-2009, 6:22 AM
ENG417, Were you shooting west of Palm Springs by Windy Point? I'm just asking because I use to shoot there but a sheriff came by one day and told me I couldn't shoot there. Mark

ohsmily
04-28-2009, 9:01 AM

Why were you shooting on private property? Did you know the owner?

Dark&Good
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for sharing, ENG417.
You and the people who helped are truly amazing.

Dark&Good
04-28-2009, 3:43 PM
I have vivid memories of everything up to the hospital. But have no memory of the next 5 days. When my wife arrives I am saying, “I can’t breath.” Doctors tell my wife “that’s a good sign.”

So, did your ability to breath come back ever since? :D :p

There, your exchange ;)